NEWS

Long Kiss Goodbye (IC)

• 687 Replies

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #15 on: <06-30-16/2315:59> »
[Dec. 31, 2075, Afternoon]

The drive to pick everyone up for the Howler's shindig was...unsurprisingly slow and long.  With it being New Years Eve, it seemed more people were out on the road, on their way to the various festivities and gatherings planned.  Usually not so bad, but when the mechanic got a bout of queasiness come up, sitting at a red light did not seem pleasant at all.   So, thankful for modern tech, Arc flipped on the van's autopilot and eased her seat back, laying back and shutting her eyes to rest.

All the while, she thought back to the previous few days...first thinking of that unfortunate text she got from Yelena....

>>Srui.  Is Yelena.  Marco break Yelena heart.  Love was lies.  Yelena is thrown from apartment.  May I return garage home?  Yelena go away for day, maybe two.  Maybe take Firefly.  Srui tell rigger man Yelena chop off many small parts and feed to something horrible if he hurt you.<<

Biting her lip, she pulled up her reply.  A pang of guilt crossed her mind as she reread what she wrote, but reassured herself it was the best response to give.

{Sent: 21:17 12-27-2075}<<Srui'ken kal...I can't imagine this is easy to go through.  I'm so sorry.  You deserve better than that.  Of course you may come back to the garage, you know that.  You do what you need to do for yourself...just promise me you'll come back, okay?  We'll talk then.  I have some...I feel like it would do some good.  And I will tell Jaime, no worries.   ...be safe, Srui.  Please.>>

Yeah....I think that worked well...I know she's back, hope she's doing a bit better  Feeling a little better, she remained eased back, just punching in her pickup routes and letting GridGuideTM be her friend in this case.  Closing her eyes, the short tusked girl let her mind wander back to the day after that text...and her lesson in teaching someone how to ride a bike...

[Dec. 28, 2075, Morning]

"Hoi hoi, ease up ease up.  Tha shift switch be a shtep, it ain't needa be pumped like a kick drum, omae!"

Arc was realizing really quick that things needed to be taken easy when teaching someone to drive...particularly a grown man of some seasoned years.  She was glad that she updated the electronics of the dirtbike to modern standards: the instruction on using the autopilot took little more than an hour of getting used to the concept of "sit down, hold on, relax arms."  But now, it was the more refined art of piloting the two-wheeled transport...

It seemed to be a bit more to it.  Brake level, throttle acceleration, gear shift on one of the pedals, and then the concept of turning...good thing she set up the autopilot to take over before a collision, but she let him take a few tries...it let her work out the nausea she was kicking off from a breakfast burrito that disagreed with her. 

"Aight....here, hop on behind me, I'll show you the motionsh for a bit.."  Stretching her shoulders, the mechanic zipped up her jacket against the cold and slid onto the bike, letting the PI sit behind her, his height providing easy view of what she was doing to operate the bike.   "we take it slow...just shift when it getsh to loud, yeah?"  Pulling on the throttle, the bike thrummed to life as they pulled forward, the parking lot a good playground to practice.

During this time, she opted to send a message to her garage partner in crime, Tuskaloosa, to see what she was up to.

<<@Tuskaloosa: Hoi omae.  Giving Jed a biking lesson, 2 blocks west of the mall on 78th.  Been an interesting rough coupla days, wanna blow off some steam.  Your babe's ride ready, wanna join us?>>

She kept her drive slow, working through a couple of turns, braking, and accelerating through a few gear shifts...giving the idea of shifting up gears before the engine got too fast or loud.  A little while later, she pulled up to a complete stop, leg kicking out to steady the bike as she turned her hair back.  "Queshtionsh?"

