NEWS

Vintage Guns

• 43 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #30 on: <02-05-11/1200:38> »
That makes me wonder: what are the quivilent calibers of modern firearms to their Sixth World successors? Would "heavy pistol" ammo be more of a .40, .45, or .375? Or would "light pistol" rounds be like a .38 or 9mm?

Leave the lid tight on that box!
Such questions are explicitly ignored in the RAW for a reason. . . (shudders in pained memory of d20 Modern ammo. . .)
If someone wanted a vintage gun, or I put one in for plot reasons, it would require its own, unique, ammo. I'll blame it on changes to smokeless powder in the intervening years and slight changes to caliber that are blessedly not addressed for the regular guns. Then I'd laugh at the look of despair as the players realize they have a gun for which they need to scrounge ammo.

Joins Medicineman. . . Keep that lid down!
so what exactilly the issue with that question? I'm just wondering. Also, is there a gun simaler to the desert eagle?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <02-05-11/1313:26> »
The issue with the question is that there are so many different types of ammunition in the world today, that, if you go the route that d20 modern did, you wind up with a ton of rules regarding different availabilities, keeping track of ammo for each of your guns separately, and a whole mess of other headaches that it's better to handwave away.

I'd also pictured the Savalette Guardian (with its sweet, beautiful chrome) as a Sixth World version of the Desert Eagle.
Savalette GuardianDesert Eagle

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <02-05-11/1325:49> »
What are the stats on the Savalette? (which I'm Salivating hahaha over)
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #33 on: <02-05-11/1339:04> »
Same as a Predator IV, but it has a Burst Fire mode, -1 Recoil Comp and holds 12 in the clip. The Availability is 7R and it costs 800¥ versus the Predator's 350¥. Of course, the Smartgun system is standard on both.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <02-05-11/1340:50> »
guess what palov is going to be using??  :o
HACK THE PLANET

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #35 on: <02-20-11/1734:43> »
Vintage Firearms is my NPC's "Money" Johnson's hat.  So far, he's shown his 165-year old (In 2070) Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe Double Rifle in .600 Nitro Express.  He also has bolt-action rifles from every major side from WWI and WWII, and uses a Holland & Holland-made SMLE No. 4 or a sniper-grade Kar 98K for his "Hunting Rifles" in Seattle with him.  All legally owned.  (Only the Royal Deluxe Double Rifle has been seen, however.).  His Grandfather swears by IMI-built weapons, and has every type of Uzi ever made, but typically relies on a Uzi-III in 9mm Caseless, but also packs a Centennial-edition Colt M1911A1 in .45ACCP made in 2011.

Money's good chummer, Murphy, has a vintage Ares Predator Mk. I, stock save for replacement parts, that he uses as his standard sidearm, swapping out the barrels whenever he needs to give it a new ballistic profile.  It's been in his family for three generations of Shadowrunners (He's an ork), and has probably seen more action than some entire Shadow teams.

Although I've never gotten around to mentioning them much, Nas' family has a bunch of vintage firearms as well, with his brother favoring a M-14 rifle set to fire semi-automatically only for big trouble, but mostly carries a classic Ruger Redhawk revolver in .44 Magnum with custom vat-grown walnut grips, and a Henry Big Boy Lever-Action Rifle in .44 Magnum with equally custom furniture.  His family owns a farm (One of the few still in non-corporate hands) and is right on the Texas/Aztlan Border.  Nas spent most of his time driving, while his brother spent his time shooting, so he's a crack shot.

Yes, I think entirely too much about the backstory and history of all my characters.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Morg

« Reply #36 on: <02-20-11/1749:51> »
Vintage Firearms is my NPC's "Money" Johnson's hat.  So far, he's shown his 165-year old (In 2070) Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe Double Rifle in .600 Nitro Express.  He also has bolt-action rifles from every major side from WWI and WWII, and uses a Holland & Holland-made SMLE No. 4 or a sniper-grade Kar 98K for his "Hunting Rifles" in Seattle with him.  All legally owned.  (Only the Royal Deluxe Double Rifle has been seen, however.).  His Grandfather swears by IMI-built weapons, and has every type of Uzi ever made, but typically relies on a Uzi-III in 9mm Caseless, but also packs a Centennial-edition Colt M1911A1 in .45ACCP made in 2011.

