NEWS

New contacts as per BTB

• 8 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« on: <02-04-19/0217:38> »
...So reading the 1.3 FAQ concerning upgrading  Contacts after chargen using Karma.  Is it is now possible to purchase new contacts? and what is the cost?
« Last Edit: <02-04-19/0220:12> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-19/1053:02> »
That is not covered in BTB or the FAQ.  GMs are given fairly broad latitude in giving contacts to characters, if you think you did something to warrant getting one of the NPCs you've met in the Mission as a contact, suggest it to the GM.

If your GMs don't realize they have this tool, let us know here.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #2 on: <02-04-19/1859:27> »
...hmm, in the latest release, Section 26, "Better Than Bad", bottom of page 75, it mentions that Karma can be used to increase a personal (not Mission Specific) contact's loyalty and connection referencing p. 164 of the supplement. 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-19/1901:08> »
...hmm, in the latest release, Section 26, "Better Than Bad", bottom of page 75, it mentions that Karma can be used to increase a personal (not Mission Specific) contact's loyalty and connection referencing p. 164 of the supplement.

I'm sure that applies to the contacts you made up during chargen.  I'd *imagine* it also applies to NPCs the GM awarded you that weren't pre-programmed awards from a debrief log.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-19/1908:07> »
...what about picking up a new contact that isn't a missions specific one?   Would this still apply?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-19/1921:17> »
BTB doesn't grant the possibility of just buying new contacts outright with karma/street cred.  unless I'm missing it?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-19/1938:07> »
...yeah I don't have the book yet so not sure how it actually reads.  I though I heard that one could use Karma to purchase and build up a new contact.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-04-19/1947:24> »
...yeah I don't have the book yet so not sure how it actually reads.  I though I heard that one could use Karma to purchase and build up a new contact.

Improve existing ones, yes.  Buy entirely new ones, no.

New ones are "free" anyway.. just meet the GM's satisfaction that you've impressed the NPC anyway and BAM instant contact :)

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #8 on: <02-04-19/2109:12> »
...yeah Leela received the Professor from Lost Islands Found as a contact as she impressed him with her knowledge of the Fae Realm (she was previously in the Pepka Series) and also attends his lectures in her off time (after the end of season 8 she relocated to Seattle and only ends up in CMPs she hasn't been in yet).

Was hoping to find a Chemist/Doctor contact to replace Dr Tate with to get Designer Grade drugs from.