Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

[6e] Sensors & arrays

<< < (2/3) > >>

ammulder:
Michael Chandra, that sounds really sensible, thanks!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: ammulder on ---...
But when do you ever buy a "Sensor Array" for 1000¥ x (# of sensors)?  You didn't buy one in your handheld example, nor in your building-install example.  I'm not clear on what benefit an "array" brings to the table beyond what you already get from a group of individual sensors...

--- End quote ---

You know, I literally never noticed that line on the chart.  I honestly thought the array was just what you organically had when you put anywhere between 2 to 8 sensors in one housing.  Good catch!

As for what's the benefit you gain from paying for the array after you've already paid for the sensors and the housing... frankly I don't know.  It does seem to me that there's no games-mechanics reason to have to have the array, other than complying with paying the entire price the book says you should.  That handheld "Fallout exploration" sensor I postulated in scenario 1 would therefore tack 2,000 nuyen onto the price, basically for no in-game reason that I can discern.

Odsh:
Let's say I have an ultrasound sensor that I use in tandem with an ultrasound link so that I can see invisible enemies and stuff.

From my understanding, I need:

* The ultrasound link, in some goggles for example, for 300 nuyen. It takes 1 from the goggles' capacity.
* The "single" sensor with the ultrasound function, which I pick at rating 1 for 100 nuyen. Since its rating is less or equal to 2, it fits in the goggles too. Does it eat up some of the goggles' capacity? If yes, how much?
I don't see why I would need anything of this to be wireless enabled - so nothing is.
I don't have a sensor array, so according to the rules, I can't use the sensor rating in place of my Perception skill for Perception tests (why does this only work for arrays?). Anyway, that's not what I need the sensor for, so I don't care.

And thus, the sensor rating is meaningless for me.

Correct?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
The rules for sensor arrays ARE rather convoluted.

But I'll try to join you on your journey through those rules-weeds:

--- Quote from: Odsh on ---Let's say I have an ultrasound sensor that I use in tandem with an ultrasound link so that I can see invisible enemies and stuff.

From my understanding, I need:

* The ultrasound link, in some goggles for example, for 300 nuyen. It takes 1 from the goggles' capacity.
* The "single" sensor with the ultrasound function, which I pick at rating 1 for 100 nuyen. Since its rating is less or equal to 2, it fits in the goggles too. Does it eat up some of the goggles' capacity? If yes, how much?
--- End quote ---

I'd say you're on the right track so far.  Since the sensor has a given capacity cost, I'd say you'd just use that same capacity against the goggles' limit.  It's not explicit that you CAN use capacity for one type of gear inside the capacity allowance granted by another type of gear, but this is a situation where it makes perfect sense to say you can.

--- Quote ---I don't see why I would need anything of this to be wireless enabled - so nothing is.
--- End quote ---

"why is anything ever wireless" is a meta argument we don't need to hash over in this thread.  But regardless, nothing's stopping you from running gear wireless off, so certainly you can run your hypothetical goggles wireless-off!

--- Quote ---I don't have a sensor array, so according to the rules, I can't use the sensor rating in place of my Perception skill for Perception tests (why does this only work for arrays?).
--- End quote ---

I can't say.  It is what it is.  Of course, if you DID have the money to burn you could in effect "buy" a great perception dice pool via a sensor array built into your goggles/helmet, without having to rely on skill points/karma to get there!

--- Quote ---Anyway, that's not what I need the sensor for, so I don't care.

And thus, the sensor rating is meaningless for me.

Correct?

--- End quote ---

I'd say that's it's only "mostly" correct.  Inside the realm of GM fiat, virtually anything can happen and 6e puts GM fiat onto almost everything. I suppose that if there's a context where the only sort of perception you have available is ultrasound (completely blind and deaf otherwise) someone could roll Stealth vs your Sensor rating rather than you getting to roll Perception.  And of course a measly rating 1 sensor is gonna be much easier to fool/slip by than a rating 6 one.

That's fairly niche, though.  Because how often are you really GOING to be completely reliant on a sensor for your own perception?  I suppose the only time it'd feasibly happen is if you're in VR and your real world senses are completely shut off, and you're monitoring the ultrasound imagery from VR.  THAT... is a case you'll want to splurge on a nice rating.

What might be more common is a GM saying you have to roll the lower of the two between your skill and your sensor, if you're relying MOSTLY on the sensor rather than absolutely.  Such a case might be total darkness with no thermo, or thick hot smoke that blocks all vision even thermo, coupled with a loud cacophony masking the gentle rustling sounds made by someone trying to sneak. If I were your GM, I very well might force you to roll perception but with the sensor in place of your skill.  OTOH, in a situation where the sensor is perfect for the situation I might call the rating as bonus dice from gear for your attribute + skill test.

And either way, if there were a contested situation where the better quality can affect the outcome (you're fighting another dude in pitch darkness but you're both relying on ultrasound to see) I'd say the higher rating is by default winning the situational edge.

Odsh:
Thanks for the detailed answer Stainless Steel Devil Rat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version