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-01-16/0249:55> »
@ Marco  The men turn to Marco and one of them, the man whose lighter had been stolen said "Go to hell! Bible thumper!" looking at Marco angrily. He takes the lipstick Marco throws but doesn't give it back.
« Last Edit: <07-11-16/1140:08> by ismilealot »
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-01-16/0906:10> »
Dec. 31st, 2075  22:12

@ Yelena It cuts through everything Yelena is doing. A call,  >>Tsina находится в движении. Go план. Знакомьтесь обуви Союз-Хилл, пять колоколов. Погладить собаку. Один час.<<

[spoiler]>>Tsina is in motion. Go plan. Meet shoe Union Hill, five bells. Pat the dog. One hour.<<[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <07-11-16/1143:46> by ismilealot »
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <07-01-16/1112:24> »
Tuesday   31 December 2075 

Without questioning her former mentor and lover, Yelena leaves the garage on her bike, headed for Union Hill.  She would figure out the rest of the message once she got there.  On the way, she sends out a message to everyone still going.  For a moment, her heart almost stops as she remembers that Marco took his own life and would not be coming.  Poor, confused Marco.  >>Team.  Is Yelena.  Have message from Nikolai.  Yelena go meeting then call with information.<<

Once in the Union Hill neighborhood, Yelena slows down to look for something to do with shoes, bells, and a dog.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-02-16/1111:37> »
Dec 31st  22:15
@ Yelena  It's dark on Union Hill. The city had given up trying to light the area long ago, after all, Union Hill's denizens did not want light on any part of their business. Only the light from passing vehicles illuminated the graffiti filled walls, flickering briefly on each scene.
« Last Edit: <07-05-16/2342:37> by ismilealot »

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-05-16/1806:59> »
December 31, Afternoon

Jed pulled up in front of Mike's office and parked the old bike.  It was too fucking cold for a motorcycle.  Maybe he should have taken the bus anyway.  When he hit that pothole he had thought it was all over.  Thank the spirits for Arc's lessons.  At least he wasn't hitting the throttle every time he made a corner anymore.  He'd done a lot of learning over the last few weeks.  At the thought of the time with Marco, sadness welled up.  It had been so sudden, so unexpected.  He had broken up with Yelena, and then he was gone.  Jed hadn't even seen the body before it was gone.  He'd toasted Marco in Irish fashion, but no proper funeral...It was unreal.

Stepping into the office, he saw Mike was on a call.  Helping himself to some of Mike's home brewed beer, he kicked back and waited.  Mike wasn't going to be thrilled with his trip.  Hell, he wasn't incredibly thrilled with it, but he really wanted to make sure Yelena and Arc came home.  The work they did together bringing down the club was good for the community and provided Jed with more scratch than he'd had in a long time.  Legitimate PI work didn't pay half as well. 

As Mike grabbed a beer for himself, Jed saw him swipe the call closed.  Mike plopped down, washed down 4 ibuprofen with a swig of cold suds.  "Client wanted me to follow her husband, and now she is mad at what I found.  Crazy bat is accusing me of doctoring the images.  As if I care.  Anyway, you ready for some R&R tonight."

Jed nodded as he drains his own glass.  I'm ready, but I'm not staying all night.  Gonna be too crowded for me."  Jed fidgeted a second.  Plus, I did a ritual and formed a watcher spirit today, so I'm a little tired.  I'm  a little disappointed.  My research on the spell suggested they were hella useful, but I had to create a pretty weak one just to succeed.  This was my fourth try.  Its kinda creepy that it looks so much like me.  Gazing at Mike he tried to gauge his mood.  Other than expressing annoyance with the client, the holiday seemed to have him in a good mood. I'm traveling to Poland with Yelena and a mechanic named Arc.  I need to have a backup plan to get everyone home.  A safe house,  and a coyote.  I don't know anyone with contacts in Poland.  I think they said we'd be in Poznan.  Any chance you can put me in touch with someone?
« Last Edit: <07-25-16/1054:14> by SmilinIrish »
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-06-16/0005:34> »
@ Jed  Mike looks at him for several long seconds and then says flatly, "You have fucking gone insane. You've gone potty over a woman and it's destroyed the last three brain cells you had keeping you safe." He waits a long minute for Jed to deny his accusation, and when he doesn't he sighs and shakes his head. Then calling up his contacts he sends Jed a name. "Victor Petrenko. PKL31K-2257L-NN75V. He knows me by the name of Mikahail Nedhoffer. Good man, he'll get you out."
« Last Edit: <07-08-16/1119:29> by ismilealot »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-06-16/1043:24> »
Yelena cruises Union Hill, looking for a dog to pat.  She expects that the shoe will show up once he is convinced that she is following the instructions given to her by Nikolai.  She looks at the pictures on the walls she drives past as well.  After all, the dog might be on the wall instead of being real.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <07-07-16/0626:39> »
Jed holds Mike's gaze steadily.  There is no point in denying the statement.  While it is slightly off the mark, the reality is close enough not to matter.  I know it doesn't make sense.  But these kids need someone watching their backs.  My plan is to stay in the background and keep an eye on things.  By the way, rent is due in a couple of weeks.  I'll either manage to pay it before I go, or wire some money.  I've set it up so that my important notices are copied to you.  If something happens and I lose the place, grab my stuff, will ya?  Anyway, lets go socialize.  I promise I'll try to make conversation with people.

