NEWS

Wireless Datajack

• 37 Replies

NovaHot1

• Chummer
  • Kind when I can be. Bastard when I have to be.
« on: <06-09-15/2128:10> »
In 5th edition, it says your Datajack can provide a DNI but it talks about the meter of micro cable plugging into a universal access. Does it still have the option of establishing a wireless DNI? Unable to find it in the core rules for sure.
Desire is irrelevant. I am a machine.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-10-15/0659:02> »
In SR5 everything is wireless by default.

NovaHot1

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <06-10-15/0930:10> »
Well yeah I'm aware of that. I just couldn't find anything specific about wireless connection as a means of establishing DNI though, even if it is implied.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-10-15/1927:38> »
OK.. this is just taking splitting hairs to silly degrees.

YES!
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-11-15/0103:53> »

YES!

Are you absolutely sure?  :P

NovaHot1

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <06-11-15/0459:50> »

YES!

This still doesn't address the root of the question. 😏

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-11-15/0658:55> »

YES!

This still doesn't address the root of the question. 😏
What is the root of the question...?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-11-15/0711:59> »
Are you arguing that datajack lack wireless capability???

SR5 p. 163 Change linked device mode
A character may use a Free Action to activate, deactivate, or switch the mode on any device that he is linked to by direct neutral interface through either a wired or wireless link

SR5 p. 232 Direct Connections
Some devices don't have wireless capability. Usually this is because the person who bought the device couldn't afford one that was less than ten years old, or because they thought they'd be more secure without wireless. These devices are called throwback.

SR5 p. 452 Datajack
...Wireless Bonus: The datajack gives you Rating 1 noise reduction.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-11-15/0712:36> »
YES!!!!! Datajack gives you DNI with any wireless enabled devices. The cord allows you to plug into devices or another person Datajack to have a Wired DNI to that device. If you have your Datajack Wireless enabled & your commlink wireless on then you don't need trodes, image link, & AR gloves to operate in an AR or VR environment. If everything is slaved to your commlink then you are counted as having DNI to all devices on your PAN. That means you can shut everything down from wireless if you are attacked through the Matrix with a single action (generally recommended since it'll dump any Marks on your devices & prevent further attacks... yell at your decker to do his job.) Going to have to turn everything back on wireless with a Use Simple Device as a Simple Action for each one though unless you have a Direct Neural connection with Augmentations, meaning you can control your implants with your mind... separate thing from DNI but still relevant in that you can turn your Datajack from Wireless off to wireless on as a free action as opposed to having to flip a switch like on your smartgun.

Is that enough explanation or are you still unclear?
« Last Edit: <06-11-15/0716:30> by I_AM_ZHOUL!!! »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-11-15/0718:23> »
You don't need to slave a device to your 'link to control it with your brain (through your datajack). Slaving a device will just give the device a higher firewall rating when defending. It does not increase your control of the device (unless we talk about slaving to a RCC, but that is a special case).

NovaHot1

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <06-11-15/1140:01> »
You don't need to slave a device to your 'link to control it with your brain (through your datajack). Slaving a device will just give the device a higher firewall rating when defending. It does not increase your control of the device (unless we talk about slaving to a RCC, but that is a special case).

Yeah. I know how a PAN and slaving devices works and all that. The wording of the datajack for wireless connection just seemed a little too easy to me. Like it would be almost ridiculous to use anything other than a datajack to make a DNI since everything else is more expensive and/or more essence costly.  But if it really is that easy, it's really that easy.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-11-15/1239:06> »
...everything else is more expensive and/or more essence costly. 
SR5 p. 222 Direct Neural Interface (red box)
You get DNI by wearing trodes, or having an implanted datajack....

SR5 p. 439-440 Trodes
Available as a headband, net, or full-on cap, this electrode-and-ultrasound net gives you a direct neural interface. Useful if you’re too squeamish to get a hole drilled in your head for a datajack. Adding this to headgear takes two slots of Capacity.

Trodes cost: 70¥, Essence: -
Datajack cost: 1,000¥, Essence: 0.1

Shrug....

(and before you ask, yes Trodes have wireless capability!)
« Last Edit: <06-11-15/1241:39> by Xenon »

NovaHot1

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <06-11-15/1323:55> »
...everything else is more expensive and/or more essence costly. 
SR5 p. 222 Direct Neural Interface (red box)
You get DNI by wearing trodes, or having an implanted datajack....

SR5 p. 439-440 Trodes
Available as a headband, net, or full-on cap, this electrode-and-ultrasound net gives you a direct neural interface. Useful if you’re too squeamish to get a hole drilled in your head for a datajack. Adding this to headgear takes two slots of Capacity.

Trodes cost: 70¥, Essence: -
Datajack cost: 1,000¥, Essence: 0.1

Shrug....

(and before you ask, yes Trodes have wireless capability!)

Trodes are the first thing I suggested to the player. They want to go the implant route, so that's not an option.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <06-11-15/1433:37> »
You consider getting DNI by wearing a wig that cost 70¥ is OK, but getting DNI by implanting a datajack for 2k and 0.1 essence "almost ridiculous" easy...?

To be honest I still don't understand what your issue is ......

NovaHot1

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <06-11-15/1620:33> »
You consider getting DNI by wearing a wig that cost 70¥ is OK, but getting DNI by implanting a datajack for 2k and 0.1 essence "almost ridiculous" easy...?

To be honest I still don't understand what your issue is ......

Based on what the player of the decker wants, yes. They don't want to do trodes. I'm not sure what's confusing about the text specifying that a universal data cable exists but not specifying that wireless connection is a legitimate method of establishing DNI, wireless bonus not withstanding. Seems the fluff implies and the crunch doesn't verify. I'm just gonna rule in my home game that it does, as per the prevailing opinion here. :)