NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

Azrael

• Newb
« Reply #510 on: <01-05-13/1304:45> »
Some attacks are just more painful than others. Knowing how to take advantage of that is pretty much the basis of many unarmed strikes.

Personally, I think both can work as you've put forth. The shot to inhibit may be a little overpowered just due to the sheer amount of skills you can affect by hitting someone's agility, but i don't for see it ever causing a huge issue. Both shots should have a smaller shelf life than "until healed". Personally I'd say for a number of turns equal to attack's net hits to make it similar to how the tase rules work. I think it would be a little "fairer" for it to have a damage threshold of the target's Willpower though, similar to how some of the toxin effects work.

Another one to consider is the Call Shot to Hobble
Attacker receives a -4 penalty to the shot. If the target takes damage exceeding it's Willpower, it suffers a -25% movement penalty for a number of turns equal to the attack's net hits. This can be done multiple times, but may never incur more than a 75% movement penalty.

I disagree with All4 though, I know, it's a shocker. These don't add any complexity to the game. Call Shots are already a part of the game. All these do is add more choices for a Call Shot action. It's really not adding any more complexity than adding gear from a new sourcebook to the game would be. Choices are almost always a good thing.

@WellsIDidIt I like the Idea of hobble and I am going to rework it and my Idea tell me what you think,
 Attacker receives a -4 penalty to the shot

•   Hobble Defender may not run and receives a 6 meter penalty to base movement minimum movement rate is 0 . This penalty can be reduced by 1 for each hit on a (2) Willpower+Pain Tolerance test (Pain editor ignores penalty while it is on)
             • Wound Defender receives to all skills linked to an attribute of 6. The effected attribute is selected by the attacker and the penalty can be reduced by 1 for each hit on a (2) Willpower+Pain Tolerance test (Pain editor ignores penalty while it is on)

Recovering from theses attacks is a healing test (2) Body+Willpower with an interval of 10 minutes. , each hit over the threshold will reduce the penalty by 1

Any suggestions?

When the smoke cleared Hama Zhou scanned the carnage and quickly spotted the venerable troll's wound "Can you walk Smiling-Wolf-Dono?" Hama Zhou said humbly "No...but I can shoot" Smiling-Wolf grunted as he failed to stand "We can't carry the old trog out of here and we can't stay. what are we going to do Zhou?" Phase whined as he stepped out of hiding. "Do not speak to me so familiarly Phase-Jukeisha, For now we will do as we must." Zhou said harshly.

“For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!”
― Lord Byron, Selected Poems

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #511 on: <01-06-13/1442:38> »
Oh here's one I'll be implementing- With the kick maneuver you can choose to deal +1DV or have the reach bonus. 

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #512 on: <01-30-13/2252:18> »
House rules for using firearms in melee combat
-3 for tasers and pistols (including machine pistols)
-4 for submachine guns
-5 for assault and battle rifles, longarms, and heavy weapons
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #513 on: <02-03-13/1559:15> »
EWWW!!!! D20 Shadowrun thats Thats Blaspheme
Hey! I was trying to convince a bunch of gamers that refused to learn a new system to play SR.

If they are that closed minded on systems it probaly not a good idea. So much of the flavor of the game whould be lost. IE at high level a charter with the same gear takes way more hits to kill than he should.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #514 on: <02-12-13/0400:48> »
custom cyberlimbs maximum rating is users current attributes, NOT natural maximum. Reasoning: I find it odd the strength 3 dwarf can have a strength 8 cyberarm, while arnold braunsweig the strength 6 human, can only have a strength 6 arm. ( not counting normal upgrades) as a small bonus you are allowed to upgrade the arm for 1500 when you upgrade your attributes.

contact lenses doesnt stack with goggles and glasses. Reasoning: As it stands now all characters can cram just about everything into lenses/glasses. I want to make cybereyes more useful.

And all attributes must be minimum 2, before racial modifications. Reasoning: its too easy to create str 1 characters with shock gloves or logic/charisma/str1 samurais. Guess its a mix between the generalist approach from karma gen and the min-max from point buy.

Free skill point in each of these : computer, datasearch, unarmed or cybercombat or astral combat, perception or assenssing, pilot ground vehicle and a few more I cant remember.

Some skills got rolled together, like lockpick into hardware and diving into swimming, forgery into artisan.
Have some more, but they havent been implemented yet.
Was considering the matrix alternative:attribute+skill and program as maximum hits or the other : program+skill and attribute as maximum hits. Does anyone have a preference between these 2?

