NEWS

holoware's usefulness

• 5 Replies

PapaR

• Newb
« on: <09-19-11/0621:15> »
I was reading attitude and ran across haloware, it sounded amazing until I got to this part "though holos can be quite realistic, a Perception + intuition (2) test is usually suffi cient to distinguish a hologram from a real object or person." With a threshold of 2 it doesn't seem like they would be worth anything. So I was wondering what practical applications it might have, it seems it might be able to fool cameras from this passage "The hood has some legal grey areas with photo surveillance."

Any ideas?

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #1 on: <09-19-11/0640:01> »
house rule it. Holos come in ratings 1-x, threshold is Rating, costs rise very high for the SOTA stuff that seems totally real.

Use it for the Total Recall trick. Oh, you think this is me? It is! BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-19-11/0642:56> »
Start with it on. Do your run. Turn it off.

While it's on, they may not notice it's a projection. (consider percept 3 Int 3 -2 for distracted, other situational modifiers may also apply.) Even if they do, it doesn't say they get a good look at what's inside the projection, just that they know it's  projection.

So everybody wears their halloween costume for the job and at the flick of a mental switch they're out of costume and look like someone else -- who is obviously NOT wearing holoware.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-19-11/0709:29> »
It's also worth noting that Holowear is socially acceptable even if people know it's holowear. It's handy because it is a full-body armor that you can effectively wear just about anywhere, and it's one of the neater ways of hiding armored pajamas and obvious cyberware and all that jazz. It totally doesn't matter that people notice that it's holowear, because holowear is something you can wear around town.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #4 on: <09-19-11/0731:26> »
well, that just about makes combat monster face characters more possible. Great. I won't mention this to my players.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #5 on: <09-22-11/1222:12> »
It should be noted that a threshold of 2 isn't nothing.
Sure, vs trained pro's it won't always work, but an average person has 3 intuition and a perception skill of 0. 2 hits is quite a lot for them.