NEWS

Rigger Dossier Available

• 84 Replies

David Chart

• Newb
« on: <06-26-19/0249:36> »
The Rigger dossier is available, at least on DTRPG.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/281064/Shadowrun-Sixth-World-Dossier-Emu-Human-Rigger

And it's better than the new edition! (Hey, that's what it says right there in the blurb on the page.)
David Chart
Waiting for Ryumyo
http://www.davidchart.com/

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-26-19/0305:08> »
Wicked! Now I can include her in the Beginner Box session!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-26-19/0427:27> »
Hmmm.....

First off, let me lead with I do not have the full rules available, nor have I even looked at the QSR, combined with I understand the Core rules may differ from the QSR Dossiers.

There, that should get people to take the knot out of their panties.

From what I see in this dossier, Riggers are still the red-headed step children of the Shadowrun universe.

• Control Rig doesn't affect Initiative at all, so unless Jumped In actually changes Initiative they need Wired Reflexes as well to rig decently well.
  • Control Rig grants a point of Edge for Piloting Tests - can't weigh that in terms of usefulness, however if "feels" meager.
  • While totally sensible, the whole new attributes while jumped in mean Riggers have two basic paths:  Rely on their drones exclusively for combat, OR be MAD as all hell.
  • The dossier is screwed up in the charts at the end.  Emu's Jumped In Piloting pool should be 2 higher than Physical.  (This is because her Intuition is 2 higher than her Reaction.  Then she gets the two bonus dice from the Control Rig.)
  • Perception of 3, plus Intuition of 6, equals a base Perception pool of 9, not the 8 on the chart at the back.
  • It appears Drones can run Autosofts at the same time the RCC runs Autosofts.  (Or that is screwed up on the dossier as well.)
  • We don't get vehicle stats. :(
  • It looks like Commlinks do not get Firewall...
  • If the dossier is anything to go by, it looks like out of the gate characters are expected to get > 10K Nuyen a month - or poor character design.

My fears for Shadowrun 6e are growing now.  I put them off to see how Riggers were treated, and I am not impressed.

I won't throw anything resembling a fit until I see the Core rules for them.
« Last Edit: <06-26-19/0439:45> by Iron Serpent Prince »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-26-19/0504:36> »
Control Rig didn't change Initiative to begin with in SR5 afair. You simply were in HotSim. Zipfile's info also doesn't list hotsim initiative, nor is Matrix Iniative supplied, so it seems QSR simply doesn't include any info on more-dice modes. Note to self: Figure out what those should be.

The rules also note the Control Rig adds bonus dice. The edge point instead of threshold reduction sounds more balanced tbh.

Vehicle statblocks are on the Beginner Box Cards. Speaking of statblocks: Some of the commlinks in the QSR have a low Firewall rating. But yeah, the firewall on commlinks seems significantly lower.

I'm not that worried about MAD Riggers. They can now consider dropping Reaction while keeping Intuition high, and ditch Agility entirely if they want. Makes it easier to build a Decker/Rigger too. You can now have a clear distinction between the physical riggers and the jumped-in riggers, without jumped-in being 500% superior vehicle-control-wise. I kinda like that.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-26-19/0516:39> »
Control Rig didn't change Initiative to begin with in SR5 afair.

So what does that have to do with the price of tea in Deecee?  We are talking about 6e now, not how 5e drekked all over Riggers.

The point is, bonus dice equal to the rating of the Control Rig does not even begin to compare to the Street Sam you are chasing (or being chased by) getting more actions while behind the wheel.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <06-26-19/0533:32> »
You say 'Control Rig doesn't give initiative at all'. But it didn't in SR5 either. Or in SR4. However, in both of those you did not have pure basic meatplane Initiative when jumped in, you were using Matrix Initiative. So I'm not sure why you're automatically assuming a Rigger won't get extra Initiative and Minor Actions when Jumped In, based on Control Rig description.

As for the price of tea in Deecee, I'm not sure why you're suddenly talking about that. Did I miss some tea-smuggling joke? What does tea have to do with the QSR?
« Last Edit: <06-26-19/0535:16> by Michael Chandra »

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-26-19/0536:54> »
So I'm not sure why you're automatically assuming a Rigger won't get extra Initiative and Minor Actions when Jumped In, based on Control Rig description.

Speaking of assumptions.  Pot, Kettle.

Clearly, your panty knot is still securely tied.

I made exactly zero claims this is how it will be in the Core Rules.  But you are free to go back and actually find where I did.  Don't expect me to wait for you.

So why don't you quit trying to start fights on the forums, and actually learn to play nice?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-26-19/0558:05> »
Gentlemen...RELAX.

SR Mod

Cubby

• Deniable Asset
  • Newb
  • Communications
« Reply #8 on: <06-26-19/0848:17> »
The dossier wasn't expected to be live until later today, so unfortunately I was not able to start a thread as I usually do with the following post via Jason Hardy, Line Developer:

New Shadowrun Beginner Box Dossier and Release Info!

Do you have the Shadowrun, Sixth World Beginner Box? Do you want a preview at how characters in that ruleset will look? Do you just want free Shadowrun stuff? There’s no wrong reason to download the character dossier for Emu, the human rigger! It’s now available!

And it’s a great time to share Beginner Box material with you, because the box itself is nearing release. The official street date is July 10–two weeks from now—but you might want to pay attention to your friendly local game store, because some copies might show up in advance of that. So if you want your first look at the next edition of one of gaming’s greatest settings, keep your eyes open!

