NEWS

I can finally shut up...

• 38 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #15 on: <09-20-12/0449:52> »
That reminds me of a time we had two Quebecois come to the Pizza Hut I used to work at in Florida. They were demanding a "french menu" and were trying to speak to me in french. I recognized the language, but...in one of those moments of evil inspiration, I responded with (deliberately butchering the pronounciation using American letter pronounciations) "No habla el espanol, only habla el english."  Look on their face? PRICELESS!

Speaking as someone who deals with horrible accents and 12-year-old "translators" that are the only English speakers in the family (also for Pizza The Hut!)... I have to say that's a hilarious bit of payback.

Also, at the risk of straying too close to real-world politics, let me point out the amusing role-reversal there, considering the negative stereotype of Americans as being the only people in the world that have a culturocentric attitude when we go abroad.
« Last Edit: <09-20-12/0503:05> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-20-12/0657:01> »
Also, at the risk of straying too close to real-world politics, let me point out the amusing role-reversal there, considering the negative stereotype of Americans as being the only people in the world that have a culturocentric attitude when we go abroad.

One of "my" universal constants: "There are assholes everywhere...no one has a monopoly"  Though at time, I must admit, it does seem that some parts of the world try to challenge and shatter that concept.  ;D

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #17 on: <09-20-12/0814:23> »
Well, I'll start by saying I'm one of those french Québecois. And AJ here is right, assholes comes from everywhere. In their defense, I'll say that there is pretty much a "Quebecer Village" in Florida and sometimes you figure there's chance you might be able to order in french but clearly those two were just assholes. I also have a pretty similar story (well I have a lot more than one involving americans).

The town I grew up in is somewhat famous for successful fishing and hunting expeditions and we had people coming from around the world for these activities everywhere. Not that many, but enough to notice in such a small town. Needless to say, we get a few Americans each year. In that particular story, four hunters from the US had a successful hunting expedition (one big moose and I suspect they reached their limit on partriges). I was eating in a restaurant when these four came and sat at the table besides me. When the waitress came and they gave their orders, she had difficulty communicating in english. She was trying her best, she was clearly understanding what they were saying but unable to reply in an understandable english. I was gonna step up and help as a translator but one of them shouted to her something that ressembled this: "You're useless! Is there anyone in this shitty town who speaks a real language?". Both him and his buddies laughed. I looked at them and said: "I speak two real languages but I don't speak to assholes. They're ugly, hairy and their breath smells like shit!" (adding to the fact that they had been in the woods for nearly two weeks, I thought it was clever)". Everyone laughed at they were pretty pissed. Their order came and they ate as fast as they could. When came time to pay, they only had American dollars and were upset that the restaurant had a "Canadian currency only" policy. She told them (well I translated) to use a credit card or to go to the ATM at the entrance.

I got many more stories of American tourists who thinks the US owns the world and should be treated as royalty, but I chose not to let that influence my judgement. People are people no matter the differences. After all, I went four times in the US (and liked most of my experiences) and my ex-girlfriend was an American from NYC.
« Last Edit: <09-20-12/0817:19> by Smiley »
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <09-20-12/1329:48> »
Yep, there are assholes everywhere.  I'm proof of that.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-20-12/1425:58> »
I got many more stories of American tourists who thinks the US owns the world...

We do own the world. We kept the deed locked up in Fort Knox. That was the reason the US military trained our armor units at Fort Knox? If somebody wanted to grab the deed they would have to traverse the United States, get into Kentucky, only to come face-to-face with one of the most terrifying things on the planet:

A United States Marine with an M1 Abrams.

^_^
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <09-21-12/0131:03> »
I thought the most terrifying thing in the world was a Newfie with an unlimited supply of high explosives?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-21-12/0654:32> »
Well, I'll start by saying I'm one of those french Québecois. And AJ here is right, assholes comes from everywhere. In their defense, I'll say that there is pretty much a "Quebecer Village" in Florida and sometimes you figure there's chance you might be able to order in french but clearly those two were just assholes. I also have a pretty similar story (well I have a lot more than one involving americans).

I got many more stories of American tourists who thinks the US owns the world and should be treated as royalty, but I chose not to let that influence my judgement. People are people no matter the differences. After all, I went four times in the US (and liked most of my experiences) and my ex-girlfriend was an American from NYC.

For the record, my comments were not focused on French-Canadians...tried to point out that no one has a unique claim to having all the asshats in the world... ::)

Also, for the record (can't believe I used that phrase twice in the same post), I too was born in Quebec... ;)

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-21-12/1042:57> »
I thought the most terrifying thing in the world was a Newfie with an unlimited supply of high explosives?

Please. I know how to handle a Newfie:

"Right. Well, if you've decided to blow me up I guess that's that. But before you do, can you explain to me the process? Detailed, please, I'd like to make sure I understand this process."

While he's slowly explaining things, use that opportunity to just walk away. By the time he's done, you should be a few miles off.

Also, for the record (can't believe I used that phrase twice in the same post), I too was born in Quebec...

Something I promise I won't hold against you.

:D
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #23 on: <09-22-12/0329:40> »
All this talk keeps reminding me of Galen at Origins a couple of years ago playing the NPC Laurent Nazaire in the Shadowrun Scramble, overhearing him roar at a player, "Of COURSE I know zat! I'm French-Canadian! I know everyzing!" in a comedically bad accent.

-k

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-22-12/0659:40> »
Something I promise I won't hold against you.

:D

You truly have no idea how that makes me feel...  ;D

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-22-12/0902:43> »
All this talk keeps reminding me of Galen at Origins a couple of years ago playing the NPC Laurent Nazaire in the Shadowrun Scramble, overhearing him roar at a player, "Of COURSE I know zat! I'm French-Canadian! I know everyzing!" in a comedically bad accent.

I'm picturing a male version of Rosanna Arquette's character Sophie Oseransky, from The Whole Nine Yards.
Power corrupts.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-22-12/0945:21> »

^_^
Or as we like to say " A Marine Corps Rifleman with a REALLY BIG RIFLE"

Semper Fi
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #27 on: <09-23-12/0028:44> »

^_^

Semper Fi

i disagree, not a big rifle, a big gun (A: not rifled, B: purely for fun!!)
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-23-12/0234:34> »

^_^

Semper Fi

Um...the Abrams 120 mm hi-vec is rifled the last I heard...

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #29 on: <09-23-12/0237:06> »

^_^

Semper Fi

Um...the Abrams 120 mm hi-vec is rifled the last I heard...

Not exactly.

The M86 105mm was rifled, but the M256 120mm they replaced it with is smooth-bore.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me