NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #450 on: <07-07-12/0053:15> »
Shame on Pax for being silly.  Not all GMs know all the rules in all of the existing books without reading them  :P
.... which is why we come here to discuss the rules, isn't it?

That's why "we" come here to discuss the rules, but not every GM knows about, or cares to us, BBSs for info like this, so lumping all those GMs together is an unfair shot at the family goodies.  :P
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

_Pax_

« Reply #451 on: <07-07-12/0344:38> »
... oversensitive, much?  Yeesh, I think I struck a nerve somewhere. ::)

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #452 on: <07-10-12/2124:42> »
I'm fond of contacts. They are one of the most valuable thing in the games I run and play in. We do a lot of 'legacy' games (building on previous campaigns, especially from earlier editions so older retired PC's and prominent NPCs return for cameos/as contacts.)

While giving the Cha*X (or whatever variation presented here) could encourage a high Cha character (Which I'm in favor of), what I tend to do is group contacts. Not the 'Group as a contact' but a contact that every PC has. Usually the Fixer, but not always.

I find a universal contact helps keep the party invested and also tends to help round out their little black books as people don't have to take the obligitory fixer/street doc/etc but can actually go 'you know, my Hacker can know a gang leader from where he grew up' or some other fluff, character building contact that isn't as 'needed for their profession.'

TheVanguard

• Newb
« Reply #453 on: <07-11-12/1546:26> »
The malware rules presented in Unwired are not really to my liking. I find them to be too clunky and rather bland. Instead, I've tried to come up with a system that makes the little buggers more colorful and actually have an impact on gameplay.

Alternative Malware rules

As the computer virus is modeled after the concept of the biological virus, malware basically uses the rules for Diseases (Augmentation pg. 129) except where noted otherwise. They infect nodes as a whole, influencing their behavior on a fundamental level.

Note: Disregard the Anti-Virus program option for these rules and replace the Purge program with Anti-Virus, which protects against infection and combats active viruses.

Malware Attributes

Vector
Malicious programs have different ways to infect other systems. The most common types encountered are Fire-and-Forget, Connection and Download.
Fire-and-Forget malware must be triggered directly in order to become active. The hacker has to load it as an active program and send it with a Complex Action against the target.
Connection type malware is proactive and automatically tries to infect any node that establishes a connection to the infected system.
Download malware hides itself in the code of other files and only becomes active when the host data is downloaded and executed on another system.

Speed
This is the amount of time that needs to pass between infection of a system and the first effect resistance test. Additionally, the virus becomes active again after the same time period has elapsed. All computer malware count as being incurable for the purpose of determining the maximum life span. The power will accumulate always until the virus is purged from the system.

Penetration
Some codes are so sophisticated that they can undermine the most common defenses employed against them. Reduce the effective rating of the Anti-Virus program by the Penetration rating.

Power
A malware's Power determines if and how powerful it can effect a system. See Effects below for details.

Nature
Malware either operates through a Slow Virus approach, Brute Force methods or acts as a Trojan.
A Slow Virus needs to succeed on an extended test with Power x2 (target's Firewall, 1 Minute) in order to infect a system. If successful, the victim gets a free Firewall + Anti-Virus (Malware's Power) test to notice the infection. The target can escape the danger by unsubscribing from the infected node before the test is successful. A Fire-and-Forget Slow Virus deletes itself after losing contact with the intended target.
Brute Force types make the same test, but their time interval is 1 Combat Round. The target gets a free Firewall + Anti-Virus (Malware's Power) test to notice the threat after each attempt.
Trojans automatically infect any system on which they are executed. Note that this Nature also applies to files downloaded from systems infected with Fire-and-Forget and Connection type malware.

Effect
This is what a malware will actually do to an infected systems. Some effects are merely annoying, others may be downright lethal. Systems resist the Power with Firewall + Anti-Virus. Re-calculate and apply the results after each Speed time interval.