Of course, the Beginner Box is the first step of the journey to the release of the full Shadowrun, Sixth World core rulebook, which will go on sale August 1 at Gen Con. We’ll be counting down until that week with more blog posts and information about that book, including the following:

July 3: Magic in SR6
July 10: Combat in SR6
July 17: Matrix in SR6
July 24: How to describe 30 years of Shadowrun history
July 31: Gen Con preview!

We look forward to sharing more about this edition of Shadowrun, and we’re especially excited to get people playing!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #9 on: <06-26-19/1031:50> »
So I'm not sure why you're automatically assuming a Rigger won't get extra Initiative and Minor Actions when Jumped In, based on Control Rig description.

Speaking of assumptions.  Pot, Kettle.

Clearly, your panty knot is still securely tied.

I made exactly zero claims this is how it will be in the Core Rules.  But you are free to go back and actually find where I did.  Don't expect me to wait for you.

So why don't you quit trying to start fights on the forums, and actually learn to play nice?

Try not to take it personally ISP. I think Chandra is just having a worse then usual month, you should read his most recent post in SR 6 info, it's something special. I don't recall any community being accused of quite so many things in one post before, and best of all Banshee give it a plus one. It's good to know what folks think.

I wouldn't get too concerned about character design in the Dossier, if past performance is indicative of anything, example characters are generally pretty terrible. So odds are it's both poorly built, and very possibly error ridden. I believe the +1 gear edge thing is intended to be strong in this edition. It is interesting that doesn't actually tell us what a smartgun does. It looks like it doesn't add to shooting pools, as the pool doesn't include it. But I do have to agree with you, have a character devoted to driving vehicles without actually having vehicle stats is problematic. Maybe the car in the item cards?

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-26-19/1100:10> »
I'm quite familiar with how bad premade / example characters tend to be.

Without the Core Rules to compare to, we simply do not have any indication how good or bad these dossiers are when examined outside the vacuum of the QSR.

I find it hard to believe that a second Initiative value for when interacting with machinery (such as the Rigger, or Decker) is considered "too complex" for the quick start rules.  It just doesn't instill me with confidence.

As far as vehicle stats in cards, if they exist in the box set, the Rigger player isn't told to take them.

Quote from: Rigger Dossier
Take the following cards to use during a game: Armor jacket, Renraku Sensei commlink, and MCT-Nissan Roto-Drone.

The character is 200K in debt to buy vehicles....  And the player doesn't even get to fantasize about using them....

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #11 on: <06-26-19/1139:03> »
I find it hard to believe that a second Initiative value for when interacting with machinery (such as the Rigger, or Decker) is considered "too complex" for the quick start rules.  It just doesn't instill me with confidence.

Uhm, right underneath Init there are lines for matrix and astral init, so those are a thing. Why the matrix isn’t filled out for her I don’t know. Maybe they went with a jumped in rigger (the only way to use matrix init while rigging previously) is still very much in control of a meat world body/object, even if not their own and decided to stick with that.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <06-26-19/1145:33> »
Uhm, right underneath Init there are lines for matrix and astral init, so those are a thing.

Zipfile's info also doesn't list hotsim initiative, nor is Matrix Iniative supplied, so it seems QSR simply doesn't include any info on more-dice modes.

So, it appears to be deliberately left out for all other Initiative ratings.

So....

I find it hard to believe that a second Initiative value for when interacting with machinery (such as the Rigger, or Decker) is considered "too complex" for the quick start rules.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-26-19/1156:27> »
*shrug* Don’t know then. I do know that full digital and astral space can get pretty complex so maybe they just decided to focus on meat space for quick start, and leave the blanks to fill in once full rules hit.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <06-26-19/1208:43> »
The dossier wasn't expected to be live until later today, so unfortunately I was not able to start a thread as I usually do with the following post via Jason Hardy, Line Developer:

New Shadowrun Beginner Box Dossier and Release Info!

Do you have the Shadowrun, Sixth World Beginner Box? Do you want a preview at how characters in that ruleset will look? Do you just want free Shadowrun stuff? There’s no wrong reason to download the character dossier for Emu, the human rigger! It’s now available!

And it’s a great time to share Beginner Box material with you, because the box itself is nearing release. The official street date is July 10–two weeks from now—but you might want to pay attention to your friendly local game store, because some copies might show up in advance of that. So if you want your first look at the next edition of one of gaming’s greatest settings, keep your eyes open!

Of course, the Beginner Box is the first step of the journey to the release of the full Shadowrun, Sixth World core rulebook, which will go on sale August 1 at Gen Con. We’ll be counting down until that week with more blog posts and information about that book, including the following:

July 3: Magic in SR6
July 10: Combat in SR6
July 17: Matrix in SR6
July 24: How to describe 30 years of Shadowrun history
July 31: Gen Con preview!

We look forward to sharing more about this edition of Shadowrun, and we’re especially excited to get people playing!

I do love that she has the battle cry of riggers everywhere, “Stop shooting my drones!” Overall seems decent enough. Good skills, relevant stats, and some secondary roll skills. I did notice her knowledge skills didn’t have a rating, so that’s interesting.

I haven’t unpacked my box yet, so I can’t compare her to the others, but overall seems like a solid intro character for quick start. Looking forward to the informational blog posts!