And also. Hi btw, this is my first post. :) I really like the forums and a lot of people here have given tonnes of inspiration.  ;)
Its a shame though that with 35 pages of house rules, 25 of those are discussions.
« Last Edit: <02-12-13/0747:12> by DigitalZombie »

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #515 on: <03-08-13/1010:19> »
Our new game (there's no section on this forum for APs, right? That's sad.) seems to have the following house-rules:

- dodge skill doesn't exist
- smartlink isn't eye or contact lense upgrade, smartgun just needs image link for HUD, and DNI (like datajack or integrated commlink) to control weapon
- stick-and shock ammo doesn't exist
- you can't heal drain damage with first aid or magic
- no encumbarence (I probably spelled that wrong) with only one piece of armor
- everyone has 10 stun and 10 physical
- enemies who are on 8 or 9 physical tend to jsut lie down and bleed, instead of fighting to the bitter end, unless they are really determined.
- charisma * 2 free BP for contacts on chargen

It's mostly to simplify game, or introduce more interesting possibilities (like you can put mage in SWAT armor, instead of everyone just having body*2 and being done with it)

We'll see how it goes.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #516 on: <03-08-13/1033:53> »
- no encumbarence (I probably spelled that wrong) with only one piece of armor
- charisma * 2 free BP for contacts on chargen
These are two of my faves from the book.
Is this only if their BOD is lower than 3 or is this for any BOD 5, 7 and up?
This kind of gimps mundanes against spirits doesn't it?

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #517 on: <03-08-13/1351:37> »
Is this only if their BOD is lower than 3 or is this for any BOD 5, 7 and up?
Everyone. It's like it was in older editions. I formerly did it when I was GM to simplify things. Now, after reading few topics here, I think the extra boxes would be useful, so I'll talk to the now GM about droping this. Chummer has us covered anyway.

This kind of gimps mundanes against spirits doesn't it?
Yeah. We talked about "anti-spiritual ammo" that doesn't count as "normal weapon" to replace it if things go bad. But we wil have two mages (out of 4 characters) and the others are heavy weapon/explosives expert and technomancer, so I don't think it's going to be issue with spirits. The idea was mostly about SnS making it too easy to be the good guy. (the we should do something about stunbolt, right? I know, but I'm not sure what).

Oh, and we have small house rules about guns. Like "carabines get assault rifle damage" or such.

Supine

• Newb
« Reply #518 on: <03-27-13/0233:58> »
I redo the guns in all my games. Right now, all I'm doing is adding RL guns and refluffing stuff like the AK-97 so it makes sense. It's not really major or important, but it's always bugged me that the AK-97 has nothing to do with 1997 and was probably not made by Kalashnikov, and that the SPAS-22 is just a bigger number and has nothing to do with the weapon's size. Later, I might write up a system for using different calibers in the weapons, but that's a little ambitious for now.

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #519 on: <03-31-13/1734:35> »
Supine: you could say that AK-97 is AK chambered in NATO and taking STANAG. The rules say you can switch around ammunition in same weapo category, right?

whistlingtony

• Newb
« Reply #520 on: <04-23-13/1546:58> »
Hi,

I ditched common use programs. I thought it was stupid to waste character build time buying a dozen programs that do basic functions, and all of them cost next to nothing anyway. They seemed to me to eat space on the character sheet and just be kind of a holdover from the old stupid Decking rules.

I like simplified rules.

They are all basic OS functionality, so I just use the basic OS stat. If the players want something juiced up, let them spend the money and time I suppose. It's a simple thing, but it gets rid of a headache.

Tony

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #521 on: <04-23-13/1603:50> »
Simple one to keep combat short : Speaking a word is a free action. A short sentence a simple action. As nearly every human being thinks words at the speed they'd be saying them, DNI-texting would take the same amount of time.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #522 on: <04-23-13/1712:53> »
This is not true.  It takes a fraction of a second to form the words in your mind.  An example?  The text you are reading right now.  Time how long it takes to read this post. Done?  Good.

Now time how long it takes to SPEAK these two underlined sentences.  Odds are, this will take longer than reading, silently, in your mind, the entire post.

Just an example.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #523 on: <04-23-13/1716:04> »
Something gives me the impression that it may be getting applied to losing actions for making Out of Character comments too...
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #524 on: <04-24-13/0911:08> »
The thing with a DNI is that, depending on how advanced it is and how it's implemented, can take a couple of steps out of the 'normal' process.
Reading: My eyes catch the light and bounce it on those stripes and cones (or whatever it's called in English) in the back of my eyes, with then send it to a part of my brain which makes an image out of it. That image is transfered to another part of my brain which turns that image into text, that text is then sent to a part of my brain which interprets that text, which then also has to take additional steps to translate it because it's not my native language.
A DNI might be able to skip part of that process and immediately send messages directly into the language-part of my brain, skipping past several of the interpretation steps which take place when reading this forum.

And, another thing: Speaking a 3 second line doesn't to take up 3 seconds of actions for the simple reason that, unless you've got some kind of attention disorder, it's fairly easy for a person to work with his hands, legs and rest of his body at  full speed while talking.
Ingame, this works by simply making talking a free action. That way, you don't do: 3 second action: Speak: "I am reloading, cover me!", 1 second: Eject magazine, 1 second: take new mag, 1 second: slam into gun, arm."
Instead, the three seconds of talking overlap the 3 seconds of action taking place.
(This is just an illustration for the overlap function of speaking as a free action, actual RAW actions are slightly different.)