NEWS

Spells and Blind Fire

• 6 Replies

忍

« on: <07-14-16/2028:18> »
Marry the mage is blind-folded and wants to show off to her friends by knocking over some stacked cups with her Clout spell. Does she suffer the Blind-Fire penalty on her spellcasting test?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-14-16/2042:51> »
Technically, Clout is a LOS spell, so by RAW can't cast the spell at all without LOS as per page 281 (Step 2: Choose the target) and page 282 (Spell Characteristics, Range).

However, as a GM I'd totally allow a blind-fire spell casting test, just like firing a gun.

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-14-16/2331:01> »
If she went for astral projection, wouldn't it negate the blind condition ?
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-14-16/2337:36> »
While astrally projecting the mage wouldn't be able to cast a spell affecting the physical world.

If astrally perceiving, she still wouldn't technically have a view of the stacked cups as they lack an aura. Targeting a person while astrally perceiving shouldn't incur any penalties, as they would have an aura and would be entirely visible (assuming they weren't standing behind a wall or something of course.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <07-14-16/2338:35> »
Blind fire with spells is a big grey area....

Technically, the only spells that could be blond fired are indirect spells. (Which Clout is).

Expect vision modifiers to your roll however...

And, this is covered on page 283 of the CRB under the 'Indirect' section.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-14-16/2345:41> »
While astrally projecting the mage wouldn't be able to cast a spell affecting the physical world.

I meant perception hum  :o
You're right for the aura, but she could still see the shapes of the cups I think.
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-15-16/0210:06> »

I meant perception hum  :o
You're right for the aura, but she could still see the shapes of the cups I think.
only with great difficulties
The first difficulty is that the Mage is Blinded.
YES, I know Astral Perception can be used by blind mages, but a normal seeing mage is used to perceiving with his eyes even with astral Perception (This is why a Magemask prevents LOS Spells)
And secondly even when he would see/perceive astrally the Cups are shadowy items, difficult to recognise from the astral.
I remember that the Astral Environment is blank and dark and only Living beings shed Light (with a little Backgroundlight from Gaja)
so if there was a Mouse in the Cups, they can easily be seen and also if they would be on a Table in the middle of the Room,
but the biggest Problem of the mage is the Blindfold that prevents LOS even with Astral Perception

with a living Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <07-15-16/0212:21> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8