NEWS

Bye, Bye Blackbird IC

• 187 Replies

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <04-22-17/1846:00> »
Blessed Allah, how can it be so cold!

It being the latter half of January, Isha still comes pretty early.  It makes no difference in this infernal place.  True, it had snowed in Berlin.  I remember making a snowman with mother and having snowball fights with father when I was five.  It was fun.  It was also only about negative five degrees with calm winds...and I had the latest in heat reflective garments which kept me toasty while being no more bulky than a light jacket and slacks.  Any colder and we had stayed indoors; being whisked from garage to garage in warm vehicles when we ventured out.  Other than Berlin, I'd generally lived in subtropical or tropical climes.

I truly never realized how good I had it.

My breath turns to mist as a let out a long sigh.  I know I shouldn't be complaining.  Allah be praised, I have a lot to be grateful for.  I'm alive.  No small feat when the Seattle Yakuza want my head, whether or not it comes attached to my body.  I'd managed to deceive my way over half way across this accursed continent to a place where people who dress like me, practice their faith like me, are commonplace.  Detroit, Michigan seems like a little Constantinople somehow buried in the neck of a peninsula deep inside North America.  Instead of the Golden Horn, one has Lake St Claire...currently frozen over from the bitter cold winter now routine after the death of the now historical Gulf Stream.  Barely ice free because of water movement is the St Claire River, something of a mini Bosphorus linking Lake Huron to Lake Erie.  I can...almost...imagine what it might look like in four months once spring thaws the ice and normal movement is possible again.

Maybe I might even live long enough to see it.

For now, my mind has to stay on survival.  I've made it to Michigan...a place not quite beyond the reach of the Yak but certainly a great deal more a stretch for them than Seattle.  There are also people I can blend with...my people.  People who hold true to the Pillars.  People who gather for prayers five times each day.  A sea of hijabis...who would notice one more?

How do you best hide a needle?  Not in a haystack but in a mountain of needles.

One of the pillars of Islam is charity.  Once I had demonstrated that I was a true believer, knowledgeable about my faith in a way only one brought up to it could be, I had been given cautious support by the faithful of a modest Turkish-tradition Sunni mosque.  A place and people which brought back fond memories of my time with my grandparents on the shores of the Sea of Marmara.  An accountant for a import-export business that preferred to keep several books, one each for the appropriate auditor, had been fascinated by my advanced comfort with numbers.  I hadn't let on my expertise on the 'trix much less my magic abilities, but I saw no risk in seeming educated and that opened doors to a subsistence employment - enough to pay for a closet-sized apartment and enough food to keep me from starving.

It seems best to lay low.  To not use the remains of the largess I accumulated working for Arc back in Seattle.  To just be a quiet, devout young girl of faith who spends long days working for a pittance, practicing my faith, and returning to my closet to repeat the process each day.

Only on Friday, my single day off from work, do I venture out to a little coffee shop owned by a fellow member of my mosque to enjoy my one indulgence.  A cup of sweetened Turkish coffee to savor for a good long time and...real, unfiltered or obstructed 'trix access.  Using my MiAz hidden carefully in the folds of my abaya so as not to attract attention, I carefully wander the matrix to look for signs that I am still being sought out, to keep abreast of my secret identities, and...most importantly...to look for signs that Yelena-sensei and Arc-sensei are okay.

I wonder how many Fridays will go by before I learn anything...
« Last Edit: <04-22-17/2359:45> by Shaman_Yuri »

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <04-22-17/1855:06> »
The man raises an eyebrow in a sardonic from, "They are no doubt, impressive. Perhaps another time." He drops Marco off at the patisierre.
« Last Edit: <04-23-17/2205:34> by ismilealot »
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-23-17/2224:23> »
@ Subaru She does not attract much attention in this city. Her employer has many of the faithful and one more single girl goes almost unnoticed. Almost. She'd been working nearly two weeks when her superior had called her into the office. As she was single he had his third wife with him to avoid any appearance of impropriety. "You are earnest in your desire to work. And, the mistakes you make are few. Those few mistakes are not mistakes in the numbers, neither are they in the use of the data. Rather they are mistakes that are the result of your lack of knowledge in accounting. And a lack of knowledge is curable by education. I know an education seems like an extra duty and expense when you are young. But, courses in accounting would take less than a year and gain you much more nuyen and the possibility for advancement." He watches her for her reaction. And his wife watches him even more closely. "Is this something you would have the desire to pursue? Or, are you betrothed and only looking forward to your wedding day?" 
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-24-17/0941:53> »
Marco purchases plenty of deserts and then heads back to the safehouse. Frustrated and feeling dirty, "the person spends 20k on a whim, and I missed played my hand. Why did I want the job anyhow? His pretty eyes? Pockets are full at the moment from Nickolai's creds."

At the safe house, he said to the team " I hope you like sweets, sorry for not ordering from the Dom Polsky... something there smelled fishy for me. I got paranoid."

Shaman_Yuri

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-24-17/1015:28> »
Is this entire world dedicated to making me an indentured servant?!?

I keep my feelings close, however, and let on none of my frustration at yet again feeling the shackles moving to ring my wrists and neck.  I've already made one enemy by shaking them off.  No sense making yet another...and maybe his intentions really are good.  Fortunately, he may have given me a convenient out...

