NEWS

Oh why couldn't this be good...

• 8 Replies

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« on: <03-25-11/2239:00> »
Am watching Johnny Mnemonic over on Crackle, and I want to like it, I really do.

It has all the things I should like. (well it has Keanu too...  ::) )

• Headware. In fact the movie is dependent on the idea of cybernetics!
  • Molly Millions, aside from lack of hand razors, I don't think they did that bad with her. (she is severely damaged in the books.)
  • Cybernetic hit men, full (or close to full) body replacement. Yet that entire point is barely touched on!?!?!?
  • Ghosts in the machine.
  • It's written by the man himself, William Gibson. 8)
  • Monowire, freakin' monowire!?!?!

Starts off strong, but alas... just isn't any good...  :-\

~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <03-25-11/2241:56> »
William Gibson, but a lot of modifications were made without his permission or input.

And they really, really, REALLY need to get that Keanu out of my Cyberpunk!  And I'm a rabid bloody Canuck!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lycanyew

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-26-11/0201:27> »
I recently saw that too
I couldn't tell whether I liked it or not either
I didn't mind Keanu
It was a little annoyed with Ice T
That and why did Johnny overload his head?
Was he that pressed for cash?

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-26-11/0647:52> »

Been awhile since I saw it - but it was a "one last job" kinda deal to get enough cash to have his headware removed and real memory restored (childhood etc), his contact told him the price had gone up and then proceeded to push that one last job on him. Sure, in theory I guess he could have said no, and waited for other jobs, but it seemed like the more money he got, the higher the price of the operation was, so to beat that obstacle, he took the chance.
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <03-26-11/1043:06> »
Been awhile since I saw it - but it was a "one last job" kinda deal to get enough cash to have his headware removed and real memory restored (childhood etc), his contact told him the price had gone up and then proceeded to push that one last job on him. Sure, in theory I guess he could have said no, and waited for other jobs, but it seemed like the more money he got, the higher the price of the operation was, so to beat that obstacle, he took the chance.
This.  I remember the story well for some reason.  His Fixer (Brilliantly played by Nigel Bennett) was essentially stringing him along for more and more jobs as the operation didn't actually exist.

IIRC, the story that William Gibson wrote was in two parts, one of which was an aside from Molly Millions in Neuromancer, and the other was a short story on it's own.  Not sure if he wrote the screenplay or not, but I remember something about director issues and probably other Executive Meddling as the production companies wouldn't have known Cyberpunk if it bit them on the hoop with steel teeth.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #5 on: <03-26-11/1457:10> »
the story that William Gibson wrote was in two parts, one of which was an aside from Molly Millions in Neuromancer, and the other was a short story on it's own.  Not sure if he wrote the screenplay or not.

Yeah, Gibson wrote it, based on the short story of the same name (Burning Chrome the collection is called, awesome book.) Pretty sure she (Molly) is in all the Sprawl Trilogy: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive.
director issues and probably other Executive Meddling as the production companies wouldn't have known Cyberpunk if it bit them on the hoop with steel teeth.
Yeppers, I agree,  the meddling of the 'studio' is all over it... Them  dammed suits sucking the good outta life again!
 :P
~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <03-26-11/1605:59> »
If you want a good Cyberpunk movie, it's going to end up being a B-Grade Movie made by some Artsy-Fartsy type that somehow got the money.

Probably the same way they got the money in Mel Brook's "The Producers".   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-26-11/2133:05> »
Hardware is the closest to a real cyberpunk movie that I've seen.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <03-26-11/2329:19> »
Johnny 2.0 with Michael Ironside was pretty decent.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11