NEWS

Anyone else have a problem with Infiltration?

• 88 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #15 on: <10-14-11/0440:23> »
I'll Tell you this Mason, he's gotten worse with infiltration lately, next time have him roll for surprise, oops he got less hits then they did, once he shoots one, the guy he jacked the pistol from turns around realizes his holster is lighter and then quick draws and fires at him with a second pistol or some other nast goodness.  I had been thinking about how to handle him pulling that when we start the turn I run.

(Emphasis added by me)

Wait - he got (gets) to shoot someone without a Surprise Roll?

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-14-11/0451:33> »
Now, i am not a very unlucky person; I tend to score 50-70% hits on my dice. But this man, he scores 80-90% on average. He has only ever failed one test, because every time he rolls less than 4 hits, the Gamemaster of the moment rolls a critical glitch or just no hits. usually the glitch. On pools of 20.

Just wait his time will come just like me.

Though it is funny when a 6 Intelligent Orc PC of mine outsmarts both a Sorcerer, through RP, and a Bard with Bardic Knowledge through rolls..... Critical!

I was actually thinking about forcing him to play a magician in our upcoming SRM games, he doesn't do too well with drain.
Living the Electronic Dream

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #17 on: <10-14-11/1129:25> »
Bad idea. Forcing someone to play something leaves dissatisfaction.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-14-11/1157:34> »
Now, i am not a very unlucky person; I tend to score 50-70% hits on my dice. But this man, he scores 80-90% on average. He has only ever failed one test, because every time he rolls less than 4 hits, the Gamemaster of the moment rolls a critical glitch or just no hits. usually the glitch. On pools of 20.

Just wait his time will come just like me.

Though it is funny when a 6 Intelligent Orc PC of mine outsmarts both a Sorcerer, through RP, and a Bard with Bardic Knowledge through rolls..... Critical!

I was actually thinking about forcing him to play a magician in our upcoming SRM games, he doesn't do too well with drain.

My Drain roll does generally pretty well, and when i'm not sure about it I edge it. 6 edge cushion. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

clashmasterj

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <10-14-11/1436:55> »
I have one of those infiltrating masters and I love catching him with the simple things, like a squeaky door or loose floorboards. Course the latter was cancelled out when he picked up traceless walk...
Bottom line to any of these problems is do what is best for the story. If the story is good then you'll never hear a complaint that your major NPC dodged that perfectly aimed shot
Player : "Can I call one of my hacker friends?"
GM : "You don't have any friends."
Player pouts.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-14-11/1450:52> »
I have one of those infiltrating masters and I love catching him with the simple things, like a squeaky door or loose floorboards. Course the latter was cancelled out when he picked up traceless walk...
Bottom line to any of these problems is do what is best for the story. If the story is good then you'll never hear a complaint that your major NPC dodged that perfectly aimed shot

Trust me... he was expecting it. Even if he was turned around 1500 meters away and was busy goggling some hot elf passing by. He was expecting it! xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Thermo

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <10-14-11/1748:48> »
I'm actually still not quite sure what you can use infiltration for besides sneaking past someone? I mean if I want to get into a building without being seen do i just roll infiltration? once i'm inside do I just keep rolling it as i move about the building? Take into account 9 hit's is WAAAAAY crazy. Means your a stealthy ninja if you take the "Difficulty Table" into account. I try to go by that table as much as possible.

I believe the table went like this...

1 Hit = Easy
2 hit = Moderate
3 hits = hard
5+ hits = Extreme

This is one of the reasons I really liked the dice system in SR3.. you do something totally nuts and have a threshold of over 18 and it's damn near impossible, even with edge. Those same 20 dice need to roll 3 sixes in a row. First roll, maybe 4 6's. Next roll, probably 1 or 2. Third roll, not too likely.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <10-14-11/1937:51> »
Bad idea. Forcing someone to play something leaves dissatisfaction.