"As it happens, sir, the one who holds my heart has ventured out to apply Allah's just vengeance on one who has no business breathing Allah's air.  I have but to remain pious and pure in Allah's eyes until my love returns in successful splendor.  I can only commit myself to your service until that happens.  I'm happy to do whatever you would wish to make me a better employee, but I best not place myself in debt when only my love has rights to my future."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <04-24-17/1056:29> »
Yelena had settled back at the counter in the armory that she is using to clean her weapons and examining the things that Arc had found, including the new gel ammo.  Some of it would fit the rifle and her Predator V, so she takes it and some of the extra clips and loads some up to place in her case.  She is still doing that and trying to think of how she can help Jed when Marco returns.  She moves back to the main room and listens to his comments. "Are we taking priest or not?"
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <04-24-17/1319:25> »
Marco takes a seat and expands his hands and legs, "of course but with gel rounds...  we know where he'll be we will position you to get a clean shot and once he is out we will use magic to quickly eliminate him from the scene. I got drugs powerful enough to contain the mage, and with bounded spirits and the new power focus I may be powerful enough to enter his mind."

Qwikfix

« Reply #37 on: <04-24-17/1813:01> »
The short mechanic Arc was sitting nearby, listening intently to what Marco was planning to do on the morrow.  She felt herself inwardly shivering at the sheer power of being able to probe one''s mind.  To think he could do that to most peeps without being detected...yeesh  Closing her eyes, she mentally composed herself, covering her mouth as she felt her stomach turn, holding in.

"in that cashe, we should make our get out right there.  Jed, still got that cred stick I gave ya?  Think your boy be needing a call now..."

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <04-25-17/0131:20> »
Marco added "Are you feeling alright Arc?

We will load him on the van, if I am successful we will leave him in some hotel room. He will remember nothing of the last few hours before his interrogation. Specifically, if all go well he would not know that his mind was invaded. Instead, I'll leave him with a sexually embarrassing picture. It will ease his suspicion of mind invasion and he'll think that someone is trying to gain some leverage on him because he fronts as a Catholic priest. It is better he suspects some more mundane foul play than me going AWOL, it will be safer for everyone I ever loved.  For some strange reason, my old religion has an absurd relationship with sexuality. We should use it to our advantage.  I have the right drugs to contain him... I hope  "

He thinks "I hope it goes better than with that homicidal genius mage."
[spoiler]
By the way, Marco cannot read minds discreetly this is why he plans to use Leas to wipe the recent memories of his victim.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <04-25-17/0133:22> by gilga »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <04-25-17/0952:42> »
Yelena gives Blackbird an odd look. "What van?  Nicolai and Hellfire took van and it crashed.  Blackbird steal another?"

Qwikfix

« Reply #40 on: <04-25-17/1014:40> »
Arc could feel her cheeks color at the question, her cybereyes averting the mage's gaze as she straightened up, taking a breath.  "Nothing to worry about, heh.  Just still a bit queasy but it finna pass.  Yelena''s right though.  We don't got no transhportation save for what be taking us back to Seattle.
Whatever you gon' do to this fragger gonna needa be done right there and then we kip."

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <04-25-17/1155:30> »
Marco laughed at Yelena's question "Well, isn't it obvious? We are buying a Gopher... There is a used car agency with an online catalog, payment method is cash on delivery. We need to get to the airport and we cannot just hitch hike there. You know that you have to get to the border to actually cross it. They are not very far and with a few grim faces from Arc and my charm we will get it cheaply. We can either ditch it or sell it once we are at the border. Are you guys ready to go? They work long hours but they go home to sleep at about 23:00. Never understood how people could work so much."

To Arc he said "Well I hope you feel better, there are plenty of incredible pastries. Have one, they are good for the soul."
He tossed one for Arc and then one for someone besides her, just to see Velenkoradi materializes in time to catch it. Have one too Yelena, may be the last chance for good food in a while. Where is Jed by the way?

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <04-25-17/1858:51> »
"Right here." Jed replies as he comes out of the bathroom. "and I can call my contact. I may be able to get him to meet us close to here and wait for us at the airport to "recover our bags" or whatever story sounds reasonable. Who knows, I might even be able to arrange for some backup firepower if things go seriously south. These are contacts of Mike's. So . . . they're probably not overly delicate about such things." He grabs a pastry from Marco and stuffs it in his mouth. And then his eyebrows raise and his eyes close as he savors the delicate, buttery confection. Velenkorai is appreciative as well. The pastry swirls through the air to land daintily on a table and is daintily pecked. My services will not last forever. My time on this plane will always be limited. But, your offerings are a gift I savor. Marco hears.

Qwikfix

« Reply #43 on: <04-25-17/2223:22> »
Arc gave a bit of a sigh, her hand darting up to snatch the pastry deftly as she calmed herself.  "Thanksh, chummer.  Hope you right, thish food here ain't agreeing with me."  Taking a bite, she closed her eyes as the flavor danced on her tongue, a few pensive chews ensuing as Jed and Marco traded their ideas.

Clearing her throat, the mechanic chimed in.  "I actually like that.  And I think the cred I be havin' here should cover any extra costs for 'baggage assistance', heh.  That way we don't leave much of a print through a car purchashe.  Aight."  She took another bite, taking a seat in a chair and flicking the credstick over.  "Let'sh make the call and shet a time."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <04-25-17/2357:30> »
Yelena takes one of the pastries, but finds it only minimally more enjoyable that some of the rest of the food here.  "Hey, If taking priest, why not take plane?  PI man contact maybe fly us away then we sell plane to them?"