NEWS

AI Icon Matrix Combat

• 1 Replies

Vxper

• Newb
« on: <11-15-10/1611:26> »
I am fairly new to SR4, and I have a question.  I am playing a AI created using the alternative concepts in runners companion.  In the book, it says that the AI exists in one node at any given time and only has a matrix condition monitor.  It also say that they can make connections and create icons in nodes just as any matrix user can.  When this comes to combat I get a little confused.

Under normal rules, icons attack each other in a and fill up each others matrix condition monitors until one is crashed.  When this happens the hacker controlling the icon is kicked off the matrix and receives dump shock.  Since this can't happen to the AI, would they just begin the realigning process in whatever node they are in when their icon in a different node gets crashed?

Thanks in advance for the response.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-15-10/1622:13> »
Quote from: Unwired, p. 166-163
     An AI’s Matrix Condition Monitor is equal to half its System rating plus 8 (supplemented by the Redundancy quality, p. 169, if applicable). If the damage track is filled, the AI doesn’t die—it is disrupted and will immediately start a process called “realigning,” in which the core structure of the AI starts reassembling its higher functions. The realignment process immediately takes over all available processing resources in the node, diverting cycles to the AIs reconstitution. During this process, the AI copies random data input from every source to which it can connect. Visually, this process is quite apparent—the “light” in the node dims and the “air” fills with code fragments that are sucked into a vortex where the AI used to be. While this process is active, every further attempt to attack the AI is assimilated into the realigning process. In fact, all activities in the node are hampered: apply a negative dice pool modifier equal to the AIs rating for the duration.
     During realignment, the gamemaster makes a Rating x 2 (3 Combat Turns) Extended Test. Each hit heals one box of damage (plus an additional box if the AI has the Improved Realignment quality, p. 169), until the AI is restored to full health.
     Damaged but not disrupted AIs may return to their home node to heal, making a Rating x 2 (1 day) Extended Test; each hits heals 1 box of damage. AIs with the Medic program may heal damage as per normal Medic rules.
According to this, they begin Realignment in the same node where there monitor was filled. Most likely, if you go down, you'll want to Realign in the current node until you get one box back, then book it back to your home node to continue healing.