NEWS

AR Hacker?

• 11 Replies

funkytim

• Omae
« on: <08-04-21/1154:57> »
What is the feasibility of using an RCC instead of a cyberjack for some hacking actions?  Unfortunately my group has had a harder time finding a decker/technomancer than Spinal Tap has finding a drummer.  I understand you would probably not want to get into any matrix combat like this but I think you still might be effective if you could remain undetected. 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <08-04-21/1211:41> »
The easiest solution may just be an NPC hacker that the team hires on.

This will allow you to control the flow of matrix actions for thematic reasons, while also not having to fiddle with rules and the unforseen consiquences that come from such fiddling...
« Last Edit: <08-04-21/1428:59> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-21/1319:10> »
I'd agree that if noone wants to play a hacker, then having hacking taken care of by an NPC is the best thing to do.  This could be an NPC/GMPC, you could be hired by a hacker to be his teammates for a job, or you could have Mr Johnson just group you up with another hacker they've already hired.

On the other hand, I do feel that if you have a rigger, then that character can be your primary matrix support character who defends the other character's gear from hackers.  Mind you a RCC is just fine for defensive matrix overwatch, they're not the greatest for offensive hacking.  Now lots of "hacking" can be done via other means... a security guard can be neutralized by lots of means other than bricking his gun and commlink... a maglock can be picked rather than hacked, and etc.  Without a cyberdeck or a Living Persona, you don't have Attack and Sleaze stats, and without those that means your Matrix Attack Rating is 0.  Virtually anything will be gaining edge when you try to do offensive/hostile things in the Matrix...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-04-21/1506:23> »
Ah yes, the attack and sleaze.  My intention was to use an RCC with a cyberdeck as opposed to a cyberjack with a cyberdeck.  Thanks Stainless.

Thanks Reaver.  That has what we've been doing so far.  The campaign is pretty new the runners don't have the resources or the karma to do anything else yet.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-04-21/1546:37> »
I'd say yes, for sure you could combo a cyberdeck and RCC.  You can combine cyberdecks and commlinks according to the example on pg 178, so why not any other device with a D/F.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-04-21/1548:54> »
The intent was that RCCs could not combine with cyberdecks. Unfortunately for your concept, that restriction is due to be introduced in the next errata wave.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-04-21/1843:44> »
You need to choose if you access the matrix via a Cyberdeck (for attack and sleaze ratings) or a RCC (for a lot of utility).

Having said that, no matter if you access the matrix via a Cyberdeck or RCC you can still also use a Cyberjack (in the case of RCC this will enable edge actions, give you extra initiative dice in VR and more data processing and firewall ratings to choose from).

Actions you cannot take while accessing the matrix via a RCC (instead of a Cyberdeck) are actions linked to Attack or Sleaze.
You also cannot take actions that require User or Admin access on networks that you don't have User or Admin access.

But actions such as Spoof Command is not linked to Attack nor Sleaze and does also not require User or Admin access.
....so as long as you have Cracking Skill you can Spoof Commands to open up maglocks or whatnot even if you are accessing the matrix via a RCC (this is intended). We might also get more options similar to this in the Matrix supplement.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-06-21/1130:39> »
Is this going to be a special carve-out for RCCs or will there be a more robust rule about device combinations coming?  M-TOCs, commlinks, etc.  And is it stated/going to be stated that RCCs specifically can take Spoof Command actions?  Ie Can I spoof command with a commlink and any device capable of connecting to the matrix?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-06-21/1153:13> »
Ie Can I spoof command with a commlink and any device capable of connecting to the matrix?
Yes. But you also need to have the Cracking Skill (which you cannot default to...)

Only actions that require a Cyberdeck are actions linked to Attack or Sleaze.

But since you need Attack or Sleaze to illegally gain access this also mean a lot of actions you need User or Admin access for are also restricted when it comes to enemy networks (unless you can gain access on enemy networks in some other way).

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-06-21/1159:30> »
The beauty of Spoof Command is you don't need access.  I mean, having 0s for Attack and Sleaze means you're almost assuredly giving the defender Edge when you try it with a RCC, but you certainly can attempt it.  And if you have good skill, there's no reason to expect failure (aside from the edge handicap)

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-06-21/1543:13> »
Technically though you do not need a cyberjack though to use a deck.  So if you had some cracking you might be able to spoof some maglocks and disarm a databomb here or there (assuming you can detect it too).  But with no cyberjack if you got discovered you would be pretty vulnerable with DP and Firewall of your commlink essentially.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-22-21/1622:16> »
The intent was that RCCs could not combine with cyberdecks. Unfortunately for your concept, that restriction is due to be introduced in the next errata wave.

Would this be the same for those new devices in Firing squad?