NEWS

Troll Gear Costs

• 6 Replies

DaBrode

• Newb
« on: <04-19-17/0208:00> »
Please help folks.  I have seen the errata from 2014 that states Trolls must pay double for everything but I'm hoping that errata was  errata-ed because it seems like a really steep penalty for the Troll metatype.  I've looked high and low to find an answer beyond the 3 year old errata and despite seeing newer threads staying It's "lifestyle costs only" and NOT gear, I can't find documentation.  Anyone that can point me to some details would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-19-17/0243:49> »
IIRC it should be right in the core rulebook, 2nd+ printing. Also you probably read that errata wrong... ???

EDIT:
Yep, there's a quote from 2nd printing book.
Trolls receive Thermographic Vision, +1 Reach, and Dermal Armor, but they also have the disadvantage of having their Lifestyle costs doubled to reflect the costs of adapting everything they use—especially their gear, including cyberware or bioware—to meet their massive physical requirements.
Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: <04-19-17/0259:11> by ZeldaBravo »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

DaBrode

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-19-17/0528:56> »
This is the errata I downloaded...

http://cdn.shadowruntabletop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/E-CAT2700E_SR5-Errata.pdf?d131f9

and I own the Fourth printing or the 5e rulebook.  My book does specifically say Lifestyle costs but then in an example a page later goes on to say 50% increase in all costs.  Then this errata above says double all costs for trolls.  I don't think I'm reading it wrong, but I may have my order of release confused.  If my book is newer than the errata perhaps that's the issue but why is this errata even posted still if the book has been updating to change even this old errata?  I'm thoroughly confused.  Is my book errata-ing this errata?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-19-17/0551:58> »
You're definitely reading something wrong, because the errata that you linked says to change the text such that it reads "Lifestyle costs doubled" it doesn't say anything about all costs. The first sentence, the one mentioning gear is a citation of the sentence that is being changed.

I also went ahead and looked at my copy of the Fourth Printing PDF, and that change has been included. The errata is still up, because there are people out there that don't have the most recent printings.

I'm not sure what example you see that says 50% increase, but I couldn't find one that does. All of the instances that I found list the proper mention of Trolls getting a +100% increase to lifestyle costs.

There hasn't been any other change to Troll's extra costs. It is just a +100% increase to lifestyle. aka doubled.

DaBrode

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-19-17/0921:20> »
I think I found my mistake in the reading.  Apparently my whole group has been reading this wrong. Thanks for pushing me to look harder.  As to the example of 50% gear increase, that is on the next page I believe where the three examples of characters are being created.  If I recall, it is the second of the three examples and I think it's a troll street samurai.  It mentions the 50% for gear thing.  Sorry I don't have my book with me to give better detail.  Regardless the errata is all I require to clarify this.  Provided I read it correctly.  D'oh!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-19-17/1011:12> »
In the original draft of Fifth Edition, dwarfs were going to have +10% gear and lifestyle costs, and trolls +50% gear and lifestyle costs. Then someone realized the chronic bookkeeping headache that would impose on dwarf and troll players, and they decided to bundle it all into Lifestyle costs instead (+20% for dwarfs, +100% for trolls) and leave the gear costs alone. They missed a few references in the first printing (p.67, 94, 95), but I think they've cleaned it up since.

So yeah, if you walked into a Weapons World outlet at the local mall in 2075, a troll-size armor jacket would probably cost more than a human-size one, but the price tag in the rulebook is the same, and the difference is bundled into the troll's Lifestyle instead. Easier that way.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <04-19-17/1046:59> »
Can you imagine if trolls had to pay +50% for augmentation?  There'd be even less trolls played in 5th edition than there is now, which is a statement considering their very high resource cost in Priority or Sum to 10.  I totally get that it doesn't make sense for the muscle replacements for a troll to cost the same as for a human when they're like twice as big, but jesus being a troll would never be worth it otherwise.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.