NEWS

Adept Background Count mitigation

• 21 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-31-17/0328:27> »
So... non-combat adepts are still screwed?

Actually, the part we're debating over essentially doesn't apply to non-combat adepts. The big problem with Heightened Concern is that it doesn't specify how long it lasts. A "task" is very vague (at best), so the negation of the penalty might last only for one action or throughout a combat depending on GM opinion.

This means that during times where action economy is important (aka initiative/combat) Heightened Concern might not be quite so useful.

On the other hand, non-combat adepts probably don't have to worry as much. Taking a brief pause every so often to maintain your Heightened Concern isn't a big deal outside of combat. So this solution is always better when your magic abilities are more focused on non-combat.

Cynewulf

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <11-06-17/0749:16> »
Crisis over!
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=24595.45

Magical Skills Clarification (P. 142, Magical Skills)
Change: “In order to acquire magic-specific skills, characters must have a quality that provides a Magic rating.” To: “In order to acquire magic-specific skills, characters must be an Adept, Aspected Magician, Magician, or Mystic Adept.”

Please note that this supersedes existing errata first published 02/07/2014, which omitted Adepts from this list.

Which means Adepts can get Counterspelling, which means that they can get Cleansing metamagic! Huzzah!

It also means they can get Summoning, which opens so many options.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <11-06-17/1217:12> »

Which means Adepts can get Counterspelling, which means that they can get Cleansing metamagic! Huzzah!

It also means they can get Summoning, which opens so many options.
No, sorry, Adepts still "cannot use skills from any magic-related skill groups (Sorcery, Conjuring, or Enchanting)." as per the rules. That's what Mystic Adepts are for.

The change you are quoting was needed because Adepts can still learn the Arcana, Assensing (with Astral Perception power), and Astral Combat magical skills. The first errata mistakenly made it so Adepts weren't able to take them at all.
« Last Edit: <11-06-17/1227:41> by Officerzan »

Cynewulf

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <11-06-17/1329:32> »
So you're saying Adepts can't use the skills... even though they can buy the skills.
I really hope you are wrong. My opinion of editing in the latest edition is getting worse.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-06-17/1342:58> »
Cynewulf, what you are suggesting would literally make Mystic Adepts (and Aspected Magicians) completely pointless.

It's a case of specific trumps general. Adepts have access to magic-related skills (in general), but another rule states that skills from the Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting groups are still off-limits.

Also Assensing still specifies you must be able to Astrally perceive to get it, that doesn't go away either.
« Last Edit: <11-06-17/1345:45> by Kiirnodel »

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <11-06-17/1428:55> »
So you're saying Adepts can't use the skills... even though they can buy the skills.
I really hope you are wrong. My opinion of editing in the latest edition is getting worse.
No one can acquire any skill listed under the Magical Skills without being an Adept, Mystic Adept, Magician, or Aspected Magician. Adepts are explicitly forbidden from any skills in a magical skill Group (Sorcery, Conjuring, or Enchanting).

Poor wording does have the issue of making it appear that Adepts can learn the skills they can't use. Really, if a player wants to waste points by giving an Adept skills that they can't use and the GM for some reason allows it, then I guess they can.

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #21 on: <12-03-17/0926:57> »
I'm not arguing the point, just pointing out that the Adept power Adept spell allows an Adept to cast one spell just like magicians or Mystic adepts do. It also states that you are required to have the spell-casting skill in order to cast the spell.