NEWS

Upcoming Releases, Vol. 1

• 38 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <06-24-19/0220:10> »
To be fair, they're very cheap dice in comparison to other aluminum products. But it's a bit of a shame that they're purely pretty boys without proper utility due to this stuff.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <06-24-19/1910:49> »
Well, I just checked one of my sets and one die is wedged in there so tightly, it won't come out. >:(

adzling

« Reply #32 on: <06-24-19/1911:57> »
welcome to the club Pixel.  :-\

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-24-19/1918:44> »
I've raised a ticket with the web store...will advise what I learn.

adzling

« Reply #34 on: <06-24-19/1924:09> »
you're a stand up guy ;-)

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #35 on: <06-24-19/2314:51> »
To be fair, they're very cheap dice in comparison to other aluminum products. But it's a bit of a shame that they're purely pretty boys without proper utility due to this stuff.

Not really that much cheaper. I've found sites selling Al dice at ~$5/die, and none of them charge $30 for a case. Or have dice stick in said case.

Hopefully people will get replacements, and an apology from Catalyst.

And to be fair, you shouldn't have to stick up for a company's lack of quality control, no matter how much you like their products.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #36 on: <06-25-19/0032:07> »
Not really that much cheaper. I've found sites selling Al dice at ~$5/die, and none of them charge $30 for a case. Or have dice stick in said case.
True, cheap aluminum dice exist at $6, but those may not be listed as aircraft-grade. I did my research before with comparison to a few sites, including Norse Foundry, and actually their cases are more expensive (and very wide since they must fit anything from d4 to d20, so nothing can get stuck). Their aircraft-grade dice are also significantly more expensive, at $100 for a D&D set.

I'm not going to roll these much so I'm fine with the can. =) They're rather cheap for metal dice anyway, Norse Foundry's cheapest d6 is $6, coloured pairs are $20 while a set of 4 Fate Dice is at $35 (and not listed as Aircraft grade). Their relatively-fancy Aircraft grade D&D sets are at $100 or more, +$40 for a container. So these puppies aren't that expensive compared to NF standards.

But I agree that having the dice stick in the cases kind of defies the whole 'precision-crafted' aspect. Though I'm not going to blame that on Catalyst's "lack of quality control", since Catalyst obviously outsourced this product and I see no reason to assume Catalyst didn't make them send a proof and validated that proof to be as perfect as 2 of my dice turned out to be. I personally didn't realise this could be a problem either, though a company should be a bit more careful than a consumer I guess.

Anyway, to make sure Catalyst picks a better partner next time, even if it means more expensive dice, I think I'll make a note to the webstore so it's available feedback, and throw in a mediocre review. Fortunately I bought mine just to be pretty boys, so I'm fine, but the complications here both screw over some box-owners and mean the dice may not be as reliable as some hoped for.

Edit: Whups. I'm so used to DriveThruRPG that I didn't realise there's no way to review these on the webstore. Ahwell. I sent in feedback regarding the disappointing lack of precision-crafting. Since I'm fortunate enough to A: not have anything stuck, and B: not needing to roll these anyway, I made it clear I personally didn't need replacements, but that the quality was unfortunately not as hoped for.
« Last Edit: <06-25-19/0058:14> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #37 on: <06-25-19/0125:49> »
I got mine a few days ago but since I was too stingy to get a case I cannot comment on quality other than looks which is nice.
They feel heavy though but I suspect that’s because I’m normally used to plastic dice.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-25-19/1228:54> »
To be honest, I doubt these issues have much to do with CGL per se, rather with their supplier. I can’t imagine anyone ordering dice that aren’t symmetrical...the manufacturer needs to step up and confirm tier QC (or lack thereof). I do hold CGL ultimately responsible for addressing and sorting the issue though as they are the vendor I purchased from.