NEWS

Tracking your Runners

• 26 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-18-11/2020:38> »
How about tracking them through the matrix? I can imagine Cookies, and the like or something like them are still around keeping all of your "searches" on the newest "Troogle" are being archived somewhere. Anything covered in the books tracking them through linking them to certain sites, or implanting tracking cookies. (heh, if you want a really bad one I guess a keylogger for accounts would suck for a shadowrunner)

>.> damn, i'm going to have to invent an dastardly hacker now.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Crash_00

« Reply #16 on: <08-18-11/2237:01> »
EMP effects are on page 57 of Arsenal (EMP grenade and HERF gun). I was referring to the HERF Gun earlier. Neither should ever ever ever affect bioware at all and cyberware is up to GM, but I'd say most, if not all of it, is going to be shielded or optical based for the most part and the book itself even states that most cyberware isn't affected.

I haven't played a hacker or read Unwired (I can search in PDFs but I cannot read them without my eyes turning to jelly), but I believe there is a track program. If its anything like SR3, there will also be rules for building you own software as well. Tracking can be tricky if you're just trying to find them out of the mass amount of data available, but I could definitely see hitting them with the virus equivalent of an RFID and/or Simloggers.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <08-18-11/2250:13> »
A Vehicle with Electromagnetic Shielding and a hacked Pilot program would work while said person in in said vehicle.

Get to a static zone, and boom, done.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #18 on: <08-18-11/2318:17> »
I've been somewhat hesitant to respond to this thread seeing as it seems most people who responded make reference to the array of technologies that I've yet to read about (Still haven't gotten my copy of SR4 yet).

Regardless, I thought I might share a few ways I go about tracking the PCs:

Depending on how the Runners act in their main haunts and towards the people they encounter, word gets spread around about them and their dealings.  Certainly, nothing major unless their Rep actually warrants it.  Yet, like many things having to do with communication, sometimes word does spread beyond their immediate areas of "influence" (especially after a "bad run" where -- say -- they carelessly got caught on film and never attempted to do anything to take care of the matter).

Having a Decker (or hacker, or Technomancer) tracking them down by nosing around with what's to do with their personal lives.  Figure it like Matrix-side detective work, performed by people much more apt and potentially dangerous than the kind of hackers we have in this day and age.

There's always, also, the astral approach -- Watcher Spirits come to mind (although I cannot yet know if they continue to exist in SR4), among others.

Material proof.  It's tragically not very rare that Runners will leave behind enough evidence of their passage to figure a team of forensics experts (magic and mundane) could likely manage to track down a group of Runners, provided they should see reason enough to do so.

Then there's all the miscellany of electronic gadgetry that exists for surveillance purposes, like tracer bugs, and, really, anything else that uses a broad-band signal that could plausibly be tapped into to keep tabs on their actions and whereabouts (although, from what I've been reading on the forums, it seems to me SR4 has possibly diverted from that approach in favor of a broader-reaching Wireless Matrix -- Could be wrong, simple conjecture on my part (and not that it's a bad thing, mind you)).

I suppose I typically favor an approach that feels more like detective work to me, partly because it's dynamic, and partly because it's something that already permeates most of the scenarios I come up with (wherein the Runners have to do at least some detective work somewhere between the gunfights, crazy car chases, and explosive cotton candy  :P).
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <08-18-11/2337:47> »
CSI:  Seattle?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #20 on: <08-19-11/0033:21> »
CSI:  Seattle?

Hahaha!

Maybe from an NPC standpoint, but I don't think I've been quite that clever in coming up with interesting situations and just how far leaving behind a bit of wayward snot could take a bunch of experts!

Back when we were gaming in our prime, the only "detective thing" that was playing on a regular basis (other than the Poirots et al.) was the X-Files -- which is, admittedly, not the best source of detective work imaginable.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <08-19-11/0037:45> »
No, but the truth...  *Puts on mirrorshades*  Is out there.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #22 on: <08-19-11/0104:39> »
Trust No One
Deny Everything
Everything Dies
Resist or Serve
Nothing Important Happened Today (My personal favorite one)

Man I miss that show. The only thing somewhat comparable to it today is Warehouse 13 and the seasons are just too short for me (I mean seriously, at 12 episodes I just get into the swing of the season and then I have to wait a year).

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #23 on: <08-19-11/0112:12> »
Trust No One
Deny Everything
Everything Dies
Resist or Serve
Nothing Important Happened Today (My personal favorite one)

Man I miss that show. The only thing somewhat comparable to it today is Warehouse 13 and the seasons are just too short for me (I mean seriously, at 12 episodes I just get into the swing of the season and then I have to wait a year).

It was a very entertaining show, no doubt about it.  I've not heard of Warehouse 13.  I'll look it up, though.

Oh, and, also?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <08-19-11/0116:08> »
The problem with Warehouse 13 is that...  *Puts on Mirrorshades*  It comes up one episode short.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #25 on: <08-19-11/0122:48> »

That ought to be your new signature.  DO EET

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <08-19-11/1455:56> »
Done.  Back to topic now, SVP.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11