NEWS

Sticky Fingered Player giving me headaches...

• 158 Replies

DamienHollow

« on: <06-08-13/1949:27> »
I've got a player who likes to snag extras while on runs. Now I don't mind if this is some cyber or a few goodies just laying around. I could even handle some big things. But he is going after corporate secrets, hidden data, walked off with a small backup server on one occasion for the data on it. He will go far out of his way to grab a big score while on a run. Advice?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-08-13/2009:56> »
Higher pay. If someone is doing such shenanigans, then your runs aren't paying enough.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

DamienHollow

« Reply #2 on: <06-08-13/2028:29> »
"Milk Runs" (like there is such a thing) pay out 5K per member up and Never take more than a week at the most. Most of their runs that involve serious danger start at 25k per member and go up (usually with a hefty bonus if it takes more than a week or involves serious danger) . They normally get two to three runs a month. Sometimes four if they've been making milk runs.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-08-13/2031:05> »
That may be true, Guns, but it is neither the only nor the least likely case.  If it's just one guy, it's less likely an issue of pay and more likely to be something else, like the player being used to games where you take everything that's not nailed down, or maybe he just thinks that's how the game is meant to be played, or it's something he sees as part and parcel to his character.

There is almost never just one possibility, and you don't have the grounds for that sort of certainty.

What sort of obstacles have been between him and the extra stuff?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-08-13/2033:35> »
How much has this player played D&D and/or Pathfinder?

DamienHollow

« Reply #5 on: <06-08-13/2038:13> »
That may be true, Guns, but it is neither the only nor the least likely case.  If it's just one guy, it's less likely an issue of pay and more likely to be something else, like the player being used to games where you take everything that's not nailed down, or maybe he just thinks that's how the game is meant to be played, or it's something he sees as part and parcel to his character.

There is almost never just one possibility, and you don't have the grounds for that sort of certainty.

What sort of obstacles have been between him and the extra stuff?

He's had two run ins with the Red Samurai and another with Ares Firewatch.
How much has this player played D&D and/or Pathfinder?

This guy was raised playing D&D. To tell you the truth I haven't seen this guy play one game and not make the GM give up the game out of frustration. One part min maxer one part "If I don't like what you're doing I will ruin your game."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-08-13/2044:04> »
Then ask him what he's wanting. Then again, it's not like he's doing anything that "has to have a stop put to it".

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-08-13/2049:56> »
What sort of security measures, aside from that which had to be defeated to get at the target of the run, have been in his way?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #8 on: <06-08-13/2056:59> »
I have a player like this as well.  When he was a mind manipulation mage, he took bank accounts, identies ect.   As a hacker, the team raided a research facility looking for a particular file.  He used agents to copy he entire database...
The pay was 60,000, and other runs its been more or less.  It's just how he seems to play his characters.  If his next character is a street Sam, I expect that he will sell his victims to body shops...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

DamienHollow

« Reply #9 on: <06-08-13/2059:19> »
What sort of security measures, aside from that which had to be defeated to get at the target of the run, have been in his way?
Aside from actual boots on the ground and drones he's dealt with locks, sensors of all kinds, spiders, and shear distance to his target. I almost killed him once when I took a leaf from one of the rule books (a fluff page in Unwired I think) and had his target sitting in the middle of a cloud of nanites. His team has a dedicated medic/face who saved his ass. Still didn't learn. I think at this point he's doing it to spite me.

If he thinks he's being railroaded (and there are time i think he sees Plot as railroad, i shudder to think what he would do with the Artifacts runs) he will do everything he can to derail the story from there on. Last game I GMd with him was a D&D 4th edition where he didn't like how I started the game and promptly derailed the plot to the point there wasn't a NPC that could drive the story who would trust the party enough to do so. This guy is a pain, I like the group but most of them are type B personalities who would rather deal with him than try and find someone else. I think I just need to find a new group all together.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-08-13/2108:29> »
...  This is an out-of-game problem, and thus you cannot solve it through in-game means.  You're simply going to need to talk to him about your issues why he feels compelled to do this, and consider if you're willing to boot him from the game.  Pure and simple.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-08-13/2111:25> »
"If I don't like what you're doing I will ruin your game."
Remove him from your game. He's not going to fix himself no matter what you do.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #12 on: <06-08-13/2134:37> »
As someone who used to be that kind of player, I'm all in favor of the 'boot him from the game if he refuses to rein himself in' option. It's what I did to myself once I realized that the game I was in (and the other players/GM) would be better served by my absence while I sorted myself out. A few months later I was in the right headspace and was welcomed back.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

DamienHollow

« Reply #13 on: <06-08-13/2146:41> »
I think I'm just going to leave the group even if i can't find another one. The others cave to him so it's less of a "throw him out" as it is a " I leave the group." Tried it before, didn't work. I'll wrap up the game next session and start looking harder. I've had a hell of a time.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-08-13/2148:32> »
Why would you do that?   Maybe you should talk to the group first - the fact that you're feeling like you have to do something about it might be enough to get them to do the same.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites