NEWS

Chummer5 Support

• 632 Replies

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #450 on: <07-28-16/1035:27> »
If you make a shortcut to the file and change the shortcut's icon, that icon will be what's visible on the taskbar. Only other way you could do it would be to fork the Chummer code and manually inject your own icon.

I tried this.  Thanks to these instructions, the "windows explorer" icon (of the shortcut) is changed to the new icon.  But when launched, the important Taskbar icon remains that of a neon green troll. 
I am afraid forking the code and injecting my own icon is way above my talent.

Atlessa

• Newb
« Reply #451 on: <07-28-16/1631:14> »
I could be mistaken, but shouldn't I be able to raise my unarmed above 6 in SR5?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gn1ozcdu3tizj6/Screenshot%202016-07-28%2022.26.32.png?dl=0

The button is greyed out for some reason.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #452 on: <07-28-16/2311:10> »
Not sure what I can do for you then Tim, it works fine for me in Windows 10 and it's been a standard workaround since Vista.  You are launching it from the shortcut, right?

Atlessa, you should only be seeing a greyed-out button in career mode if you've hit the RatingMaximum for the skill (which is 12 +- any improvements that affect the maximum) or you don't have enough karma to increase the skill. Could you upload the character file somewhere or email it to me at chummer5isalive@gmail.com if that's not the case?

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #453 on: <07-29-16/0954:27> »
Not sure what I can do for you then Tim, it works fine for me in Windows 10 and it's been a standard workaround since Vista.  You are launching it from the shortcut, right?

No worries I guess. I am a unique case.  It is weird though, because I tried it on Windows 10 at home and at work.  In both cases I click on the chummer-shortcut (that I made) that has an "earth" icon.  But when Chummer launches, the icon on the task bar is the green troll.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #454 on: <07-29-16/1200:53> »
Tim, this'll work to override the icon: http://www.howtogeek.com/75983/stupid-geek-tricks-how-to-modify-the-icon-of-an-.exe-file

Sorry for missing you EiraHaexa! Your problem slipped off the page by the time I got around to checking back in here. I can't replicate the issue with any of my test characters in creation or career mode. Can you either upload your character file or show me the error code you get?

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #455 on: <07-29-16/1601:16> »
Tim, this'll work to override the icon: http://www.howtogeek.com/75983/stupid-geek-tricks-how-to-modify-the-icon-of-an-.exe-file

Sorry for missing you EiraHaexa! Your problem slipped off the page by the time I got around to checking back in here. I can't replicate the issue with any of my test characters in creation or career mode. Can you either upload your character file or show me the error code you get?

It doesn't give me an error code. It'll load the metamagic pop up window halfway, and then another window will pop up saying "Chummer 5 has stopped working.", and then close the program. Won't even let me send a crash report. I'm not tech savvy enough to have figured out how to take a screenshot on my PC yet (anyone know how to do that on a Windows 10 laptop?).

Otherwise it's a great program! I've just been keeping notes about which metamagics my characters have.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #456 on: <07-30-16/0753:38> »
I'm not tech savvy enough to have figured out how to take a screenshot on my PC yet (anyone know how to do that on a Windows 10 laptop?).

Hit the print screen button, then open paint (or a similar program), click on Edit, then select Paste from the drop-down menu. Then just save the file. I usually save to desktop for a pic that I am going to upload, just to make it easy to find.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #457 on: <08-03-16/1046:47> »
Hrm. Sounds like you're using a version of Chummer that doesn't have the crash-handler included with the binaries. If you're getting an error window like this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wincrashreport_windows_7.png

Then you should be able to expand the view by clicking View Problem Details. Copy that and upload it somewhere, i'll be able to home in on the problem.

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #458 on: <08-04-16/2033:28> »
I start every post the same: This is the best character generator I have ever seen.  OK moving on.
I have seen a couple of characters races generated by chummer that I cannot replicate.  I have seen Pixie and Vampire characters made, and I don't know how.  A little help please.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #459 on: <08-04-16/2344:24> »
Vampires and infected are terribly broken and I don't recommend using them. That said, you should be able to see them if you enable the Run Faster book and select them from the Metasapients dropdown in the creation form.

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #460 on: <08-05-16/0948:00> »
Vampires and infected are terribly broken and I don't recommend using them. That said, you should be able to see them if you enable the Run Faster book and select them from the Metasapients dropdown in the creation form.

Thanks for the "Metasapients dropdown" pointer.  I found the pixie.  I later found the vampire under "qualities."

boongeebee

• Newb
« Reply #461 on: <08-12-16/0951:01> »
Thank you for making and keeping up on this program. It has made my introduction to Shadowrun a lot easier.
I am having some trouble with the Seducer mentor spirit. When I select it, it adds the appropriate bonus for my adept(1 free level of improved ability), but I can't raise that power past the 1 free level.  Do I need to do something else?

Edit
I am using the latest Nightly (Nightly-v5.182.44) and getting the same problem on multiple computers. It happens every time I have started to make a new character, so I don't think it's the character file.
« Last Edit: <08-12-16/0957:51> by boongeebee »

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #462 on: <08-15-16/1056:50> »
That problem tends to be that you haven't taken any ranks in the skill. 1.5 times zero is still zero, so it won't let you put any further ranks in it. If that's not the case, please raise it as an issue and upload your character file for me to take a look at it.

Incidentally, new Chummer version is go! It's accessible via GitHub or via the Update menu in Tools. The changelog is a bit wordy to post here and converting it into list items properly is a pain in the butt, so you can find it here.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #463 on: <08-15-16/1612:53> »
That problem tends to be that you haven't taken any ranks in the skill. 1.5 times zero is still zero, so it won't let you put any further ranks in it. If that's not the case, please raise it as an issue and upload your character file for me to take a look at it.

Incidentally, new Chummer version is go! It's accessible via GitHub or via the Update menu in Tools. The changelog is a bit wordy to post here and converting it into list items properly is a pain in the butt, so you can find it here.

Crashed after updating. Now it won't work at all. My antivirus shut it down. Also got an error message saying I don't have the right permissions.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #464 on: <08-15-16/1622:03> »

Crashed after updating. Now it won't work at all. My antivirus shut it down. Also got an error message saying I don't have the right permissions.

Nevermind, fixed it. Had to uninstall it, wipe the residual files, and re-download it after adding the program to my antivirus' library of trusted publishers, but I fixed it.