NEWS

[SR5] Gimme back sport rifles!

• 43 Replies

Bonx

• Newb
« on: <08-19-13/1758:03> »
The category of Sport Rifle disappeared with the 5th edition but there was nothing wrong with this category. I quit don't agree that they are similar to sniper rifles and should be treated as such. I found them good to equip civilians from the country side and critters hunters. Nice long distance tools without the over-serious looks of sniper rifles (with even a tasty Old Wild West touch when you wear a long coat).

I would have like an additional category instead - anti-material rifles - to break the sky limit of 1'500 meters range.

-  a sad customer

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-19-13/1807:28> »
They still exist. The Remington 950 and the Ruger 101 are sport/hunting rifles.
They are weaker than actual sniper rifles, but aren't forbidden.
« Last Edit: <08-19-13/1815:45> by sylanna »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <08-19-13/1847:02> »
Basically they merged the two categories but they're still treated as significantly different both legally and in stats. As upside you now can take Specialization Sniper Rifles and cover both Sport and Sniper Rifles, and it's only 1 range category now, not two.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-19-13/2013:40> »
Sporting rifles got a boost in stats, i.e. longer ranges. If it feels better, rename the "sniper rifle" category something else and that would probably solve the dilemma. The difference the book makes is between Availability F and R.
P A L L A D I O N

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-19-13/2025:39> »
It probably would have been better to simply call the group Rifles rather than Sniper Rifles.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-19-13/2056:17> »
It probably would have been better to simply call the group Rifles rather than Sniper Rifles.

This!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-19-13/2105:18> »
Other than the existence of Assault Rifles.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-19-13/2120:11> »
Other than the existence of Assault Rifles.

I'd rather see the firearm skills go to the following list:

Pistols
Machine Pistols
Rifles
Shotguns
Assault Rifles
Submachine Guns
Launch Weapons
Heavy Weapons
« Last Edit: <08-19-13/2234:00> by All4BigGuns »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-19-13/2122:27> »
Honestly I'd just like to see Machine Pistols moved to pistols. At that point I think the division would be just about perfect.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-19-13/2124:16> »
Honestly I'd just like to see Machine Pistols moved to pistols. At that point I think the division would be just about perfect.

Nah, either their own skill or put with submachine guns. (going by the list I put in the last post)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-19-13/2200:39> »
Hang on... are we talking 7 seperate skills here?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-19-13/2204:35> »

And? That is remarkably similar to the firearm skill list from SR3, and it actually worked very well. The only problem SR3 really had that I noticed was that the Matrix made SR4 look like tiddlywinks and attributes were nigh-worthless apart from a few derived things.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-19-13/2228:20> »
And?
For starters, "Pistols" still consists of Tasers, Hold-Outs, Light Pistols and Heavy Pistols, while Automatics has been split into its 3 non-implant specialization, making each skill too narrow and leaving no specializations to be had unless you artificially create new ones. EDIT: The same goes for Shotguns. As for Shotguns, they would either be part of Rifles (in which case why not keep the Longarms name?) or Heavy Weapons (which makes Rifles less fun to have since Longarms currently allows you to bring a less-likely-to-raise-eyebrows-than-sport-rifles Shotgun with you on the street). Splitting Heavy Weapons also weakens the skill by reducing it to Assault Cannons and Machine Guns, leaving you a whopping 5 different weapons in the core book. In fact, let's have a look at how many different weapons each skill would allow you to use:
  • Pistols: 17
  • Machine Pistols: 3
  • Rifles: 5
  • Shotguns: 3
  • Assault Rifles: 5
  • Submachine Guns: 6
  • Launch Weapons: 4
  • Heavy Weapons: 5
And then compare this to the regular distribution:
  • Pistols: 17
  • Automatics: 14
  • Longarms: 8
  • Heavy Weapons: 9
« Last Edit: <08-19-13/2237:39> by ZeConster »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-19-13/2235:40> »
List edited (forgot that I believe Shotguns were their own skill as well).

As to the number per skill, oh well. It worked fine, and combining the skills just led to silliness.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-19-13/2247:14> »
Didn't 3rd Edition have this thing where you could default to a related skill instead of just using Attribute - 1? That seems like it might have been important to making something like that work.
All in all, splitting everything except Pistols into a way-less-useful skill for some reason you haven't explained yet (since it's not "so we can call 'Sniper Rifles' 'Rifles' instead") seems like a bad idea.