NEWS

Monofilament Whip/Garrote

• 40 Replies

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« on: <05-01-11/0230:16> »
Why does the Monofilament garrote 16F have a Availability rating so much higher than the whip 12F?  Is it for Johnny Mnemonic fans?
And can the whip be used as a garrote?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Somtaaw0

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-01-11/0536:54> »
A garrote has an anchor/grip/handhold on each end like a wire cheese cutter whereas a whip might sometimes be two-handed, but only on one end like a fishing pole. If you tried to grip the other end of the whip like a garrote it would cut your fingers off at the same time you tried to gack your target. As to the difference in availability, while the whip can cause serious damage even death, the garrote is designed with only one purpose in mind, unless you like having a insanely dangerous cheese cutter.
I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a significant plotline suddenly cried out in terror... and was suddenly silenced.--Torg @ Sluggy.com

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <05-01-11/0630:06> »
... not like you could use a monofilament whip to train tigers in a circus.
(Does a whip that thin even make the snapping sound?)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #3 on: <05-01-11/0800:41> »
The monofilament whip has a handle on one end and a weight on the other.  That's not unlike a garrote except that there's 2 meters of cord between.

Assuming that the monofilament extends from the handle outward on some kind of reel, I wouldn't have any problem with someone using it as a garrote if they had the skill to do so.  I really don't see the difference between that and regular usage, except that you'd get fewer dice on your attack for lack of reach bonuses.

Short answer.  Sure.  If that's the way you want to describe it.
If you're changing the mechanics, then that's your personal business.

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-11/0817:14> »
Trying to use a mf whip without a weighted tip would be like waving a party streamer in calm weather. With no mass to the wire, any cutting has to come by drawing the line through with both ends. That said, you probably don't want to make that weight large enough for someone to hold on to.

I'd be very happy to see a monofilament mesh guillotine, though. Perfect for making square cheese blocks.

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-01-11/0838:45> »
Good point, I hear "weight" and thought of something I could hold onto, but that's not necessarily true.
On the other hand, if you use your prosthetic thumb as a counterweight, that could work, though it still means someone else could grab it.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-01-11/1233:10> »
I'm working on a whip with the gecko grip mod; seems like you could slap the weight with your off hand and draw to make a gecko gripped garrote.

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <05-01-11/1632:21> »
 :o
Give it a pilot upgrade and flying propulsion system on the weight.

Heck, use a larger weight and include an electro-shock anti-theft system. This could be fun.

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #8 on: <05-01-11/1740:55> »
:o
Give it a pilot upgrade and flying propulsion system on the weight.

Heck, use a larger weight and include an electro-shock anti-theft system. This could be fun.

I want a monofilament kusari-gama, now.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-01-11/1926:04> »
Hah, me too.  And with a flying upgrade, so it's remote controlled.  Althought a myomeric kusarigama would probably be more practical.
Actually...could use that for a smart chainlink sword, I guess; alternating sections of myomeric rope and monofilament wire.  Kinda like a really lethal version of whatever Ivy uses in Soul Calibur.

Actually, now I'm trying to figure out how to make it really concealable...Spy Gear rules from Arsenal?  I'm guessing a finger compartment would show up on a scanner.

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #10 on: <05-01-11/1933:26> »
Hah, me too.  And with a flying upgrade, so it's remote controlled.  Althought a myomeric kusarigama would probably be more practical.
Actually...could use that for a smart chainlink sword, I guess; alternating sections of myomeric rope and monofilament wire.  Kinda like a really lethal version of whatever Ivy uses in Soul Calibur.

Actually, now I'm trying to figure out how to make it really concealable...Spy Gear rules from Arsenal?  I'm guessing a finger compartment would show up on a scanner.

All my non-Awakened characters have finger-monofilament-garrotes. Damn if I love Johnny.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #11 on: <05-01-11/2003:17> »
How about a mf whip attached to the end of a cyber finger, then make the finger spin really fast.
Hand-Held Monofilament Weed Whacker! Now That would mess people up.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #12 on: <05-02-11/0048:22> »
Monofilament NetGun.
Fire, watch people drop into little bloody pieces.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <05-02-11/0049:44> »
Monofilament NetGun.
Fire, watch people drop into little bloody pieces.
Did The Predator have one in Predator 2?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #14 on: <05-02-11/0052:29> »
Don't think so, why? O.o
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush