NEWS

Choice of vehicles for a smuggler

• 28 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #15 on: <08-14-11/2121:14> »
Windowless GMC Stepvan with "Free Candy" Spraypainted on the side?
Shot on sight by gangs, parents and authorities alike ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <08-14-11/2348:14> »
I'm having no luck.

A rusted to hell 2050 Ford America that backfires?  (Let's see who gets this reference.)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-15-11/0057:59> »
+1 to CanRay

I didn't make the character a rigger of any sort, so drones are fairly out of the question for him. I'll probably replace the armor with something else, but I like the idea of keeping this car as self sufficient as possible. I'll probably toss Spoof chips and a morpher on there to help with stuff, but there's no way a guy with the dayjob of a courier (self employed, makes enough on legit runs and runs for the local triad to keep it to a 10-20 hour work week.) Is going to travel during Rush Hour unless he absolutely has to. I might bump up to the Shin though, given I'd be able to hold more, and put a few more mods on it (maybe a MDS with a flexible mounted machine gun or something, I dunno), But I may just keep this as it is, though I'll be adding in a concealed compartment, probably against magic assessing or something. I wonder h ow much it would cost for it to be airtight too.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-15-11/0519:46> »
I wonder h ow much it would cost for it to be airtight too.
My first thought would be.... a lot.

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #19 on: <08-15-11/0524:12> »
try this chargen:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7y6gmfmainryb7n

Works very good with vehicle modifications

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-15-11/0545:07> »

As GM, airtight wouldn't cost all that much with me.  It's not all that difficult to make something airtight, a couple of o-rings and a good clip to keep the o-rings against each other and not much will go in (basic principle of a case for an underwater camera).  Warded against magical assensing on the other hand...
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-15-11/0558:01> »

As GM, airtight wouldn't cost all that much with me.  It's not all that difficult to make something airtight, a couple of o-rings and a good clip to keep the o-rings against each other and not much will go in (basic principle of a case for an underwater camera).  Warded against magical assensing on the other hand...
Doors, vents, air con etc.... not so easy on a car....

Phreak Commandment V:

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #22 on: <08-15-11/0720:48> »
It is called Chemical Seal, isnt it?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <08-15-11/0826:38> »
Doors, vents, air con etc.... not so easy on a car....

You only need to make the smuggling compartment airtight,right?  The whole car indeed will cost quite a lot, besides as long as you have an internal combustion engine, you need air intake, otherwise you are in trouble (see diesel submarines and the invention of the snorkel).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <08-15-11/0950:25> »
+1 to CanRay

I didn't make the character a rigger of any sort, so drones are fairly out of the question for him. (snip)

OK, here's one of the places I think a lot of players miss a trick. You have to be a rigger to get the most out of a drone, but you don't have to be a rigger to use a drone. Issue command is a simple action. Pilots (and agents) and autosoft are relatively cheap. Yeah, they're "only" going to get six, maybe eight dice, but for 90% of the things you need done that's plenty.

Consider just as an example: you purchase a Dragonfly (AR 117-118). You give it two simple standing order: search your local area (say, within 10 meters) for micro- and mini-drones. If found, check list to see if already identified. If not on list, notify you (ARO).  When it finds one you give one of two commands: add to ID list, or KILL. At any time you can always use your AR to point out some of the identified drones and give a "kill these" order. (Yes, it's 12R. So only let it fly when you're actually on the run, or get a license.)

You give a short command to the drone or other device with the
Issuing Command action. The drone attempts to execute
those orders autonomously on its own action phase. You need to be
able to communicate with the drone, via the Matrix for example, but
do not need to be subscribed to the drone.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-15-11/1613:36> »
I ment Airtight for my smuggler's compartment, not the car, in addition to it being assensing proofed.

And I'll think about the drone, ti's a good idea.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Weldûn

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <09-02-11/0000:47> »
I think it depends on the intended approach to bypassing border security. If you're trying to slip through a custom's checkpoint unnoticed, then as Kirk touched on earlier, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible is key. A common model cross-border commuter vehicle, like a Gaz, with minimal modification. A shielded smuggler's compartment and nothing else would be best. Also, I would try to have a legitimate cargo to carry across, or at least have a record (true or falsified) of having delivered a cargo with your cover being that you're returning from said delivery.

Now, if you're trying to avoid the border patrols and sneak across the border, I suggest a Shin-Hyung with a Level 2 Amphibious Operation Package, Level 1 Ballast Tanks (most GM's accept that Lvl 2 Amphib allows your ground vehicle to count as watercraft. If they argue, point them to James Bond's Lotus in The Spy Who Loved Me) and Level 2 Life Support. I'd also recommend a Manual Control Override, so you can run the vehicle's electronics "off-line", rather than trying to spoof your way past automated node searches with a stealth program. I recommend the Shin-Hyung because it still gives you plenty of room for other modifications for your shadowrunning career. Then it's simply a matter of following the Green River which flows from the Cascades to Downtown Seattle. Remember that most watercraft aren't equipped to detect and trace submersibles, and this goes double for "brown water" security.
« Last Edit: <09-02-11/0931:51> by Weldûn »
Cleverly disguised as an adult.

Which I think is sort of like arguing that a partial erection should get all the benefits of an erection.

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <09-02-11/0008:37> »
What are you smuggling? If its something innocuous (meaning you probably aren't getting shot at) a motorcycle is fine. If you are getting shot at I would STRONGLY recommend something that is enclosed around the driver, bullets in the ass are a good way to ruin your day.

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #28 on: <09-15-11/1434:41> »
**Facepalm**

Accidentally posted this in the OTHER smuggler's ride thread  :-\

Erm, how about disposable?

I ran a smuggler/driver character and my first ride was a pimped out bike. The thing got wrecked after a run, I replaced it, it got wrecked AGAIN. After that, I just picked up your basic vehicle and made some quick 'n dirty mods. I had the best luck with your basic McCar, McTruck, and McVan after taking a few hours to strip out a lot of the un-necessary things (AC, heater, airbags, extra seats, spare tires....emergency brake....). Use it for a little while, strip it, and burn it.

The best smuggler vehicles are disposable.

Your nice stuff will get shot/smashed up.
In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet