NEWS

[SR5] Uneducated Hillbilly Hacker

• 10 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <12-03-13/0113:26> »
Doesn't know he's a Technomancer. Convinced he's a decker and the old Fairlight Excalibur (2050 model) he carries around works. (It's got Direct Neural Interface!) The sprites he compiles are his Hacking Programs.

Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks )

and Yes I paid double Karma for Computer and Software Skills.
« Last Edit: <12-03-13/0119:21> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-13/0708:01> »
sorry mate, am i reading this right? you've got a logic of 1?
thats pretty much everything you do as a decker/TM and also forms the base of your matrix initiative. you have a software skill of 1?!? are you mad? its like having a rigger with REA 1 so can barely drive. or a street sam with AGI 1 so he can barely shoot.
i'd strongly recommend going back to the drawing board with this one mate, you're not off to a good start.
pull at least 2 points out of body, 1 from strength and boost them into your mental stats. it'll make you actually competent at your role in the matrix. forget being a psuedo-street sam for the time being and get your base role sorted out. add the guns + chainsaws later.
pull two-three ranks out of longarms and a rank or two from the exotic weapon (how are you going to walk about town with that on your back anyway? you don't have a vehicle either as far as i can see. dump those ranks into computer and software skills.
these are supposed to be fairly innate powers for a TM, he wouldnt need a university education to use them.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-13/0803:54> »
Thanks for your response.

Sure anyone can make a Decker using Logic! But where is the fun in that. I know he'll never be as good as regular Decker or Technomancer, but there are some advantages.

The only "Decking" he would be doing is with Sprites. (Gets 10 dice to Compile and Register, Charisma 5 allows him to have up to 5 registered.) It's like having 5 little competent Deckers at his disposal. Without the risk of Dumpshock, Black Ice, GOD...

Took software for the 2 complex forms he has. (gives 7 dice pool with Resonance 6), and computer for any perception tests he might have to make.

Your probably right on the Vehicle. I wanted to get Toyota Gopher for him. Maybe I'll try to work it in there. Take few points off skills. I would have liked to have got him used car if there were rules for that in 5th ed.

I would think a chainsaw would be less conspicuous than a Combat Axe and probably less threatening...well until turned on...and probably works nice with Intimidation

The way I've always read it, was Technomancer power could happen to anyone. this is from Unwired (There was something else written about Technomancers that I'll try to find..)

Volunteer 1 is a 45-year-old male Caucasian human. His
psychological profile incorporates a strong faith in God and the
conviction that his actions are guided by a higher force, which is
why he wanted to volunteer for the program. During his examination,
he explained that he acquired his powers via the will of God,
whom he claims to have plans for him. In his theistic view, the
Matrix is a manifestation of God in the world—in other words,
God is the source of his abilities. Volunteer 1 claims to use those
abilities in a way that is determined by God’s plan. Neuronal imaging
of Volunteer 1 while using his technomancer abilities detected
activities in cerebral areas normally associated with social interactions.
When observed online, he appears to exchange information
with computer systems in a very unconventional way. Unlike an
ordinary user, he does not actively “use” programs, but rather
“asks” or “persuades” computer systems or sprites.  is behavioral
pattern seems to be innate to his personality and his personal view
of his abilities and their origin. Whether educational or age-related
factors also play a role here remains to be seen.

« Last Edit: <12-03-13/0943:52> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-03-13/0953:07> »
There are things that this "Decker" can do that most Deckers can't.

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would dare not contemplate." -TerryPratchett

Need a file in archive that only the corporate scientist that you just kidnapped has.. who's going to have a better chance of getting that? Your average wimp Decker. Or the crazy giant hillbilly with a chainsaw that would be stupid enough to do try that...

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-13/1011:59> »
sorry mate, but sprites light up like a christmas tree under the GOD system. they create OS and therefore are affected by convergence. compiling + registering them is also very drain intensive
Sr5 pg254: Compiling sprites causes Fading of 2 DV per hit (not
net hit) it gets in its defense test,
and even then, they're not super amazing at their tasks unless you really go to town on the level that you compile them at, even with your edge, high res and willpower, extensive use of high level sprites is gonna end in tears. run some dice mate, test it out for yourself. bear in mind that sprites' stats start with their level, you're gonna need at least a rating 5 sprite for it to be worth doing. at that point, you're facing quite a bit of drain if it rolls well on its defense test, and again for registering it. each time you take fading damage, you start stacking up your own wound modifiers. use your TM powers enough and the enemy wont even need to shoot you!