Let me rephrase that, not force him, convince him that he should challenge himself.  Pretty much challlenge him to play a mage.
Living the Electronic Dream

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-14-11/2319:32> »
I'm actually still not quite sure what you can use infiltration for besides sneaking past someone? I mean if I want to get into a building without being seen do i just roll infiltration? once i'm inside do I just keep rolling it as i move about the building? Take into account 9 hit's is WAAAAAY crazy. Means your a stealthy ninja if you take the "Difficulty Table" into account. I try to go by that table as much as possible.

I believe the table went like this...

1 Hit = Easy
2 hit = Moderate
3 hits = hard
5+ hits = Extreme

This is one of the reasons I really liked the dice system in SR3.. you do something totally nuts and have a threshold of over 18 and it's damn near impossible, even with edge. Those same 20 dice need to roll 3 sixes in a row. First roll, maybe 4 6's. Next roll, probably 1 or 2. Third roll, not too likely.

Threshhold of 18? I can almost beat that with my 27 Edged gunslinger's dice. >.>

Just made another character that has 34 dice edged for a combat roll as well.... <.<

My average tends to be 13 dice, but that's just average.... :P

clashmasterj

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <10-15-11/0103:53> »

Trust me... he was expecting it. Even if he was turned around 1500 meters away and was busy goggling some hot elf passing by. He was expecting it! xD

He had an anchored detect bullet/deflect combo amulet
Player : "Can I call one of my hacker friends?"
GM : "You don't have any friends."
Player pouts.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <10-15-11/1112:18> »
In all seriousness, the best way I've ever found to counter some player's consistently amazing/extravagant but legal behavior is to make them deal with it.

In this case, make an uber-infiltrator, and create a reason for him to be hunting the team and especially Mr. Stealthy. Let the team learn of the hunt, make a reason they get to learn just how effective this guy is, then let it run.

As a worst-case example: enemy sends message - "I'm the best. You're encroaching. I'm going to prove I'm better by interfering with you, then in your humiliation I'm going to kill you. And I'm so good you can't do a thing about it." (Basically a variation on the gunfighter problem.)

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-15-11/1137:20> »
In all seriousness, the best way I've ever found to counter some player's consistently amazing/extravagant but legal behavior is to make them deal with it.

In this case, make an uber-infiltrator, and create a reason for him to be hunting the team and especially Mr. Stealthy. Let the team learn of the hunt, make a reason they get to learn just how effective this guy is, then let it run.

As a worst-case example: enemy sends message - "I'm the best. You're encroaching. I'm going to prove I'm better by interfering with you, then in your humiliation I'm going to kill you. And I'm so good you can't do a thing about it." (Basically a variation on the gunfighter problem.)

I am already doing exactly that :D

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <10-15-11/1140:25> »

Threshhold of 18? I can almost beat that with my 27 Edged gunslinger's dice. >.>

Just made another character that has 34 dice edged for a combat roll as well.... <.<

Nah, threshold on each individual die. In SR3, you took the # on the die and compared it to a target. In this case, 18. To get an 18, you need each individual die to roll a 6, then another 6, then another 6. All dice in SR3 were using the Rule of Six to meet thresholds. Every die that scored 18 or more was a hit. Average thresholds were 4 or 5.

Thermo

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <10-15-11/1308:08> »

Nah, threshold on each individual die. In SR3, you took the # on the die and compared it to a target. In this case, 18. To get an 18, you need each individual die to roll a 6, then another 6, then another 6. All dice in SR3 were using the Rule of Six to meet thresholds. Every die that scored 18 or more was a hit. Average thresholds were 4 or 5.

yep, what he said.

The advantage as a GM is that as the threshold increased it became exponentially harder to meet it, so there really WAS a big difference between a threshold of 11 and a threshold of 14. Just having PC's throw more dice pool (and edge) at it gave them depreciating returns.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <10-15-11/1318:42> »

yep, what he said.

The advantage as a GM is that as the threshold increased it became exponentially harder to meet it, so there really WAS a big difference between a threshold of 11 and a threshold of 14. Just having PC's throw more dice pool (and edge) at it gave them depreciating returns.
So you went from threshold 6 (1/6) to threshold 8 (5/36)? man, that's a jump.