NEWS

Seattle road map

• 96 Replies

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #15 on: <09-28-11/1251:50> »
Reliability is proportional to the money of the district. Downtown 'plex, where there's a lot of commerce and cash flow makes it pretty reliable in those areas. Head out to the barrens, and you'll be lucky to find a cab that isn't part of the Ghoul "Meals-on-Wheels" program.

You, sir, are epic! I will remember that!

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-28-11/1433:36> »
As of 2011, Seattle does not have an underground subway system. It is mostly buses with a few monorails that are above ground. If you get a chance, look at Seattle through Google Earth and have the terrain feature turned on. You'll notice that Seattle is a very hilly, almost mountainous area (which makes sense, given the proximity to Mt. Rainier and other mountains). Given that the Ork Underground is underneath the majority of Downtown, which is the remains of real-life Seattle buildings that were lost in the early 1900's and that Seattle is near an active volcano, I doubt that anyone would be able to build an underground subway system and the terrain outside of Downtown is not really suitable for monorails (which don't like steep inclines).

I would imagine in 2072 that there are a few monorails making a Downtown circuit but still mostly buses to the areas safe enough to handle them. And don't forget the ferrys... Seattle is and would likely still be famous for them.

This is correct, and there are ALOT of busses. Also about Seattle being hilly. OMG 2 blocks walking straight uphill left me out of breath it is sometimes that much of a climb. There's supposed to be "7 hills" in seattle the city. Never been to them all myself but figured i'd relay some information. If I remember correctly the lost underground of Seattle is supposed to be haunted and it is literally built on top of the old city beneath it. You can go on tours current day, and there are places where you can look up through the ceiling and see parts of seattle above. (because there's like glassy ceiling tiles you can see through, if i'm remembering correctly.)

This may be common knowledge but, finding parking in seattle is a pain in the ass and you have to pay to park. (coming from Puyallup where there are parking lots and the sort and more of a town then a city this is a little strange to me so I often don't incorperate that into my game. *shrugs* now that I think about it a parking garage might be an interesting place for a meeting with a johnson. xD

though I  sort of imagine that in seattle the buildings would be build up and there would be multiple layers of 'streets'. Not sure how to describe how I imagine it, but if you've seen Star Wars Coruscant. that's kinda of I imagine Seattle evolving into. Maybe it hasn't and it's just base streets but who knows? :P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <09-28-11/1537:10> »
I've described a number of elevated highways (At least three high in some places!) in the city with my group, none have complained or called me on it in any way.  Considering how tight and congested Seattle is due to having no room to grow, it makes sense to have them to facilitate traffic patterns.

Downtown Seattle has a Monorail (You see it in the SNES Shadowrun game, actually, it's a nice way of piecing the city off, actually), and it was a minor part of the Archology Shutdown (Well, major to the people who were stuck on the last train into the Arc!).

My group has never taken the bus, but constantly take cabs (Ghoul Cab being their choice when going from/into the Barrens.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-28-11/1639:19> »
I'm wondering if bus' would be cheaper... o.O'
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <09-28-11/1752:00> »
Think about the buses in Shadowrun.  (Or read the link.  ;D )
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #20 on: <09-28-11/1956:26> »
The funny thing is I have never been to Seattle. I just do a lot of research for my games in general. I do have a friend that lives in Redmond (who often refers to Mt. Rainier as Mt. Doom) to helps with not-so obvious stuff (like the terrain shift).
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-29-11/0948:39> »
The funny thing is I have never been to Seattle. I just do a lot of research for my games in general. I do have a friend that lives in Redmond (who often refers to Mt. Rainier as Mt. Doom) to helps with not-so obvious stuff (like the terrain shift).

If for some reason you need Tacoma help, you can call on me.  Puyallup as well.   Mason could help as well if you ask him really nicely.
Living the Electronic Dream

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #22 on: <09-29-11/1012:36> »
Thanks Arc...

If you get the chance, take a look through my Google Maps and see if there's anything grossly out of place. I noticed going through the Seattle 2072 book that a few of the places listed either didn't exist (according to Seattle 2011 street maps) or were not in the district that they were listed in (like stuff just on the border of Renton and Puyallup.

"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-29-11/1107:53> »
The borders of Seattle 2072 are incorrect/changed in some instances. When in doubt, use the Seattle sourcebook, since it is canon for Shadowrun.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-29-11/1230:00> »
Thanks Arc...

If you get the chance, take a look through my Google Maps and see if there's anything grossly out of place. I noticed going through the Seattle 2072 book that a few of the places listed either didn't exist (according to Seattle 2011 street maps) or were not in the district that they were listed in (like stuff just on the border of Renton and Puyallup.

I have my own problems with Seattle 2070.  One thing I do like doing is finding addresses IRL for sbadowrun places.  The Cathode Glow, in game, is on the corner of Proctor and 6th Ave South. IRL there is a Computer Repair shop there now.  I just really feel Left out because the Hospital I work at wasn't included in the book.
Living the Electronic Dream

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-29-11/1914:12> »
Thanks Arc...

I have my own problems with Seattle 2070.  One thing I do like doing is finding addresses IRL for sbadowrun places.  The Cathode Glow, in game, is on the corner of Proctor and 6th Ave South. IRL there is a Computer Repair shop there now.  I just really feel Left out because the Hospital I work at wasn't included in the book.

Don't feel bad St. Clair is where I work and I do believe that one wasn't included. That's in lakewood area however. :P

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <09-29-11/1939:57> »
Yeah, they list Mary Bridge in there, but they keep calling it "Bridge Hospital". WTF? i have never heard someone refer to Mary Bridge as "Bridge Hospital". Then they leave out St. Joe's, one of Tacoma's best hospitals, in favor of Tacoma General.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-29-11/1958:59> »
Yeah, they list Mary Bridge in there, but they keep calling it "Bridge Hospital". WTF? i have never heard someone refer to Mary Bridge as "Bridge Hospital". Then they leave out St. Joe's, one of Tacoma's best hospitals, in favor of Tacoma General.

Heh, maybe it's mostly written by people who don't live in washington? It wouldn't surprise me much. Curious did you ever read anything about the Puyallup Fair grounds? I'm thinking an abbandoned fairground in the wastes would make an awesome place for a shadowrun mission.

At least they got the "Tacoma Auroma right" ugh... somedays man.

>.> I'm thinking spanaway lake hasn't changed much. (being toxic and gross that is. Happens when you have so many ducks in one lake. XD)

So i'm guessing you guys play a game in tacoma area? Curious are you and ARC in the same game and would you mind perhaps someday in the future a stranger showing up? :P I'm still new to the game so i'm trying to get a good feel for it DMing wise. xD Helps when you play as the PC however and experience the game. xD

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-29-11/2001:46> »
uhm...we have like 8 people right now...maybe? It's at Arc's house, so it is up to him and his wife.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-29-11/2034:20> »
uhm...we have like 8 people right now...maybe? It's at Arc's house, so it is up to him and his wife.

hah, i see. Well then might be a bit crowded then. I don't want to over crowd you if you feel uncomfortable with it.

I currently have anywhere from 4-12 people playing Dnd. Good news is it's been a long time since we've been able to get every single person to show up so it ends up being around 6-10 people. Big groups are hectic however.