NEWS

Great Form spirits?

• 6 Replies

funkytim

• Omae
« on: <07-28-21/0316:46> »
Street Wyrd is a little vague on how to give you great form spirit powers.  Under the description of the metamagic the net hits add to the services of the spirit.  Do these net hits also count towards the great form spirit power chart?  Do you trade these services for the same chart?  Is there a separate roll that this chart uses?

This is all kind of academic at this point because I don't see me getting this power for some time.  But Astral Gateway seems that it would make some runs pretty easy.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-04-21/1139:36> »
Is there a convention from a previous SR version?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-21/1242:50> »
Knowing the Invocation metamagic lets you summon great form spirits. In addition to the standard and optional powers for their spirit type, great spirits start with an additional great spirit power according to the "Great Spirit Powers" table in Street Wyrd (p.66). Depending on what type of spirit you summon, this great form power could be Storm (Air, Fire, Guardian, Water), Paralyzing Howl (Beast), Quake (Earth), Temporal Displacement (Guidance), Magical Guard (Kin), Regeneration (Plant), or Wealth (Task).

There are three new spirit powers listed in Street Wyrd that are available to great form spirits but are not assigned to a spirit type in the "Great Spirit Powers" table: Aura Masking, Divining, and Endowment. I would treat these as additional optional powers for great form spirits. Remember, all spirits get one optional power for every three full points of Force (SR6 p.147).

Note that Astral Gateway (SW p.66) is only available to free spirits, not great form spirits.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-04-21/1509:00> »
Thanks for the reply Sphinx.  So I guess the "Great Form Spirit Hit Results" table on page 66 needs to be edited.  That was part of my confusion. 

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-04-21/1703:55> »
Thanks for the reply Sphinx.  So I guess the "Great Form Spirit Hit Results" table on page 66 needs to be edited.  That was part of my confusion. 

Yeah, that table's problematic for several reasons. It's in the wrong place, to start with. There's no direct reference to it anywhere in the text for Invocation (p.122) or Great Form Spirits (p.66). They might have intended to grant extra abilities with enough hits on the Invocation test, but it needs more explanation and a bit of work. Magical Guard shouldn't be available to all great form spirits with 4 hits and then be the designated power for Kin spirits at 6 hits. The table doesn't mention Aura Masking or Divining, which are supposed to be Great powers, but it does have Astral Gateway, which only has the "(Free)" descriptor. The table feels like something that was meant to be moved or changed, but got overlooked in the rush to print.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-06-21/1544:41> »
Thanks for the clarifications Sphinx

Chopper

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-07-21/1205:22> »
Sphinx,

In respect to Astral Gateway and the direct conflict of references.

What is your source for the reconciling the table on page 66 versus the lack of saying great form on page 66 under Astral Gateway. There is precedent with that table from previous editions.

There is no way to know which one was incorrect without a source. Was that a line developer call? An errata team call? and SR Missions errata FAQ team call?

Exactly who is saying the table is invalid?

Cheers,
Chopper