Money's good chummer, Murphy, has a vintage Ares Predator Mk. I, stock save for replacement parts, that he uses as his standard sidearm, swapping out the barrels whenever he needs to give it a new ballistic profile.  It's been in his family for three generations of Shadowrunners (He's an ork), and has probably seen more action than some entire Shadow teams.

Although I've never gotten around to mentioning them much, Nas' family has a bunch of vintage firearms as well, with his brother favoring a M-14 rifle set to fire semi-automatically only for big trouble, but mostly carries a classic Ruger Redhawk revolver in .44 Magnum with custom vat-grown walnut grips, and a Henry Big Boy Lever-Action Rifle in .44 Magnum with equally custom furniture.  His family owns a farm (One of the few still in non-corporate hands) and is right on the Texas/Aztlan Border.  Nas spent most of his time driving, while his brother spent his time shooting, so he's a crack shot.

Yes, I think entirely too much about the backstory and history of all my characters.

Funny thing is the PCs in my game normaly hand me three pages of background Info so don't cut yourself short. Remember most people will have about 2-3 things they obsess about weather they dislike it or love it and everyone has something they are ashamed as well as something they do that others think is odd.

-just a friendly thought

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #37 on: <02-20-11/1804:50> »
Funny thing is the PCs in my game normaly hand me three pages of background Info so don't cut yourself short. Remember most people will have about 2-3 things they obsess about weather they dislike it or love it and everyone has something they are ashamed as well as something they do that others think is odd.

-just a friendly thought
As a writer (Even if a hack of one, links to some of my work are in Fan Fiction if anyone cares), I know that a character is built up of his experiences, not just one event as far too many characters seem to be moved by.  His family, friends, enemies, all events of their life, and so on.  It characterizes how they do things and why.  And characters should be living, breathing beings that change and adapt by what happens, and not just in the number of scars they get, either.

And, just to keep this on-topic, the PC I made for a game that will hopefully happen, "The Accountant From Hell", would see vintage firearms only as an investment used as a way to launder money.  Buy up some old weapons in some drekhole of the world, get them repaired properly at some shadowshop that would probably have some happy gunsmiths for working on such pieces of art, and then turn around and sell them as restored items at auctions (Either shadow or legit if you can get away with it.).

Honestly, if a 'Runner can get his hands on a vintage Tommy Gun (Either M1921/1928 or M1/M1A1) and fix it up, you know some criminal boss would love to have it just be in his office.  Knowing that it'll work would just be gravy!
« Last Edit: <02-20-11/1808:23> by CanRay »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #38 on: <02-20-11/1910:04> »
You know, I wish I could come up with that much backstory.  My characters come from nowhere, and are probably going there, too.
Used to have a thing for burned out ex-revolutionaries.  Watched too many Samurai movies, I think.

Think the AK-97 counts as vintage gear by now?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <02-20-11/2110:25> »
Think the AK-97 counts as vintage gear by now?
Considering that the "97" in the name probably means 1997, I'd say "Yeah!!!"

They're still in production, so that tells you something!

Of course, in my games, the Colt Single Action Army Revolver Model of 1873 is still manufactured in small batches by Colt, so...  (It's a revolver available in 4P and 5P "Calibers", with an inability to use Speedloaders, if you want stats.  If you want to know how it looks, rent a Western.).

Actually, there'd be a big bit of publicity going for the 200th Anniversary Special Editions of these pistols coming out soon to select clientele!  Who wants to 'Run against Colt's Manufacturing LLC?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #40 on: <02-21-11/0539:52> »
I like me some revolvers with cased ammo, ah nostalgia!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <02-21-11/1143:06> »
I like me some revolvers with cased ammo, ah nostalgia!
Revolvers can use caseless ammo?

Edit:  Oh, right, Percussion Cap & Ball Revolvers!  Forgot about them.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #42 on: <02-21-11/1148:32> »
I still like the idea of Smith and Wesson's early 'Volcanic' pistols.  Awesome name, cool concept; caseless ammunition from 1850!  And the bullets were called Rocket Ball.  What's not to like?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <02-21-11/1157:44> »
I still like the idea of Smith and Wesson's early 'Volcanic' pistols.  Awesome name, cool concept; caseless ammunition from 1850!  And the bullets were called Rocket Ball.  What's not to like?
How pathetic the power of the round was?  The unreliability of the firearm?  It was a cool concept, but the Henry Rifles and Winchester Rifles that came after it took the technology where it needed to go.

Now, a "Mare's Leg", there's a cool weapon!  Impractical, but very effective!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11