Altered Appearance
The malware tries to override sculpetd imagery settings, changing any Icon run on the infected system according to its predefined programming as long as its Power is not reduced to 0. This can have pretty bizarre results if original iconography and desired effects differ strongly.

Breadcrumb Trail
A system infected with this kind of malware constantly sends out small data packages to a predefined address that contain information about the connections established with other nodes. The people on the receiving end get the accumulated Power as a bonus to all Trace actions against the infected system. The malware leaves a data trail though that may itself be traced at -2.

Crash Connection
Whenever this Malware becomes active, it tries to crash the system's connections to other nodes. One subscription is unsubscribed for every point of accumulated Power that exceeds the System rating. The malware's programmer may specify that only specific access IDs will be disconnected, or set a list of priorities for which connections will be terminated first.

Delete Program
This nasty virus tries to delete key files of programs currently running on the system. If its accumulated Power exceeds the System rating, one program becomes unresponsive and cannot be used anymore (does not add any dice to tests). This may be chosen at random or according to a predefined list of priorities.

Freeze
Causing random glitches and bandwidth problem, this code may slow infected systems down to a crawl. It reduces Matrix Initiative by its accumulated Power. If reduced to 0, the node is completely unresponsive.

Icon Damage
The malware tries to disrupt Matrix presence by injecting faulty code into Personas. All active Personas running on the infected system must resist (accumulated Power) DV Matrix damage with  System + Armor when the malware becomes active.

Information Distortion
Malware of this type has been created to alter information in a specific way. It may be used as a Spam program to insert advertising into data or to spread messages and disinformation. When executing a Data Search, it reduces the number of 1s needed for a glitch by its accumulated Power (minimum 1). If a glitch occurs, the result has been altered in a way determined by the malware's programming. Depending on the creator's intend, this may only apply to Data Searches for certain topics.

Leech
These viruses divert system resources to another node, increasing their capabilities at a cost to their host. If the accumulated Power exceeds the System rating, the infected node's Response is effectively reduced by 1. The receiving system treats its Response as being one point higher for the purpose of calculating the Processor Limit. This creates a data trail that may be traced to its destination.

Physical Damage
This dangerous virus creates a lethal biofeedback just like the Black Hammer program. The DV is equal to the accumulated Power. It is able to jam connections open like Black IC, using accumulated Power x2 for the test.

Psychotropic
Using subliminal Simsense biofeedback, this malware is able to recondition a person's mind to new forms of thought and behavior. Make an opposed test with the target's Willpower + Biofeedback Filter against a dice pool equal to the accumulated Power when the Malware becomes active. A user must be connected via hot or cold Sim in order to be affected. If the malware wins, the target gains a Negative Quality as determined by the programmer.

Reroute
Whenever the malware becomes active, it opens a connection to a specific Access ID as long as its Power isn't reduced to 0. This might be just an online shop looking for new customers, but could also be a trap node full of other viruses.

Resource Hog
Once active, this virus redirects system resources to itself, hampering its host's performance. When calculating the Processor Limit, increase the number of active programs by the accumulated Power.

Stun Damage
This effect is identical to Physical Damage, except that it causes stun damage instead.

Undermine
Malware of this type integrates itself into the host system's firewall, creating openings that may be exploited for easy access. If the accumulated Power exceeds the Firewall rating, an Exploit is created.

Viruses and Malware

Buzz
Vector: Connection
Speed: 1 day
Penetration: 0
Power: 4
Nature: Slow Virus
Effect: Psychotropic (BTL addiction), Reroute
The Choson Seolpa Ring's tool for customer acquisition has become a street legend in its own right, a boogeyman corp PR likes to bring up when they warn their employees about accessing external nodes. It does not only addict its victims to BTLs but also opens connections to Choson BTL distribution nodes where they can indulge their new cravings right away.

