NEWS

Should I buy now or wait?

• 11 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <07-06-14/2031:59> »
I'm interested in the setting and the game but due to my work schedule I'm not likely to be able to run a game any time soon. So I'm wondering should I do what I intended and buy the books (run and gun, street grimoire, stolen souls, etc) now or wait for a version 2 where they fix all the errors people are apparently finding?

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-06-14/2033:26> »
Honestly, if you aren't planning to play anytime soon, there's no harm in waiting. Maybe by the time your schedule opens up, a second printing will be out, of even additional core books you can pick up. And if not, there's not much difference between buying now and buying later. Books don't do you much good now if you can't play.

horngeek

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-06-14/2046:44> »
Depends on whether you intend to buy tree-killers or PDFs.  :P

If the latter, DriveThruRPG has a sale on right now, which has dropped the price of the 5e core rulebook down to a third of normal cost.  I have no idea how long you have until this ends, though. 

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-06-14/2254:19> »
Hmmm thanks for that advice and yes PDF's was what I had in mind I'll give it some thought. My schedule currently is 4 on, 4 off so it rotates through meaning I can't pick a specific day I'll be free.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-06-14/2341:28> »
So in other games when they release a corrected printing they update the PDF on drive through. I have received a few such notices over the years and able to download the corrected version from them at no new cost. So if your looking at the PDF any ways why not get me and jump in.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

horngeek

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-07-14/0008:14> »
Yeah, if you're going for PDFs, there's no good reason not to buy now. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <07-07-14/0016:28> »
A quick shout-out to all the people who love dead trees!  But I'm a PDF guy myself, for the correction updates, versatility, and lower cost.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-07-14/1253:40> »
DTRPG does make PDF buying quite painless, so I'd recommend picking up at least the main rulebook PDF from them.  Read through it and see what you think.  Beyond that, if you're not playing right away, hold off on buying anything else.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <07-07-14/1320:25> »
Get the 5E Rule Book on PDF since the price is so reduced.

Spend some time learning the basic rules.

Maybe by the time you actually play then you'll have the basics down & then the other PDFs will be corrected.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-07-14/1337:35> »
Other than Rigger 3 Revised, were any books ever reprinted to incorporate errata in any previous edition?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-07-14/1420:41> »
4th edition saw several PDF updates to incorporate errata.  Admittedly, the last PDF of Arsenal removed all the errata, but that's another problem.

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <07-07-14/1445:28> »
I like both formats.

I have the PDF's but I'm not picking up paper until it's errated.