what is it? what does it do?

please and thanks!
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #1 on: <04-06-13/0728:32> »
War!, p.161 - "For purposes of armor allowance, reduce the highest armor rating of worn armor by the wearer's strength."

It's a system to makes your armor easier to wear, allowing you to wear more armor without being overencumbered.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #2 on: <05-06-13/1231:28> »
i hear different things about softweave. one story says it only applies to one piece of armor, i've also heard suggestions of using it on more than one piece of armor?

i'd like to hear different interpretations on this particular armor mod.

thanks.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-13/1234:28> »
i hear different things about softweave. one story says it only applies to one piece of armor, i've also heard suggestions of using it on more than one piece of armor?

i'd like to hear different interpretations on this particular armor mod.

thanks.

For the most part, those who interpret that it can only affect one piece do so because they dislike anything that helps to add more armor (those same people are the ones that complain about form-fit).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-13/1236:25> »
You DO realize not everything is about disliking minmaxers and actually based on developer opinion?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-06-13/1241:13> »
People also don't consider that the high Body meta-types (which are also the ones with high Strength) can barely reach their armor limit before encumbrance as it is, and those high Strength meta-types are one of the biggest "arguments" the anti-SoftWeave folks tend to use.

It's straight up meant to help those lower Body folks be more survivable.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-06-13/1303:04> »
"For purposes of armor allowance (see Armor and Encumbrance, p. 161, SR4A), reduce the highest armor rating of worn armor by the wearer’s Strength"

The way I see it, the phrase "highest armor rating of worn armor" can be interpreted in a few different ways.

• Option 1: The higher of the armor ratings (Ballistic vs. Impact) of each piece of armor worn (assuming it is softweave, of course). Each of these values is affected.
  • Option 2: The highest of all the armor ratings selected from all your worn softweave armor. This one highest value is reduced.
  • Option 3: The higher of your two armor values calculated from your worn softweave armor. Like Option 2, only reducing one armor value (likely the same result, but possibly slightly different result).

Option 1 results in your total armor value(s) being increased up to your Strength x number of pieces of armor

Option 2/3 resuls in one of the total armor values being up to your Strength Attribute higher than normal.

EDIT: Corrected Options 2 and 3 to correct for the possibility of reducing armor that is not softweave.
« Last Edit: <05-06-13/1349:26> by Kiirnodel »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-06-13/1310:05> »
And the "Option 1" would be the one that most fits an intent to help the lower Body (and thus lower Strength) meta-types. The other interpretations serve primarily to affect those that, as stated previously, don't really have that much encumbrance issue.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <05-06-13/1319:23> »
So you're justifying interpretation not on description, not on wording, but on the effect you want it to have? Or am I missing something here? And how do those Interpretations only support those who have huge Body?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-06-13/1325:46> »
Those that have high Body already are also the ones that have higher Strength, and a higher Strength would be required to have any appreciable affect on the encumbrance.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-06-13/1335:11> »
I posted those options so that I could properly separate my opinion from the interpretations. Do those options seem accurate? I tried to list them out in an unbiased way.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #11 on: <05-06-13/1339:02> »
"For purposes of armor allowance (see Armor and Encumbrance, p. 161, SR4A), reduce the highest armor rating of worn armor by the wearer’s Strength"

The way I see it, the phrase "highest armor rating of worn armor" can be interpreted in a few different ways.

• Option 1: The higher of the armor ratings (Ballistic vs. Impact) of each piece of armor worn (assuming it is softweave, of course). Each of these values is affected.
  • Option 2: The highest of all the armor ratings selected from all your worn armor. This one highest value is reduced.
  • Option 3: The higher of your two armor values calculated from your worn armor. Like Option 2, only reducing one armor value (likely the same result, but possibly slightly different result).

Option 1 results in your total armor value(s) being increased up to your Strength x number of pieces of armor

Option 2/3 resuls in one of the total armor values being up to your Strength Attribute higher than normal.

personally i agree with option 1. only ynt modified armor is affected.

i see a problem with option 2/3. armor unmodified by ynt would receive the benefit, i just don't agree with this. however, if following options 2/3, it would make sense only if all worn armor was ynt modified.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-06-13/1340:33> »
I posted those options so that I could properly separate my opinion from the interpretations. Do those options seem accurate? I tried to list them out in an unbiased way.

They do all seem to be the most likely interpretations. I still hold that the first does a better job of accomplishing an intent to make the lower Body (and hence lower Strength) meta-types more survivable, because, as I said, the others would require a higher Strength to have a meaningful impact on encumbrance.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-06-13/1347:49> »

• Option 2: The highest of all the armor ratings selected from all your worn armor. This one highest value is reduced.
  • Option 3: The higher of your two armor values calculated from your worn armor. Like Option 2, only reducing one armor value (likely the same result, but possibly slightly different result).

personally i agree with option 1. only ynt modified armor is affected.

i see a problem with option 2/3. armor unmodified by ynt would receive the benefit, i just don't agree with this. however, if following options 2/3, it would make sense only if all worn armor was ynt modified.

Oh, sorry.

It was my intent that the benefits of the Softweave only apply up to the armor values of armor that has the YNT Softweave. To correct this, insert the word "softweave" into the first sentence of each of the Options 2 and 3, such that both end with the phrase "your worn softweave armor".

EDIT: I went ahead and modified it in my original post...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <05-06-13/1349:43> »
Option one would work rather silly if you can Softweave SecureTech, FormFitting, Helmet, then either each set of a combined clothing set or just armor with free SecureTech, FF and Helmet. So I'm disagreeing with an interpretation that sounds like mass-munchkining. By the way, has anyone bothered asking the writers?

Also, stop discriminating against characters that take a decent Strength but not a massive Body.