Drain 01
Vector: Fire-and-Forget
Penetration: -1
Power: 2
Nature: Brute Force
Effect: Leech
This open-source-project is popular with hacker gangs that like to get a little boost at the expense of people who are too dumb to get some protection for their commlinks. Over the years countless up-and-coming hacker kids have profited from the little edge it provides.

Erika Adserver-3
Vector: Download
Speed: 1 hour
Power: 3
Nature: Trojan
Effect: Information Distortion
Neonet sells this spam program still under the Erika label to other companies, who hide it in demo files and freebies. It is designed to insert ad messages in other downloads, preferably those from the competition. Cracked versions are very popular with Policlubs and e-activists, who use it to spread their own propaganda.

LSMD Fox Hunt
Vector: Download
Speed: 10 minutes
Penetration: -4
Nature: Trojan
Effect: Breadcrumb Trail
Lone Star's Matrix Division created the Fox Hunt to tag money transactions in ransom or extortion cases. It was designed in cooperation with the leading providers of anti-virus software and can subvert most commercially available protection with ease. Better spend your money while you still can.

MCT Active Competition
Effect: Resource Hog, Information Distortion
Mitsuhama's “aggressive advertising campaign strategy” gave birth to this very annoying piece of malware. It subverts the integrity of a system and causes it to slow down remarkably. If the user looks online for information about this problem, it feeds him false reports that claim that this would be a well-known bug of his OS, but the manufacturer shows no interest in patching it up. Unlike, you know, MCT who always think of their customers first yada yada...
Systems running a Mitsuhama-brand OS do not suffer from these problems for obvious reasons, but may still act as a carrier.

Neon Acid
Speed: Immediately
Penetration: -1
Effect: Alter Appearance, Icon Damage, Delete Program (random)
This simple yet effective combat virus is favored by Matrix thrill gangs for virtual drive-by attacks. It simulates the effects of real acid by marring the victim's icon, causing damage to it and deleting programs from his memory.

0A-SyS @ccess@ll@reas
Speed: 1 hour
Effect: Undermine
Triple-A was created by the neo-anarchistic hacker collective 0A-SyS as a means to further the free flow of information. They use it mostly to subvert the defenses of commercial libraries and private virtual schools, but its unpredictable spread pattern means that no one is really safe from it – and that's just the way the info-anarchists like it.

The Grey Plague
Speed: 1 minute
Effect: Altered Appearance, Delete Program (random), Icon Damage
No one knows for sure who created this virus, and after the appearance of The Black Plague (see below) it has become quite unlikely that anyone will make the claim. It spread like a wildfire some time ago and even forced the Grid Overwatch Division to step in. Persona icons in infected systems look like they would rot away and rapidly degrade until they crash. Luckily all up-to-date virus protection programs are well equipped to defend against it, but mutated versions crop up from time to time.

The Black Plague
Speed: 1 minute
Penetration: -2
Effect: Altered Appearance, Delete Program (random), Physical Damage
The origins of the Black Plague are just as mysterious as its grey predecessor. It suddenly appeared some time after GOD managed to contain the Grey Plague outbreak and quickly proved to be even more dangerous. Maybe the Grey Plague was just a prototype that was perfected later, or the intelligent code of the virus created a more advanced version as a reaction to GOD's attack. Technomancers have found hints of dissonant code in its structure, what further complicates the matter. The Black Plague generates a barrage of random noise signals of incredible intensity that may reach lethal levels, endangering every user in an infected system.

ZYX-Web
Speed: Immediately
Power: 5
Effect: Altered Appearance, Freeze, Resource Hog
The original ZYX-Web was designed by the infamous decker Widow in the last matrix age. It is not known who has created a remake for the wireless matrix, as Widow presumably died during the Crash 2.0. The new version seems to be just as good as the original, however. The malware traps the victim's persona in slim strands of moonlight, restricting his movement up to total helplessness.

(So how about creating a seperate sub-forum for house rules?)

