NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #465 on: <07-26-12/0259:59> »
New idea for a simple house rule:  Shields do not count against armor encumberance. Instead, their 'encumberance' is represented by yourinability to use that hand for anything else... like using a second gun, or using a weapon that requires 2 hands, for example.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #466 on: <07-26-12/0453:38> »
New idea for a simple house rule:  Shields do not count against armor encumberance. Instead, their 'encumberance' is represented by yourinability to use that hand for anything else... like using a second gun, or using a weapon that requires 2 hands, for example.

And don't forget, you also get a -1 to all other actions, even if you're not over your Encumbrance limit, for using one. Between that and tying up a hand, I don't think it would be game-breaking to not have them count against your worn armor, since they're worn, not carried carried, not worn.

EDIT:GAH! Stupid grammar mistake!
« Last Edit: <07-26-12/2243:44> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #467 on: <07-26-12/1224:40> »

And don't forget, you also get a -1 to all other actions, even if you're not over your Encumbrance limit, for using one. Between that and tying up a hand, I don't think it would be game-breaking to not have them count against your worn armor, since they're worn, not carried.

Indeed; it seems a little silly to me that the average person (body 3) would be maxed out on encumberance just by holding a relatively light piece of plastic~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #468 on: <07-26-12/1948:52> »
So, after looking over the spirit powers I had posted earlier, I've got a refinement for you all to look over:

New Spirit Powers
both of these new powers require the Natural Weapon power.

Mystic Edge
Cost: 1
The spirit's Natural Weapon gain AP = -(Force/2 + 1)

Natural Reach
Cost: 1
When taken, the spirit chooses one of the following options:
1) The spirit's Natural Weapon gains a reach of 2 and +1DV
2) The spirit's Natural Weapon gains a reach of 1, and the the spirit it considered to be 'duel wielding' it (wielding a second copy of the weapon in it's 'off hand'), with all of the benefits and penalties associated with such.
option is meant to represent things like a Guardian spirit with two swords, or a Beast Spirit with claws on both 'arms'

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: <07-26-12/2012:13> by valavaern »
~~~~~
~~~~~

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #469 on: <07-31-12/1133:33> »
Quick new idea:
Laser slights give a +2 modifier to laser weapons.  This represents that there's no travel time, windage or bullet drop to account for; wherever that red dot is, that what's getting burned when you pull the trigger.
~~~~~
~~~~~

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #470 on: <08-01-12/2244:44> »
Better include the same for Red Dot Sights as well. Laser sights kind of suck: it's actually quite difficult to see the little dot it's projecting. Reflector sights and holographic sights, on the other hand (which have finally been statted in SR4 as "red dot sights" in Gun Heaven), are always easy for the user to see as long as they bring the sights up to their eyes.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #471 on: <08-02-12/0308:06> »
Better include the same for Red Dot Sights as well. Laser sights kind of suck: it's actually quite difficult to see the little dot it's projecting. Reflector sights and holographic sights, on the other hand (which have finally been statted in SR4 as "red dot sights" in Gun Heaven), are always easy for the user to see as long as they bring the sights up to their eyes.
Was just thinking about that when going through Gun Heaven, too... Not a bad idea.
~~~~~
~~~~~

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #472 on: <10-07-12/0027:45> »
I'm thinking of one house rule, dropping the dodge skill and using reaction aagain where applicable.

The rationale is that it's boring. It doesn't give you anything new to do, it's semi-mandatory (so it takes points from skills that actually do things) and if you don't take it, you character canot do the "omg I'm outta here action that "nakes sense for pretty much ny character. I know it will make high reaction charactets pretty much unhitable, but that's more of a featire. What do you think?

