NEWS

Drugs

• 24 Replies

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-03-16/1740:48> »
I found Kamikaze + Narco to be pretty much all I needed. 

True. Kamikaze in pharma grade quality + narco + nephritic screen is pretty much all you need to be an effective street monster.
It's so good, that you can easily build a burnout adept around this concept with Adept Spell: Detox

Well, I personally wouldn't use Nephritic Screen just because it reduces the amount of time the drug stays in your system.  Granted it would only be for [Rating] minutes in this case so it's only a very minor disadvantage. 

Instead I just took a mild addiction to Kamikaze for which Narco gives a +2 DP bonus to addiction tests if you have an addiction to the substance.  Plus I did this with a Sum to 10 troll so I am rolling 16 dice for my addiction tests.  Character also has a 6 edge so managing the addiction isn't a big issue. 

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-03-16/1742:42> »
I found Kamikaze + Narco to be pretty much all I needed. 

True. Kamikaze in pharma grade quality + narco + nephritic screen is pretty much all you need to be an effective street monster.
It's so good, that you can easily build a burnout adept around this concept with Adept Spell: Detox

Though I have been seeing an interpretation of Detox that you have to cast it at the Force of a drug's Rating (for parity with Toxin base DV). For Kamikaze, this means it requires a Force 9 Detox. So you need at least Magic 5 to cast it. The drain isn't awful even if it's physical, but it's hard to get a lot of 'ware and keep a Magic 5. 

I think I like this interpretation, even though it invalidates a lot of my character concepts. I guess it makes more sense than just casting Detox at Force 1 all the time to get a single hit, as this is kind of cheap. It does make Detox a more appreciated spell for more typical team magicians to have on hand though. 

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-04-16/0250:18> »
Addiction rating is not the same as the power of a toxin. This interpretation would make trolls virtually immune to alcohol or Long Haul.
Besides: Adepts can't overcast. They are limited to their magic rating for the force of their spells.

Nephritic screen might shorten Kamikaze's duration, but that's usually insignificant for the duration of the typical fight. Also if you have detox you'll probably play it safe and purge as soon as the action is over.

The benefits of Nephritic screen are just huge overall
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-04-16/0504:29> »
Besides: Adepts can't overcast. They are limited to their magic rating for the force of their spells.
You must declare the Force at which to cast the spell. The Force acts as a limit on the spell. Higher Force spells are more powerful, but cause more Drain. You can cast a spell at a Force up to twice your Magic rating.

So where exactly is there a distinction between magician and adept?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-04-16/0516:24> »
From hard targets where Adept Spell is printed:
p.190:
"The adept has learned to cast a single spell like a mage. You learn one spell for free when acquiring this power. The maximum Force of the spell is your Magic Rating and the Drain is always physical, resisted with Body + Willpower. This ability otherwise follows the standard rules for spellcasting."
talk think matrix

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-04-16/0919:29> »
Since Mystic Adepts are also adepts your comment was only valid for the adept power Adept Spell and is just wrong in general.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-04-16/0932:14> »
Sorry, I tend to ignore the existence of Mystic Adepts on general principles.
talk think matrix

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-07-16/0318:48> »
Sorry, I tend to ignore the existence of Mystic Adepts on general principles.

This guy knows what's up.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <02-11-16/2137:51> »
I am going to pretend the light's not red and just keep on driving.

But in all fairness... I would have done mysad's as aspected mage/adept hybrid as giving them the full range (minus projection of course) is a bit overpowered in my book. So I understand the sentiment.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #24 on: <02-11-16/2338:50> »
I'm sure the children love drugs...
....my little teenage mad bomber Leela loves her Cram and Jazz.
Forsaken daughter is watching you