As Mike locks up, Jed drops a quick message to Escher.  Hey buddy, just dropping you a quick line.  I'm headed to Poland soon.  We have our own Trix support, but if I need back up, can I give you a call?

Jed climbs in the passenger seat of Mike's second hand police cruiser cast off.  He tries to recount to Mike the people he's met at this party and relevant facts about them.  Its so hard to remember when you don't really care...
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-08-16/1128:14> »
@ Jed  Eschar calls him back immediately, >>Poland huh! Don't get into any strange cafe's there. And if you do call me! No worries about me getting you out of trouble. After all, who's better than me?<< Mike is in the mood to socialize, for Mike that means an extra beer and talking to a couple of contacts at the bar before playing darts. He's in a foul mood and that means he's an even better aim and soon has a tidy sum in bets in his pockets. Jed sees a couple of guys he knows and receives a half-hearted invite to a card game later.

@ Yelena  As Yelena drives around Union Hill she spots it. Graffiti on the wall. A Russian cathedral with five of the distinct onion domes and bells stacked in windows. She's almost got it's twin on her.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-08-16/1357:33> »
Yelena gives a wolfish grin as she sees the graffiti.  The picture is a pretty close match to one on her chest and she almost checks to see if the tag on the wall is the same before remembering that the artist who had inked it on her is now long dead.  Parking the bike, she goes to look at the small mural, admiring the artistry.  She puts out a hand to touch the wall and a few tears rise in her eyes.  It is the Russian state she has problems with, not Russia and not most of its people.  Despite all that was done to her in the name of the state, she will always be Russian and there will never be another place that she can really call home, even though she has not been back in years.

Wiping her eyes, Yelena looks closely at the mural for a dog, then at the area around her, including the nearby alley.

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-09-16/0943:52> »
@ Yelena  A man steps out of a shadow. He's huge, human, he's large enough to give many orcs a run for their money in a fair fight. But, nothing about him says the fight would be fair. His bald hair has metal spike implants, as do his knuckles, Yelena notes as he advances on her. His heavy leather garments are reminiscent of armor and he wears weapons openly on it, sporting both pistols and knives in various places on his body. His neck has a large studded collar with a heavy chain that extends down past his knee and is connected to his wrist. In a fight Yelena well knows it can be used quickly and efficiently to choke a victim. HIs voice when he speaks is a deep bass rumble, "Stupid does not deserve to live long. But, is good you bring me bike as payment for ending miserable life." A knife is in his hand as if placed there by magic as he advances on her.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-09-16/1434:02> »
Yelena is a predator and recognizes that the large man is one as well.  He may also be her contact as he could easily be considered the dog guarding this part of the street.  Wary of the knife, Yelena uncoils the whip from her finger and lets the lash fall to the ground, almost certainly invisible to the man approaching her.  "Николай направил мне найти башмака. Вы моего руководства?"  She repeats her words in English.  "Nikolai send.  Are you guide for shoe.?"

[spoiler]Nikolai sent me to find the shoe.  Are you my guide?

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-09-16/2339:51> »
@ Telena  The man pauses and his demeanor changes very subtly, no less dangerous and no less wary of her, his circle of protection now includes her as he looks to see if she's been followed. "Da."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-10-16/0231:11> »
Yelena retracts the whip back into her finger, glad that she has not had to fight the man.  "Where Yelena go?  Need take bike."