NEWS

[SR4] Beginner need some help on a few basic subjects

• 3 Replies

Paehrin

• Newb
« on: <09-29-19/1206:10> »
So, I know it seems to be a complicated topic, I read a few of them here and or Reddit... But, as I'm still begining in the game and as a DM, I still have a few questions, especially about mixed movement type in a turn.

According to the SR4A book (p 149) :
If a character mixed his modes of movement during a Combat
Turn and it becomes important to know exactly how far the character
moved in a particular pass, simply divide his Movement Rate by the
number of passes in that turn.

• If I understand this well, with a human street sam with 3IP
    IP1 : walk 3m (and use his 2 simple and one free action for something else than movement)
    IP2 : decide to run for 8m (using his free action and spending his 2 simple actions on something else than movement)
    IP3 : decide to sprint for 9m (using 1 simple action, rolling 3 hits and using his remaining free and simple action for something else than movement)
    Is that correct ?
  • Say in the same case, the street sam only rolled 1 hit on his sprint roll in the last IP... would he only have sprint for 8m then ?
  • If in the IP3 the street sam decide to instead stay put and shoot, does he still get the penalty for running ?
  • In the same case, if there is also a human mage that wants to run (but only have 1IP), does he run 25m in the first IP, or 8m in each IP, being unable to do anything else in IP2 and IP3 ? It seems that each of those solutions have their problems

On another subject :
If in a round where there's only 1 IP (no one have extra IPs) and a player throws a grenade... :
  • does this create a new "empty" IP for this round where nothing happens except the grenade explodes ? In this case, how does this interact with movement from each character if they should've only moved half their speed per IP ?
OR
  • Does the grenade detonate on the second round, at the initiative the thrower had in the first round ? In this case, wouldn't that allow most of the targets to simply move out of the way before it explodes ?

During character creation, one of my player asked me a question that puzzled me. He was looking at the magic section, and specifically initiation... And he asked me : Is there a maximum number of time you can go through it ? I know it's capped by your Magic attribute, but since going through Initiation seems to increase your Magic attribute, it would seem you can do it an infinite amount of time, and therefor having your Magic attribute going through the roof.
And while on the subject, do starting magician start at initiation level 0 or 1 (and therefor have a metamagic from the get go) ?

Sorry if this is a lot, but thanks in advance for your patience !

Thanks in advance for your help !

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-19/1214:08> »
Initiation starts at 0 and yes theoretical it's infinite. But both initiation and training times and costs will keep rising.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-29-19/1531:35> »
  • In the same case, if there is also a human mage that wants to run (but only have 1IP), does he run 25m in the first IP, or 8m in each IP, being unable to do anything else in IP2 and IP3 ? It seems that each of those solutions have their problems

I'm pretty sure the mage's movement is spread across the initiative passes. Moving without getting to act is weird, but it's less problematic than characters with fewer actions being able to keep away from faster characters for most of the turn

On another subject :
If in a round where there's only 1 IP (no one have extra IPs) and a player throws a grenade... :
  • does this create a new "empty" IP for this round where nothing happens except the grenade explodes ? In this case, how does this interact with movement from each character if they should've only moved half their speed per IP ?
OR
  • Does the grenade detonate on the second round, at the initiative the thrower had in the first round ? In this case, wouldn't that allow most of the targets to simply move out of the way before it explodes ?

The text on p145 in SR4A is unclear, but it does imply that yes, the grenade will go off on in the next turn.
Looking into other books: SR5 copies the text verbatim so it is no help... in fact that text is a slightly trimmed version of the SR3 text

Paehrin

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-29-19/1655:06> »
Thanks for those answers !
I agree that moving without being able to do anything is weird, especially if that lets you in the open for some time (but I guess it's a way to make street sams and such have better "reflexes" than mundane people).
I'll also look into the 3e book to see if there is something more detailled on grenades, or maybe even 2e if I can find it.

Have you guys any hint on the movement questions ? (Or any pointer as to where I could find answers ?)

EDIT : 3e notes that :
If the grenade is launched in the last Initiative Pass of a Combat Turn, the grenade will detonate at the end of that Combat Turn.
so I guess I'll go with that.
« Last Edit: <09-29-19/1700:15> by Paehrin »