NEWS

Your standard gear

• 22 Replies

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« on: <05-15-14/2204:07> »
Are there any pieces of gear you find yourself always picking up?

For me the two which tend to pop up most often are the Ballistic Mask (which I converted from SR4 before R&G came out) and the Ultrasound sensor.

Even with a measly limit of 3 for the handheld unit, the chance of detecting motion sensors/other ultrasound sensors/people at up to 50m is too good to pass up.

What about you? Anything which pops up over and over?
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #1 on: <05-15-14/2211:25> »
Armored coat, Predator, and glasses with smartlink were my standards.

Now, I'm looking at potentially grabbing bike racing armor with the optional helmet, having the helmet with trodes and a smartlink, and connecting that via wire to a smartlinked weapon. Grab a motorcycle so they don't look out of place.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-14/2219:57> »
R6 Respirator.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-16-14/0123:09> »
R6 Respirator.
That, plus a stylish combination of suspenders and gun holsters that compliments my suit... and the six guns it is designed to carry such that people almost always only notice the one on each hip, but not the one under each arm or the two in the small of my back.

Adapting for SR5 rules, that would mean usually a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks on the hips for that "cowboy chic" look, a pair of Savalette Guardians in the shoulder holsters, and a pair of Ultimax 70s for the back.

...and very often I make sure to get a pair of smart glasses with an image link and flare compensation.

Taejix

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <05-16-14/0203:54> »
Aside from the good old "Commlink, Fake SIN, Lifestyle" combo?

I've found myself grabbing a Defiance EX Shocker fairly often. It's actually quite a hard hitting little gun. I usually go for the internal smartgun system and a hidden arm slide as well.

My standard loadout usually also features an armour jacket, a helmet, trodes, a micro-transceiver and a respirator. At least one gun with a silencer in a concealable quick-draw holster, typically a Savalotte Guardian or a Steyr TMP depending on the combat skill the character is using, and some goggles with a smartlink in them are also frequent purchases.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <05-16-14/0605:01> »
Armor Jacket, Shock Gloves, max chargen rating commlink, Thermographic Vision enhancement... And that's pretty much it. Weapons vary based on the character.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-16-14/0735:24> »
Just about all my characters end up with: Thermal Dampening, some non-lethal (preferably legal) combat option, Image Link (eqv.), Armor Jacket (at a minimum), and generally some sort of helmet stuffed with a bunch of sensors.  My main guy doesn't leave home without his locksmith kit.
« Last Edit: <05-16-14/2037:10> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-16-14/1319:07> »
I have created mostly awakened characters of various types. 

Subvocal mic, trodes and micro transceiver.

Contacts with smartlink, flare compensation, and magnification.

Glasses with enhance 3 and either low light or thermo, depending on race of character.  (first thing to go if money is tight).

Bug scanner and tag eraser.

Shock gloves (even with little to no unarmed, great for sneaking up unaware on guards).

I either go with transys avalon comm or multiple metalinks if money is the issue.

Armor jacket.  Most of my characters take automatics skill and a steyr with internal smartgun and level 3 barrel porting.  Concealable FA suppression!
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

LionofPerth

• Omae
  • That's Mind Taking Baby!
« Reply #8 on: <05-16-14/1346:44> »
Armoured jacket, you can never be too careful.

Light Fire 70, when I want to be quiet, or a the Government 2066, I do like anything styled after the 1911.

Shock gloves are nice as well. Defiance EX Shocker if I want to be a little more legal.

After that, enough fake SINs that I can leave a trail through five countries and/or corporations from people who don't exist.
When in doubt, C4.

Taejix

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-16-14/1753:20> »
I have created mostly awakened characters of various types. 

Subvocal mic, trodes and micro transceiver.

>SNIP<

Doesn't the micro transceiver include a subvocal mic anyway?

Just about all my characters end up with: Thermal Dampening, some non-lethal (preferably legal) combat option, Image Link (eqv.), Armor Jacket (at a minimum), and generally some sort of helmet stuffed with a bunch of sensors.

I'm not so hot on the Thermal Dampening, personally. Conceptually, yes, I would totally want that on my armour, but mechanically it's an item intended for stealth that only has any effect when you turn on the Wireless. Even then, it's just a dice bonus against a sense that a lot of people don't have. Either my dicepool is good enough to sneak past the troll anyway or it isn't and his non-troll buddy spots me instead.

Plus, my characters tend to be pretty strapped for cash. I'd rather put Nonconductivity and Chemical Protection on my armour for the same cost.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #10 on: <05-16-14/1756:22> »
I would be far more worried about the machines which have thermal sensors. Thermal dampening could help a lot against those. Especially if they're grenades or land mines.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

OneofSorrow

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <05-16-14/1905:27> »
I always find myself carrying a predator V, a ballistic mask with image link/HUD and thermographic, duct tape because it is a multipurpose adhesive that you can use to rig wireless explosives with ALA duct tape grenade to door or key place that needs to be blown up such as mainframes, computers, or just stuff and in a pinch it can be used to secure hostages.  Although with Stolen Soul I'm going to invest in nerve punch so my standard two rolls of duct tape might go down to just one.  Recently a encounter with shidem has made me appreciate flash lights and flares however.
« Last Edit: <05-16-14/1911:24> by OneofSorrow »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <05-16-14/1927:53> »
Lined Coat, Shipping Container Bolt Hole Lifestyle, and a bottle of Synthscotch.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

OneofSorrow

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <05-16-14/1946:19> »
Lined Coat, Shipping Container Bolt Hole Lifestyle, and a bottle of Synthscotch.

I see I'm not the only one who considers shipping containers good places to hide. 

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <05-16-14/2010:57> »
A comlink, earbuds, glasses and AR gloves. You can do trodes and a sim-module instead but I prefer to have nothing plugged into my brain unless that is the character's thing.. And of course, a fake SIN and a few fake licenses.

Armored jackets aren't subtle but they are great for the cost and if you don't need to walk around a high security zone it's a very good investment.  I'm an odd one out in that I prefer non-conductivity and chemical protection to thermal masking.  Drop a taser in the pocket, it's not a perfect weapon but it's legal, cheap and less-lethal.

Ultrasound sensors are great, especially along with thermal smoke grenades that will obstruct almost every other type of vision. Thermal smoke is cheap and it's great for when you deiced that you don't want to be in a situation anymore to let you run away. Buy a flashlight for a pocket, because you'd be surprised how often you will be in bad visibility even with the vision mods. Also fun and stupidly cheap? Pepper Punch grenades. While they won't do much to people that are really prepared but at their cost they don't have to do much, and it's perfectly legal to carry them.

A respirator is a good general idea, given how bad the air can be in the sprawl before some jerk starts tossing around pepper punch grenades.

That's just walking around stuff. For a run, try adding a miniwelder and a crowbar because if you can't hack it or pick it then you can always get in that way. A grapple gun gives you a lot of options to get somewhere without walking in the front door.

HE grenades and tape are good for setting up traps, distractions and ambushes. Arm them and leave them on something to blow later, or in a pinch you can make a poor man's breaching charge.

Tag erasers, medkits and stim-patches round out low cost, generally useful gear.