Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Why "gain a bonus minor action"?

<< < (2/4) > >>

MercilessMing:
"Spend a minor, get a minor" is the type of awkward needless complexity SR needs to be shedding.  If there's something meaningfully smaller than a Minor action, then there needs to be another action category.  IE  Free Actions, or DNI actions, or whatever.

Michael Chandra:
But they're not Free Actions. You must have a Minor left to do them, and some only apply once a turn. If I got 4 Minors, I can't go 'I'm doing a second attack, THEN do minor-for-minor stuff'.

ammulder:
It wouldn't matter if you want to switch your wireless smartgun firing mode until the cows come home.  I can see the cybered-up Street Sam endlessly changing firing modes as a nervous tic.  :)  Even so, if these things were just made free, there could be a rule that you can't perform the same free action more than once per turn, so at most you could eject a clip, put a new one in, and change the firing mode for your wireless smartgun all on the same round.  Doesn't seem like a big deal.

I guess the question is whether there are any of these bonus minor action things that would actually be offensive to perform after the rest of your actions for a turn.

I don't see any -- ejecting clips, folding bipods, changing the color of your clothes or gun, stuff like that.  The most questionable one I see in the core book is the Steel Lynx combat drone "Take Cover" action... and I could live if that one model of drone got a free "Take Cover" action at the end of its turn in exchange for removing this odd mechanic.

Odsh:

--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---But they're not Free Actions. You must have a Minor left to do them
--- End quote ---

Is that constraint really useful or needed? Or is it just a consequence of the awkward mechanisms imagined to avoid "free" actions?

MercilessMing:

--- Quote from: Odsh on ---
--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---But they're not Free Actions. You must have a Minor left to do them
--- End quote ---

Is that constraint really useful or needed? Or is it just a consequence of the awkward mechanisms imagined to avoid "free" actions?

--- End quote ---

In my real world experience this mechanic has not led to choices with interesting or meaningful consequences, nor has it led to preventing infinite action exploits.  It has however led to people tripping on this rule and then going back to do things in a slightly different order, which is a level of micromanagement of actions that roleplayers don't find fun because we're not playing a tactical board game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version