NEWS

Re: [IC] Prelude: Teddy

• 64 Replies

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <10-10-16/2258:01> »
Talk to Oz about that I'm sure he'll pay you though.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <10-10-16/2307:53> »
Tedd nods and says "Thanks Gunderson, I really needed a break."  and then leaves. Before entering the car he texts Oz >> Oz, I was thinking about working your car in the morning, give me a buzz when you wake up. With that Tedd walks to his buggy and drives home.  Not before checking the balance on his stolen credstick.
« Last Edit: <10-10-16/2311:08> by gilga »

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-11-16/2211:06> »
There's 600 nuyen on the stickand Oz texts back almost immediately.

I'd appreciate that.  Don't rip me off though...I'll know.

You get back to the pump station and check out the car.  It's still smoldering.  The car seems to have overheated do to the bullet holes in the grill that penetrated the radiator, the hoses are fucked and the engine has thrown a rod on top of it all.  It might be cheaper just to buy a new one, but you think you can still fix it, though you will need time parts and a lot of elbow grease.  You estimate out of pocket expenses to be around 1200 but a rebuild like this could get you 5K if you pressed it a little.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-11-16/2301:50> »
Tedd has 1700 Nguyen, enough to make the repair though in that case he better do it well as there is rent and the interest on the debit. Things look a bit grim, but that car might get him to survive another month somehow, if he actually manages to fix it.

>> I will never rip you of Oz, I know better.  It will not be cheap though - you need to understand it as there is some serious damage.  The radiator is fucked and the engine needs some love. Many mechanics will just tell you to buy a new one car but I can bring it to life again just like I did to the buggy. Will give you an exact estimate in the morning as there may be things that I missed during the night.

In the morning Tedd will either give Kira the comlinks to strip for parts, or will do so himself.
[spoiler]
I rolled for Tedd - but if she is not busy Kira can extract more value out of the burners.
Stripping comlinks for parts: 2#10d6t5 1 3
Tedd nets 0.5 packs from the cannibalization they are worth 125 nuyen and he can fence it to Kira for 38. (loyalty*5%) or just give it to her as a favor.  They are good friends after all.
[/spoiler]

Once that is done he will spend the time in junk yards and auto shops trying to find the parts that he need to make the repair, where he plans to work on the car as if his life depend on it, his only priority for mechanical work is shadow work. Tedd is motivated by establishing himself as a reliable mechanic so that he can survive.

« Last Edit: <10-11-16/2306:52> by gilga »

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-11-16/2320:02> »
It's good you double checked in the morning, the oil pan is cracked and one of the struts has broken free from a shock.  After checking scrap yards and a few shops you are able to put together the parts for 1600 nu-yen.  Those parts aren't very labor intensive  to replace so you think 5500 would be a reasonable price but this work if done well could be worth as much as 6k.

[spoiler]I'm going to go with a 1 day extended test /10 or 6 hour /20 if you'd prefer to do other things during your days.  Your choice.[/spoiler]

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <10-11-16/2340:53> »
Tedd will work on the car since he wakes up, until he drops, he notifies Oz of the damages and gives him an estimate of the restore price of 6k, knowing that Oz may negotiate him down from that price if the quality is not satisfying. Once he assembles the parts he begins working full days on the car. 

[spoiler]
He has a special work area so it gives him +1 for supperior conditions and I assume that it is not difficult to find plans for the car for another +1 or +2 if he can find augmented reality plans.
(augmented reality.
Repair + modifiers: 11d6t5 4 Day 1   4 hits with AR, 3 with regular plans.
Repair + modifiers: 10d6t5 3 Day 2   7 hits with AR, 5 with regular plans.
Repair + modifiers: 9d6t5 2 Day 3 , 9 hits with AR, 10 with regular plans.
Repair + modifiers: 8d6t5 5 Day 4 14 hits with AR, 11 with regular plans.
Repair + modifiers: 7d6t5 1
Repair + modifiers: 6d6t5 0 (no glitch)

If I understood correctly the threshold was 10 so Tedd pulled it off. With AR I'd say he can even pull it off very nicely. Without it the quality is reasonable but not spectacular.
[/spoiler]

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <10-15-16/2253:03> »
You begin the first day of your project pulling the engine out.  cleaning out the detritus in the car and tossing the burnt hoses and belts.  Most of the day will be taking apart the engine and cleaning it to have a clear look at what it is you are fixing.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <10-16-16/0227:49> »
Tedd worked rigorously on the engine, cleaning up what could work and tossing to a 'junk' pile the parts that were beyond repair.  Around noon his flatmate, Kira awakens and still yawning she leaves the shop and says "A new project? do you think you can get that car to work... it seems bad."  Tedd smiles at her and say "Well... my life depends on my ability to restore it so..."   

The decker replied "Well, you are too serious, I am sure that Gunderson would not have covered your debt unless he had some plan of how you are going to repay him."

Tedd say "I do not share this optimism, but it is encouraging that you do not worry.  I had a run yesterday. "

Kira said "Oh really... how was it?"

Tedd said "Driving was fun, running over a person was terrible and so was transporting him to that strip club."

Kira said "You'll get used to it, I think. "

Tedd said "I never thought I'll be doing that kind of thing to make a living ya know... Oh but I got a little something for you." He said with a grin.

He goes to his buggy and hands her the two burners "Comlinks are garbage, not worth stealing but the parts are good. "

Kira pockets the comlinks in her purse and said "Thank you Teddy, you really know how to pumper a girl." She was only half sarcastic, she loved scavenging electronics and then using them for odd modifications of other electronics."

The rest of the day was uneventful and the two only meet once for dinner.

« Last Edit: <10-16-16/0236:06> by gilga »

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <11-11-16/2159:22> »
You sleep through the night.  you have a few hours to kill and still keep on schedule.  You could run a few errands or get an early start, or blow the whole thing off and hit the strip club.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <11-12-16/0406:30> »
Teddy gets an early start, he knows that his life hang on a limb and that he has to get it right to be able to pay Gunderson and come up with his part of rent, Tedd is too shy and too conservative to truly enjoy a strip club or anything of that nature. Had he grew anywhere else, Tedd would have been a nerdy good boy rather than a criminal.

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <12-18-16/2053:28> »
Teddy finishes the scheduled work for the day and sees an opportunity, if he pulls another half shift today and tomorrow he could be done with the car after just three days instead of four.  time is money but then he would be working eating and sleeping for two days straight with no down time.  Is it worth it he ponders.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <12-22-16/1421:36> »
Teddy decides not to rush the work, he want it done well and he wants it done thoroughly and he wants to test it 10 times before delivering the car to Oz.  He knows that if he is to establish himself as a mechanic there are no shortcuts and he should not be that tired when nobody is pressuring him to finish. After all, if he does it well, Oz and Gunderson are going to send more work down his way.

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <12-30-16/2123:03> »
You get your scheduled work done early and knock off to join Kira for dinner.  She seems to be in a hurry.  As she loads her plate and starts digging in before even sitting down.

Help yourself.  I gotta rush though, I got a job across town.  I'll be gone a few days, but I'll have my com if you need anything.

You think to yourself If I push on tonight and get up early I could have the car done by noon, quick and reliable.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <12-31-16/0250:48> »
Teddy answers "Well if you need a hand, I should be free tomorrow noon if I push it. I can deck, I've been practicing like crazy."

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <12-31-16/1616:06> »
Nah, I can handle it.  Thanks though,  she says with a wink.  After a little small talk she takes off and leaves you to finish in silence.