NEWS

Best walking armed vehical?

• 24 Replies

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <09-20-11/0148:02> »
You still have high speed chasses as you get run through parks uneven terain over cars (jumping or stomping not sure yet) use the winch to drop down to lower roadways use lamp posts as swing bars round corners repel off of carparks climb over dumpsters bloacking the allyway.
Well thats what I hope I get to try in game. it souds fun to me!!

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-20-11/0934:11> »
I find there are more stairs than high speed chases, and when I see a high speed chase, it is solved by firepower, spirits and sprites rather than speed.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-20-11/1002:47> »
1: too much anime.
2: not enough time facing SnS or other electricity damage.

Take the original poster's machine: 10 body 6 armor.

SnS from an automatic weapon fired Narrow Full Burst, assuming 15 dice for the attack (skill + attribs + mods) for 5 nominal hits. I think he's intending the Response to be 6 so we'll go with that for 2 nominal defense hits.

We get 3 (5-2 nominal) hits on the roll. Add 6 for the ammo. Vehicles don't get stunned so we can ignore that whole section, and get 5+6+9 (narrow full burst) for 17 attacks. The vehicle has to roll body + armor or 16 dice to beat the threshold of 20. Obviously not going to happen, so the vehicle shuts down for 17 combat turns.

If the OP adds 6 non-conductivity, he gets 22 dice to beat the threshold of 17.  The nominal requirement to beat a target of 17 is 42.

Oh, you don't think the +9 for NFB should be added? OK, the target is now 8. He still needs 24 dice nominal. (Actually, I'd change to wide full or long burst, neutralizing the attacker's defense. Target is 10.)

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <09-20-11/1015:40> »
Kirk, are you talking about the electricity damage effect of "don't tase me bro", where you roll Armor + Body vs. hits of the attack (so that's the number of hits the attacker got)? Narrow Bursts and 6S damage does not factor into that roll.

If you mean the 6S damage from SnS ammo, it bounces off because vehicles can't take stun damage.

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-20-11/1022:14> »
Cool i can add that after first game or berore sounds like before would be better.
I did run on a bit with that dicription of what a chase sean might be like but i was enthoused for the challange.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-20-11/1123:52> »
Kirk, are you talking about the electricity damage effect of "don't tase me bro", where you roll Armor + Body vs. hits of the attack (so that's the number of hits the attacker got)? Narrow Bursts and 6S damage does not factor into that roll.
If you mean the 6S damage from SnS ammo, it bounces off because vehicles can't take stun damage.
I'm not at my books right now so I can't double-check.  I do recall being slightly confused, however, about it -- I seem to recall the target is "attacks" and nothing is called "attacks".

Would you mind pointing me at where this is clarified in the rules - say, definition of "attacks" or some such?

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-20-11/1232:18> »
Quote from: SR4A Page 164
Electronic equipment, vehicles, and drones can also be affected by Electricity damage.
They never suffer Stun damage, but they do roll Body + Armor (drones and vehicles) or Armor x 2 (other objects) to resist secondary effects. If they achieve equal or more hits than the attack, they are unaffected. Otherwise, they cease to function for a number of Combat Turns equal to 2 + net hits scored on the attack test (and may need to reboot after that).

It seems pretty straightforward. Roll Body + Armor to resist secondary effects, if they achieve equal or more hits than the attack, they are unaffected. Base damage and burst damage are not hits. I see no mention of the term “attacks”. There is “the attack” (and no, you aren’t going to get a definition of that), if you want more explanation of attacks, check out page 149 “the combat sequence”

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-20-11/1257:02> »
Thank you, squee_nabob. I was reading "the attack" as the final DV. I'll reread when I get to the rule book, but have little doubt I was mistaken. For one thing, my interpretation was making SnS a huge no-brainer against drones.

That still gives Barskor's vehicle fits if any attacker uses wide long burst (to counter defense) with a nominal 20 attacker dice pool. Body 10, armor 6 = 16 dice to overcome an expected threshold of 7. Heck, adding 6 nonconductivity and it's still barely better than 50% getting 7 or more hits. SnS is still a major pain for mechanicals, just not so bad as to make everyone plan on walking.

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #23 on: <09-23-11/0530:49> »
In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-23-11/0929:02> »
I see posts like this and wonder if I wandered into the BattleTech forums somehow.