NEWS

Another Rainy Night now out--what's lurking on the streets of Denver?

• 68 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #15 on: <03-01-12/0908:59> »
The plot hook thing has been mentioned. I didn't really think, as I was writing it, that it was necessary, but with some of the comments I've gotten, I'm beginning to think I was mistaken. I've resolved to work some of those up for other enhanced fiction pieces I do.

The piece I'm working on now (tentatively titled "Father to Son," though that's likely to change) is related to ARN only in that some of the characters from each story know each other, but it will have plot hooks by popular demand. :) It's also probably going to be a little longer than ARN, which was kind of a test of the waters for me (and, really, for CGL too, I think). The follow-up for ARN will follow FTS; still working on some plot points for that one, though.

I can't make promises, but most of my stories are going to have dates on them. It helps me as a writer keep track of things.

The one place I would have disappointed you if I had done a Plot Hooks section would have been backgroun on "We." I know it would help GMs, but I think it would damage some of the mystery. As a writer, I really don't want you to know much more about "We" than Thomas does...which is just about squat. Their goals were pretty clearly spelled out by Teresa, and it's clearly bigger than just one person. Mr. Big (not his real name) has a plan and the wherewithal to do something about it. Beyond that, at this point, you could tie a lot of things to "We" and probably not be wrong. :)

I'm pleased you liked the story. I am, in fact, quite chuffed about the response it's been getting in general. Thank you very much for the kind words.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <03-01-12/1312:42> »
To me, it sounds like a HMHVV I version of the Ghoul Liberation League mentioned in Feral Cities. Wonder if it is Vampires only, as the GLL is ghouls only, or whether they include all Infected. Not that many HMHVV II could be organized to actually do anything.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <03-01-12/1449:49> »
Or it could be an extremist minority group.  With the power of Vampires.  We don't know at this point.

But it certainly changes the spin that the "Ghouls are people too" folks were trying to give.  Were they trying to lull people into a false sense of security, or is this a violent reaction to that organization?

I mean, hell, there's Infected out there that just want to be left alone, and are decent enough folk aside from eating requirements.  And some that are just absolute monsters.

You know, people!  Just like everyone else.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-01-12/1744:09> »
The plot hook thing has been mentioned. I didn't really think, as I was writing it, that it was necessary, but with some of the comments I've gotten, I'm beginning to think I was mistaken. I've resolved to work some of those up for other enhanced fiction pieces I do.

The one place I would have disappointed you if I had done a Plot Hooks section would have been backgroun on "We." I know it would help GMs, but I think it would damage some of the mystery. As a writer, I really don't want you to know much more about "We" than Thomas does...which is just about squat. Their goals were pretty clearly spelled out by Teresa, and it's clearly bigger than just one person. Mr. Big (not his real name) has a plan and the wherewithal to do something about it. Beyond that, at this point, you could tie a lot of things to "We" and probably not be wrong. :)

I totally agree that the mystery of it should be teased out and not have things explicitly written out in a Plot Hook/Background section. One possible example of including a GM Plot Hook/Background piece would be to just to outline what other groups or organizations know as much as Thomas does, who knows less (but are important players, like KE), and who think they know more, whether Teresa was a lone test for the plans of We or if there are rumors of other "agents" working in other parts of the world in tandem with Teresa, how to fit possible other We agents into the pre-master plan of the group so that GMs can keep consistent with what ever the mystery is (like if they always target heavily cybered or if that was just Teresa's MO but not "why" they do if they all do), etc. All of that can allow the writer to give out additional hooks without revealing any of the mystery behind We. Of course even a "further information and background will be explored in an upcoming Enhanced Fiction piece," works as well but always risks the a change in focus for the product line. I am still waiting for Buckaroo Banzai: Against the World Crime League after all. :) Anyway, that's my quick brainstorm on how to approach the Enhanced Fiction game information section is it's picked up upon.

A final note, just to be clear (and long winded), the whole "disappointed" aspect is just from not having more content and not in the content provided...I liked that quite a bit. :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-01-12/1749:07> »
There is at least one copycat still out there (mentioned in at least one JackPoint intro page recently). :) And you'll notice, there was nothing from KE regarding apprehension/neutralization.

Are the copycats connected? That's for you to decide. (And the official answer from the author is, "Maybe.")

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #20 on: <03-01-12/1802:56> »
Bought it and LOVED it! The fiction was excellent, and I have to agree with Fizzygoo about the artwork. While the art isn't what I normally equate with Shadowrun, it was edgy and new and different and I liked that. The only two things that I wish were different: 1.) I would have liked a small adventure that either coincided with what Thomas was doing IN the fiction, or dealt with a similar situation. 2.) The afore mentioned plot hooks section.

Please note that none of this is (or meant as) negative criticism. Great job overall!
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-01-12/1804:03> »
I have a request. If you've purchased Another Rainy Night, whether it be from BattleShop, DriveThru, or RPGNow, please do me a favor. Go back to the site you bought it from and give it a rating. You don't have to write a full-on review of the thing (though if you want to, you're welcome to do so). But give it a rating. Those numbers help other people find the product, or give them an idea of what to think of the product, and help them figure out whether or not they should buy the thing.

Thanks again for your support.
« Last Edit: <03-01-12/1814:12> by Patrick Goodman »

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-12/1831:56> »
I have a request. If you've purchased Another Rainy Night, whether it be from BattleShop, DriveThru, or RPGNow, please do me a favor. Go back to the site you bought it from and give it a rating. You don't have to write a full-on review of the thing (though if you want to, you're welcome to do so). But give it a rating. Those numbers help other people find the product, or give them an idea of what to think of the product, and help them figure out whether or not they should buy the thing.

Thanks again for your support.

Request granted. A small review and a rating. There you go sir. Two for the price of one!
« Last Edit: <03-01-12/1838:04> by shrike »
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #23 on: <03-01-12/2024:02> »
Bought it, downloading as I type. Hopefully will be read by the end of next week.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #24 on: <03-03-12/0635:03> »
Bought, rated, read, enjoyed, and have given it a place in my campaign's future events (we're currently mid-'72 with the next non-canon major event coming up in October with a series of BTL/psychotropic/spirit induced mass riots and a few demolished buildings in Downtown). Having a major mobilizing of Infected fits in perfectly with the 'Race to the Fall of 2074' that is my storyline.  8)
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-03-12/1015:43> »
Happy I'm able to help. It's looking like 2074 is going to be a very busy year....

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #26 on: <03-04-12/0133:14> »
I bought it to support you, I stayed for the Ford Americar  ;D
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-04-12/0156:10> »
Happy I'm able to help. It's looking like 2074 is going to be a very busy year....

8)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-04-12/1022:24> »
Added a review/rating over on the CGL web site - looking forward to you future efforts!

AJC

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #29 on: <03-04-12/2246:05> »

8)

Heh. It's remarks like these that keep me coming back here.  ;D
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.