i dont wanna shoot down what looks like a lovingly crafted character, but super optimised technomancers still are sub-par in their primary roles compared to the equivalent decker builds. a suboptimal TM like this is almost worthless to a team as you just can't do what it is that you need to do.
at the moment you're significantly better with guns than in the 'trix, yet you'll still be heavily outclassed in that role by a moderately built combat adept or street sam.
sorry mate, i really think you need to re-think this whole concept
« Last Edit: <12-03-13/1017:03> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Rainslicker

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-03-13/1013:50> »
Just a small notion, this is not a hacker. This is a person that have it as a hobby and just started out, its not that he wont be as good as the rest of the hackers, he wont be a hacker because 2 dices wont get you anywhere... so Its a fun concept but I would say that you have taken it too far and that this person will not be able to do anything in the matrix.
Best Regards
Rainslicker

"Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same entropy to create bugs instead?"
Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.
ASCII stupid questions and get EBCDIC answers.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-13/1141:19> »
I admit this is a Hacker in the loosest of terms. He'll never be breaking into Ares R&D. But need a bunch of low level sprites to follow multiple targets...Need a Hacker that can talk or intimidate his way out of trouble...With 12 dice for composure, he won't be crying in corner in fetal position if the feel hits the fan.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #7 on: <12-03-13/1156:54> »
I admit this is a Hacker in the loosest of terms. He'll never be breaking into Ares R&D. But need a bunch of low level sprites to follow multiple targets...Need a Hacker that can talk or intimidate his way out of trouble...With 12 dice for composure, he won't be crying in corner in fetal position if the feel hits the fan.
now you're starting to make a bit more sense. unfortunately, though a hacker who can talk his way in+out is great, this guy isn't a hacker.
its pointless getting in somewhere and then not being able to do the mission.
at the moment you're playing a sub-optimal face who can shoot a shotgun who owns a broken deck and can summon a couple of matrix buddies (which will hurt him if he uses them too much).
« Last Edit: <12-03-13/1222:05> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-03-13/1632:49> »
Ok I tried with Automatic Dice Roller to see what kind of luck I would have with Compiling and Registering Sprites
For 5 level 3 sprites..
4 Hours   3 services (Hour for Healing)
4 Hours   6 services (Hour for Healing)
3 hours    5 services
3 hours   6 services
4 hours   5 services (Hour for Healing)

Using Edge, I Compiled/Registered Rating 6 sprite with 3 services (Only took 3 Fade damage)
Using Edge, I Compiled/Registered Rating 7 sprite (3 services) with No damage (I admit that probably wouldn't happen often)
Using Edge, I Compiled Rating 8 Sprite with 3 services(took 4 physical damage) which would have taken 1 day to heal (5 hits), Would have failed if I tried to Register it, but only would have taken 3 damage.
Using Edge, I Compiled Rating 9 Sprite with 4 services (took 2 physical damage), Trying to register would have killed character unless I spent Edge.
Tried Compiling Rating 10 sprite using edge failed, but only took 4 damage
Failed second time probably would have died from 10 hits from Sprite.

So Compiling level 8 or 9 sprites with this character is definitely possible (Which would be better than any starting Hacker)

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <12-03-13/2336:55> »
Maybe I'm a little nitpick here.

But American is not language :P

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #10 on: <12-04-13/0017:11> »
Bushw4cker, your character reminds me of one of the characters that one of my players tried to use.  And your response to the initial criticism is pretty much the same: "it's not what you would call a <insert runner job here>, but where's the fun in that?"  In my campaign, I'd nix this character right off the bat.  You've got a great concept - I love the idea of a technomancer who thinks he's a hacker.  I had a friend do that in our last 4th edition campaign.  It's a great idea - but it's also got to actually work.  Having a Logic of 1, paying double Karma...  none of that makes sense to me.

If I was your storyteller, I'd make you pay normal single Karma for your skills because they're technomancer variants even if your character doesn't know that they are technomancer variants.  This means that any attempt to use your skills would result in onlookers saying, "hey dude, that's not normal."  And of course, your character's response would be, "sure it's normal - didn't you see how I made that code feller there fly around and unlock things?  You do the same thing too."  I'd even consider giving you Karma for roleplaying the delusion well.

If your character thinks he's a hacker, but can't hack, that delusion will break quickly.  And that's what will happen when he tries to use his Logic.  The trick to making a believable delusion is to make something that still works.  Delusional people can function just fine in society.  It's the ones that can't function with their delusions that we end up institutionalizing.  And simply put, this guy wouldn't be an effective hacker, even if the sprites are running around doing everything for him.  One visit from a technomancer spider will destroy your character's illusions right away.  Not to mention any other hacker that simply goes toe-to-toe with you and ignores your sprites.  Or, heaven forbid that your sprites are in a different node when you get a visit from someone.  Not to mention how harsh GOD can get with unregistered technomancers.

I just think that the idea is interesting but the execution could be better.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.