NEWS

Calling All Browncoats!

• 222 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <09-17-10/1531:47> »
Lol. That's not all thats wrong about that guy. Did you ever see I'm With Busy? That guy's a nutjob.

As for the end of Battlestar... We'll have to agree to disagree. I never watched the old show a whole lot. It's pretty unsophisticated. Bad dialogue, sexist, bad props, bad sets, bad hair. Lol. To me it was just hokey.
That's cuz it was the late 70's/early 80's, man! Everyone was like that back then. ;)

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-17-10/1535:51> »
Yeah I'm not real nostalgic for old TV, since I was born in '85. I tend to judge things based on quality, regardless of when they were made.
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/1538:44> by Joker »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-17-10/1539:15> »
Exactly.  That's the way it was on TV.  Actually, it was fairly liberal for the time, IMS.  There were female Viper pilots, eventually, which was progressive on TV aimed at male audiences.

The idea of it, that survivors a holocaust trek through the stars chasing a legend, was incredibly appealing.

And I doubt that you are immune to the whole nostalgia thing.  There are some extremely crappy shows from the '90s that just hit your button, I imagine.  We all have those things which tie us to our childhood and supposed "better days."
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-17-10/1542:42> »
Hmm...
Well I do have the Smurfs theme song permanently seared into my brain.
La la lalala la lala lala!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <09-17-10/1555:39> »
Heck, I adored Babylon 5 and I was in my 20s when it was on. There's a show that shows its age as bad as Star Trek:tOS. :P

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-17-10/1637:06> »
As for the end of Battlestar... We'll have to agree to disagree. I never watched the old show a whole lot. It's pretty unsophisticated. Bad dialogue, sexist, bad props, bad sets, bad hair. Lol. To me it was just hokey.

Would you by chance be under the age of 35 or so? For those of us who saw it first run, you have to remember we're seeing it through the eyes of being kids or teenagers. It was pretty progressive and high tech at the time.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-17-10/1642:58> »
I'm twenty five.

I'm not saying people who like it are wrong. I personally just don't like it. There's alot of popular things I don't like.  ;D

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <09-17-10/1713:23> »
I'm twenty five.

I'm not saying people who like it are wrong. I personally just don't like it. There's alot of popular things I don't like.  ;D

Joker- No it's not wrong and I can completely understand why it doesn't appeal to you. It's from a different era. I think Flash Gordon is cheesy, but it came from 20 years before my time. People that were kids when it was live probably loved it.

And I admit, it's darn hard to watch many of the old BSG now. Some of those special effects are just painful. :)
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-17-10/1728:32> »
And I admit, it's darn hard to watch many of the old BSG now. Some of those special effects are just painful.

After having watched the entire series within the last six months I have to disagree. Sure, the writing is still the weakest point of the show (closely followed by the amount of stock footage not made for the series), but the effects still look pretty good. They were movie quality for that day and IMO they still hold up.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <09-17-10/1730:54> »
Ahh... the memories of BSG. Funny thing that. Follow some of my logic here:

Donald P. Bellisario started out as a writer for Glen A. Larson and wrote a number of the episodes of BSG. One episode, he did NOT write, however, was Experiment in Terra, where Apollo is recruited by beings from the Ship of Lights and 'transported' to the Planet Terra to make sure peace negotiations with the Eastern Alliance go smoothly. I say 'transported', because although it IS Apollo, the beings have altered reality so that everyone that sees him thinks he's this other guy that's part of the peace negotiations. He also has a guide from the beings of light to help him with his mission, but only he can see and hear him.

10 years later Mr. Bellisario would create, produce and write Quantum Leap.

Okay, back to talking about the awesomeness of Firefly and how Mal can kick Kirk's, Picard's AND Sheridan's asses with one ear ripped off.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-18-10/0822:27> »
Cut off, if I remember correctly. :) lol.
I don't know who'd he'd win in a fight against, but if it was a battle of coolness he would win hands down.

Edit: A thought just occurred to me. Maybe this was obvious to other people. Shadowrun could very very easily be converted to a Firefly setting. Seriously minimal work. All you'd have to do is ban some qualities, ban metahumans, maybe restrict some gear. And create some spaceship stats. Cyberware and Bioware might be a no no too. Could be really fun to roleplay in that universe.
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/1046:54> by Joker »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <09-18-10/1116:13> »
Actually, I do use Firefly as a means of describing a low-end campaign (300-350 BP), since the players will most likely need to worry where their next meal is coming from.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #27 on: <09-19-10/1128:20> »
As to your challenge, I'll drop RDM's Battlestar Galactica and Deep Space Nine.
I liked the first season of BSG but found things a bit hard to swallow after that. Cinimatography was still wonderful but to many mains were closet skinjobs!

DS9... to me it was meh! I like Worf and his character came into his own on the series ("I cannot defete him, I can only kill him"). Otherwise I just couldn't really get into the series.

Firefly however kick my ass with the last few seconds of the first episode. I was thinking, cowboys? In space? right! THen Mal kicked open the cryo box to "expose" River! looks down and just drops a, "Huhn?" fade to black. Masterful!

The interplay of the characters though sometimes campy was reminicent of my own friends & I hanging out. This was a show that should still be on TV IMO.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-19-10/1147:27> »
That was one of the cool things about the series:  the characters.  They seemed to be real people stuck in those extraordinary times just trying to make it, and not great and noble Starfleet Officers (tm).  They were far more approachable.

BTW, did anyone see the one Halloween episode of Castle where Nathan Fillion puts on his old Malcolm Reynolds costume?  I couldn't stop grinning the entire time I watched him in it.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #29 on: <09-19-10/1155:34> »
I saw just that scene only and had a tear in my eye! the other thing about the series was the RPG! Margrette Weiss was autographing them at genCon a few years ago!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.