(also we are playing 320 points characters, so we don't have points to spare for boring skills)

Sorry for the typos and horrible spelling and misplaced quotes, I'm not ilitrrate, just using phone "keyboard".

nmap

• Newb
« Reply #473 on: <10-07-12/0032:59> »
Oh and one more: nonimplanted smartlink doen't give you instant mind control over the guns features. Becausr how would contact lens do that.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #474 on: <10-07-12/0729:00> »
Oh and one more: nonimplanted smartlink doen't give you instant mind control over the guns features. Becausr how would contact lens do that.
Presumably by way of DNI you have through trodes/datajack connection to your commlink, which has a wireless connection to your contact lens and also to your smartgun system - which is the only way the entire system works in the first place.

...and the implanted version still requires the wireless connection aspect since it no longer includes wiring run down your arm to an induction pad in your hand (the reason you found Smartlink on the bodyware chart in earlier editions, not the eyeware chart), so why create an arbitrary difference between the two?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #475 on: <10-07-12/1310:59> »
That's why you buy the skinlink upgrade.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #476 on: <10-07-12/1349:02> »
I'm thinking of one house rule, dropping the dodge skill and using reaction aagain where applicable.

The rationale is that it's boring. It doesn't give you anything new to do, it's semi-mandatory (so it takes points from skills that actually do things) and if you don't take it, you character canot do the "omg I'm outta here action that "nakes sense for pretty much ny character. I know it will make high reaction charactets pretty much unhitable, but that's more of a featire. What do you think?

(also we are playing 320 points characters, so we don't have points to spare for boring skills)

Sounds like street sams get a free upgrade while mundanes are screwed.
Then again, I also think 320 point characters aren't much fun to play (avg of 3 on stats... if I wanted to play an average guy, I'd play Call of Cthulhu or another game meant for that) and already pretty much forces everyone into cyberaugments to be somewhat above average anyway (mages and TM's are far too karma/BP costly).
-- Kind of odd thing to do in any case, lowering starting points but then giving freebies because they've got too few points to spend...

If you want a "beginners"-style game, limiting availability and starting nuyen is a far better way of doing so without making players play lousy characters. Lower BP's just mean average stat (average for a wageslave, below average for trained mercs/runners/corpsec) and means they'll only spend points on "critical" stuff instead of spending some on flavorful skills which makes the characters more realistic.

YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend either of those houserules.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #477 on: <10-11-12/2037:02> »
Presumably by way of DNI you have through trodes/datajack connection to your commlink, which has a wireless connection to your contact lens and also to your smartgun system - which is the only way the entire system works in the first place.

...and the implanted version still requires the wireless connection aspect since it no longer includes wiring run down your arm to an induction pad in your hand (the reason you found Smartlink on the bodyware chart in earlier editions, not the eyeware chart), so why create an arbitrary difference between the two?

There was a Whole, big thread here a few months ago arguing about just what and how smartlink works, particularly the contacts.  The general consensus by the end was that the smartlink/smartgun combo was a HORRIBLE lift&drop from SR3, and that smartguns should just work through imagelink and normal DNIs just like ever single other piece of gear in the game.  Also, under-barrel smartgun systems PROBABLY shouldn't be able to eject your clip and all that stuff, because... how?  O.o
~~~~~
~~~~~

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #478 on: <10-12-12/0656:05> »
The Smartlink upgrade should be for the whole weapon. The under/overbarrel part is just a guiding laser for the system. To be able to count ammo, display barrel temperature, measure distance, etc. the Smartlink has to be integrated into the gun on a higher scale, than just an accessory. Thus, you can easily add a mag or electric module to the clip loading mechanism to eject the clit 'at will'. Just as easy as adding temperature sensors, stress detectors, and ammo counters.
« Last Edit: <10-13-12/0525:48> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Nothrog

• Newb
« Reply #479 on: <10-12-12/0916:12> »
Extra contacts - if i were going to make a house rule to increase the number of contacts I would make sure it gave lesser contacts. Something like this : you gain cha = extra contacts each with a total rating = etiquette. Most toons would get a few contacts extra but the face would be able to round out his stable and this would give you alot of low level contacts. I think it would add to the game in a positive way. now you can blow some points on that big time contact you want and still have taken the time to get the number of the bartender where you drink all the time, the cop you knew before you left the force, the reporter ect all the people you have run into along the way ...