NEWS

Sticky Fingered Player giving me headaches...

• 158 Replies

DamienHollow

« Reply #30 on: <06-11-13/1819:43> »
I think I'll hit their reputation. Johnson isn't going to like finding out they're doing side jobs on his dime and their Fixer isn't going to give them jobs that require a level of trust. The main problem I have is that if he keeps this up then there's no incentive. They are doing this to eat and preferably retire at the end of their career. Hell by now they should be drawing a lot of unwanted attention so an ambush might be appropriate.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #31 on: <06-11-13/1847:24> »
Did he steal anything important at any point? Chickens could be coming home to roost.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <06-11-13/2337:50> »
'Suggest' that he reads the section on stealing on the job in Attitude before the next session. If he continues stealing, have some of those things burn his contacts. Soon, he's going to get a crap rep, which will affect his team rep as well, which will affect the jobs they get called in on. And he'll also have contacts who will stop moving stuff for him, or who may just stop talking to him altogether. Just remember, it doesn't matter what the actual item stolen was. Sometimes, just the fact that an item was stolen from X place at Y time when Z thing happened is enough for the people who may want to dish a bit of payback to connect the dots.

In general, stealing things that aren't part of the job is a bad idea, unless the thefts are a cover to distract people from the actual job (stealing a bunch of stuff from the warehouse to disguise the fact that you switched the shipping labels on a few containers to redirect a few shipments to the client, for instance).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DamienHollow

« Reply #33 on: <06-12-13/0501:57> »
'Suggest' that he reads the section on stealing on the job in Attitude before the next session. If he continues stealing, have some of those things burn his contacts. Soon, he's going to get a crap rep, which will affect his team rep as well, which will affect the jobs they get called in on. And he'll also have contacts who will stop moving stuff for him, or who may just stop talking to him altogether. Just remember, it doesn't matter what the actual item stolen was. Sometimes, just the fact that an item was stolen from X place at Y time when Z thing happened is enough for the people who may want to dish a bit of payback to connect the dots.

In general, stealing things that aren't part of the job is a bad idea, unless the thefts are a cover to distract people from the actual job (stealing a bunch of stuff from the warehouse to disguise the fact that you switched the shipping labels on a few containers to redirect a few shipments to the client, for instance).

That is a rulebook I have been intentionally avoiding, own the PDF, but avoiding. I'll have to read it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-12-13/0507:38> »
There is very little in the way of 'rules' in Attitude. It is, however, very big on worldbuilding, and has a prime example of how stealing on the job can burn you. Riser stole a fancy gun on a datasteal from a weapons lab once, and took it to his gunsmith contact to get modified. Turns out fancy guns going missing from the R&D lab raises red flags, and caused heat to fall on his contact, which caused Riser to have to hot foot it for a while. If a player is stealing things that aren't part of the job all the time, then introduce him to consequences. Including, perhaps, 'gifting' him with the Signature quality, which he'll have to buy off as normal.

My Characters

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #35 on: <06-12-13/1116:05> »
think I'll hit their reputation. Johnson isn't going to like finding out they're doing side jobs on his dime and their Fixer isn't going to give them jobs that require a level of trust. The main problem I have is that if he keeps this up then there's no incentive. They are doing this to eat and preferably retire at the end of their career. Hell by now they should be drawing a lot of unwanted attention so an ambush might be appropriate.
You can reward them too. The infamous carrot that is not an orange stick. You can have the Johnson instruct them to definitely do not touch or interfere with anything in the building. And give a bonus if they follow orders. You can do this with killing guards too. Avoiding killing guards and you get a bonus.

Welcome back Mir.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-12-13/1343:43> »
You can reward them too. The infamous carrot that is not an orange stick. You can have the Johnson instruct them to definitely do not touch or interfere with anything in the building. And give a bonus if they follow orders. You can do this with killing guards too. Avoiding killing guards and you get a bonus.

Yeah...I am looking forward in my group to when a Johnson gives them a job where they are not to kill or injure anyone.
It will be interesting to see my current group of players try to pull that off: Heavy Weapon Troll, Ex-merc Combat Mage, ex-Red Samurai, psychopathic Razorboy, and a Technomancer. The troll one shotted a Force 5 Fire Blood Spirit...Note: not one rounded,
one SHOTTED (HV HMG loaded with Stick n Shock....)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <06-13-13/1342:06> »
First run of my current Campaign: Johnson wanted a non-lethal message sent. Offered the players gelrounds at normal prices. Everyone without non-lethal immediately bought him out. (I nerfed SnS to use Taser ranges.) Later, one guy used a machine gun to fire through a wall. With gelrounds.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #38 on: <06-13-13/1437:56> »
Was the wall stunned?
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #39 on: <06-13-13/1449:54> »
It was. So was the guy behind it who got hit for 9S.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #40 on: <06-13-13/1616:20> »
Oo
How can gel rounds penetrate a wall? I guess it was not a very solid wall, cause rule wise, I'm not even sure that you could pass through a dividing wall, which is quite easy with a gun with regular ammo.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #41 on: <06-13-13/1619:41> »
There's rules for shooting through walls, needing enough damage and adding to the armor of the person being shot at (+ blind fire penalty if he hadn't been using Radar). He needed 5 net hits to be able to pierce the wall, if I recall correctly. Since it was an unopposed test, that took just a bit of luck.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <06-13-13/1803:25> »
Yes, shooting people through walls is always more effective when they don't know its coming.

My Characters

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #43 on: <06-14-13/0003:46> »
Yes, shooting people through walls is always more effective when they don't know its coming.
Yeah, at the very least they'll lose Reaction, dodge, and gymnastics. (Or combat pool in 3rd ed.) This will probaly balance out the blind fire and the material penalties, especially if the material is weak. Of course, security councious targets will know this and probaly take steps to have hardened and armored materials not only on walls, but also windows.

Even after the target takes cover also, continuous fire say from heavy machine guns may tear up cover such as furniture over several rounds. Which is why it can be an effective tactic to just blow the hell out of a house. Of course this assumes the house is weak enough. It also assumes you aren't in a zone where the cops or security teams will get there really fast.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <06-14-13/0916:57> »
Personally, I like to leave those discussions to Mr. Barrett with his APDS and his Ultrawideband Radar.

My Characters