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #454 on: <07-19-12/0905:13> »
Hello all, thought I'd come here and share a few odds and ends I've thought up while looking through the books~

New Bioware
Orthoskin Upgrade
      name                essence               cost
      Hobbit Feet ----------0.1----------------5,000
This new othoskin upgrade is very popular among meta-humans and sapient para-critters who, either through size or unusual anatomy (such as the many SURGE sufferers with 'Satyr Legs').  Hobbit feet encompass several small tweaks to the bottoms of the feet, the end result being the the character is treated as though they were wearing good shoes, even though they are barefoot.  The armor rating of the foot soles is increased by +2/+2, the nerve endings are altered to dull pain, and localized application of a dragonskin variant to reduce problems from walking on surfaces like hot pavement.

New Metagenetic Qualities
Positive Qualities
     Pads   (5 BP)
Characters with this quality have developed pads on their feet like those of a dog or wolf.  This quality mimics the effects of the Hobbit Feet orthoskin upgrade, and does not stack with it.

Negative Qualities
     Anthropomorphic Bestial Skull   (5BP)
The character's head has altered shape (possibly radically) to take on a more animal-like appearance, usually with a snout, and ears on top of their head.  This Quality incompatible with the Cephalopoidal Skull quality.
This quality may inflict social modifiers as outlined in the 'Freaks' sidebar of Runner's Companion.

New Magical Tradition
Helenistic Tradition
Materialization
COMBAT: Guardian
DETECTION: Beast
HEALTH: Water
ILLUSION: Man
MANIPULATION: Guidance
DRAIN: WILL + INT

Ancient cultures, especially those around the Mediterranean, did not exist in a vacuum; they traded, talked, and exchanged ideas (and, of course, forced their ideas on each other from time to time).  The Hellenistic tradition is a re-interpretation of this smattering of Greek, Turkish, Egyptian, and Near-Eastern ideas.

That's all I've got for now.  Hope at least one of these piques someone's interest~
« Last Edit: <01-31-13/2235:17> by valavaern »
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

TheVanguard

• Newb
« Reply #455 on: <07-19-12/1233:07> »
I really like your Helenistic tradition. Having Guardian as combat type fits the heroic daimon defenders of the Polis, while Beast for detection evokes the notion of augury by reading an animal's entrails or the flight of birds. Guidance for manipulation can reflect the gods' meddling in the affairs of mortals, and Man is the great deceiver. Water for health is in line with the theory of the humors. Yes, looks really solid to me.

However, I've just got a minor nitpick regarding your Anthropomorphic Skull. "Anthropomorphic" means "human-like". I think Bestiamorphic is what you're going for here.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #456 on: <07-19-12/1405:58> »
I really like your Helenistic tradition. Having Guardian as combat type fits the heroic daimon defenders of the Polis, while Beast for detection evokes the notion of augury by reading an animal's entrails or the flight of birds. Guidance for manipulation can reflect the gods' meddling in the affairs of mortals, and Man is the great deceiver. Water for health is in line with the theory of the humors. Yes, looks really solid to me.
Thanks.  The water as healing also invokes water as a 'life giver', whether the Nile, Tigris, Euphrates, or even the Mediterranean itself, water WAS life in the ancient world.  Also, using a beast spirit to track or 'hunt' something just seemed like a such an obvious natural fit.

However, I've just got a minor nitpick regarding your Anthropomorphic Skull. "Anthropomorphic" means "human-like". I think Bestiamorphic is what you're going for here.
Yeah, went in the wrong direction with the adjective there.  I'll go up and give it an edit~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #457 on: <07-19-12/1549:16> »
Figures I'd forget one of my best ideas....
New Focus
Mystic Focus
Availability: (4 x Force)R
Cost: 15,000 x Force
This focus is only of use to Mystic Adepts.  It allows them to use use up to 'share' up to their (Force) magic attribute reserved for their adept powers on their magician skills.
For example, a Mystic Adept with Magic 5 might choose to 'spend' 3 points on adept powers, and reserve the other 2 for Spellcasting and the like.  With a Force 3 Mystic Focus, they can instead roll all 5 Dice with their magician skills.  If they had a Force 4 Mystic Focus, they would still only roll 5 Dice (since there are only 3 dice of Adept Magic to 'share').

working on an Initiate power as well, but that's gonna take some writting for the full rules.  :/
~~~~~
~~~~~

_Pax_

« Reply #458 on: <07-19-12/1755:06> »
Don't like it.  Basically strips away the entire point of being a Mystic Adept (having to choose which side of the coin to send the next bit of Magic to).

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #459 on: <07-19-12/1839:06> »
Don't like it.  Basically strips away the entire point of being a Mystic Adept (having to choose which side of the coin to send the next bit of Magic to).

I concure
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #460 on: <07-19-12/1910:59> »

I concure
No it doesn't.  All it is is a specialized, limited(and therefor a bit cheaper) version of a Power Focus.
~~~~~
~~~~~

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #461 on: <07-20-12/0434:54> »
Reminds me of this.....

Fetishes (Expendable foci)
Treat exactly the same as the relevant focus, but the cost of the item is one fifth the cost of a focus, the item costs no Karma to bond, and the item is destroyed after one use. So, a Power Fetish Rated 3 would add 3 dice to any one Magic test much like a focus would, at the cost of 15000 nuyen and the bonding ritual, but no Karma. One Fetish item exists for every kind of focus item already present in the rules, but the Availability is higher (don't remember by how much) due to the limited nature of these items.

Specific Spell Focus
Treat as a Spellcasting Focus, but for one specific spell chosen at the time of creation. I forgot the costs, folks, sorry. Might look it up later, but I think the Karma was =Force

Specific Spirit Focus
As a Summoning and Binding Focus, but for one specific spiritual entity chosen at the time of creation. That entity must be bound or otherwise on hand for the entire creation of the focus. Anyone coming into possession of this focus at a later time may call that spirit, despite their limits from their tradition. Spirits detest this kind of focus, hating the control it grants magicians over them. Cost was about the same as for the above focus.
« Last Edit: <07-22-12/0104:15> by Mason »

_Pax_

« Reply #462 on: <07-20-12/1343:37> »
I think I'd throw in a freebie for the Specific Spell Focus, and say it also counts as a Fetish for that spell, if one is needed.  :)

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #463 on: <07-22-12/0207:47> »
New Spirit Powers

Mythical Edge
Required power: Natural Weapon
Cost: 1
Two options I'd like feedback on.
Option one

The spirit's Natural Weapon gains -(Spirit's Force/2 + 2) AP
Option two:
The spirit's Natural Weapon is now resisted with 1/2 Impact Armor, rounded down.

Astral Focus
Cost: 1
The spirit gains the ability to bind the astral constructs of Foci to itself, enabling it to take them wherever it may go.  This process costs twice the normal amount of Karma for binding a focus, and consumes the material form of the focus in the process.  All other limits for binding focuses apply. 
From then on, anyone assensing the spirit would see the foci's aura just as they would an awakened with a bound focus.  When the Focus is active, and manifested or possessing spirit will show some representation of the foci's use.  A manifesting spirit will manifest some appropriate addition to itself, usually looking like the original physical form of the focus, but not always (especially for spirits with the Mutable Form power).  A possessing spirit will usually show some sort of mystic tattoo or other mark on it's host while the focus is active.

Optionally, a spirit with the Natural Weapon power may choose to, when binding a weapon focus, have either the Natural Attack add half the focus' force rating to it's dice pool, or add half the Natural Weapon's DV to attacks with the Weapon Focus.

::Edited; accidentally labeled Astral Focus as Metamagic.  :x ::
« Last Edit: <07-22-12/0319:41> by valavaern »
~~~~~
~~~~~

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #464 on: <07-22-12/0231:07> »
I'd go with the spirit gains Force/2 AP or Force-2 AP. Something like that.