NEWS

Illegal Implants

• 62 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <09-11-10/1211:18> »
What happens if the authorities MAD scan you and find out you have illegal implants like Aluminum Bone Lacing. Do you serve time, pay a fee? Do they remove it, do you get to keep it? Do they just kill you?

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-10/1237:24> »
Bone Lacing is F (I don't understand why, though), so probably, yes, they would remove it and yes, you would very likely go to jail - even carrying a Restricted (R) gun without permit can end you in jail, so there is probably no question about F-Items.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-10/1511:56> »
If you can get your hands on the old SR2 sourcebook "Sprawl Sites", there's a chapter called "Sprawl Law" with a table on fines and punishment. Bone Lacing for example would be classified as Class B Cyberware, possession of which is punished with a 20000 Nuyen fine (and probably removal of said cyberware).
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-11-10/1517:01> »
Unfortunatly, such lists tend to change with the author :-) Muscle Enhancements are also Typ B there, but only "R" in 4rd Edition. Personally, I would prefer "R" for Bone-Lacing, too, I don't see why it should be such a big deal.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-11-10/1521:06> »
If I have illegal Cyberware how do I protect myself from scans?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-11-10/1530:31> »
Get a hacker to spoof the machine. ;)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-11-10/1533:54> »
Get a hacker that inserts licences for the 'ware into your SIN. Either that or get said hacker to hack the scanner, no other way I could think of.

And regarding the list, it doesn't take R and F into account, it just cathegorizes weapons, 'ware and crimes and tells you fines and punishments for possession, use, etc. I guess when it comes to that list, R and F only tell you if its even possible to get a licence for the stuff.

rockstar

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-11-10/1603:08> »
i agree that bone lacing should be legalized (read restricted). bone density augmentation is restricted and does the same thing, but even for bioware its rediculously expensive. as far as illegal implants there are some devices in arsenal which confuse mad scanners but either than that the best bet is a good hacker or the old fashioned dont get caught with it.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-11-10/1655:27> »
I'll check out my options in Arsenal. Thanks everyone.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <09-12-10/0827:28> »
If you're running around with bone lacing, you should be so terrifying that a cop wouldn't dream of hassling you without backup from a SWAT-type cyber-hunter squad.  He might hit an alarm and run for his life, but he wouldn't try to arrest you, as that should be suicide.

One thing which I've allowed in my games to make Forbidden cyberware less of a form of character death, is I've allowed for disguise checks to be made to obfuscate their function.  For instance, you have the Aluminum for the bone lacing painted with runic symbols using wifi-inhibiting paint before it is installed.  Now the scanner doesn't know what to make of its readings.  The guard alerted by the confused scanner makes an inquiry, and you Con your way past with an "I'm from the Containment zone.  My bones are inlaid with silver to fight bug possession." or whatever lie.  There's limits to this of course, but it's better than making a character worthless because he wanted a little metal in him.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-12-10/0836:11> »
If you're running around with bone lacing, you should be so terrifying that a cop wouldn't dream of hassling you without backup from a SWAT-type cyber-hunter squad.  He might hit an alarm and run for his life, but he wouldn't try to arrest you, as that should be suicide.

We are talking here about a piece of cyberware that is a) not visible without a scanner or something like that and b) not even remotely as dangerous as, for example, a gun. Ok, the cop will perhaps need one shot more to kill you, perhaps, and IF he let's you get into reach, your punches are pretty damaging - but a steel rod and a kevler west will do the same. Somehow I think you overestimate the effect of bonelacing a little bit.

One thing which I've allowed in my games to make Forbidden cyberware less of a form of character death, is I've allowed for disguise checks to be made to obfuscate their function.  For instance, you have the Aluminum for the bone lacing painted with runic symbols using wifi-inhibiting paint before it is installed.  Now the scanner doesn't know what to make of its readings.  The guard alerted by the confused scanner makes an inquiry, and you Con your way past with an "I'm from the Containment zone.  My bones are inlaid with silver to fight bug possession." or whatever lie.  There's limits to this of course, but it's better than making a character worthless because he wanted a little metal in him.

Honestly, I would simply rule Bone Lacing being "R", as, for example, a smartlink is much more dangerous and much more active than bone lacing (which is, mainly, a kind of armor you wear inside your body). But if you have, for example, a grenade launcher installed in your cyberarm, well, then you should think about ways to prevent getting scanned by cops or something like that.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-12-10/0900:35> »
Get a licence for your ware on your fake SIN - think to give a good reason, a medical or a professionnal reason works well -, it's clearly the best, but there's too some electronic devices in the runner's companion (p.33) which can allow you to fool a MAD, though they ain't perfect.
Physical illusion spell may help, assuming you've got the advanced masking metamagic and there's no astral ward.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Wraith235

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-12-10/0943:15> »
you cant even get liscenses for "F" Items

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-12-10/1019:05> »
Might be a little difficult do explain why a bodyguard (if you even went the way of trying to logically explain why you have the stuff) needs an HMG with APDS and matching 'ware for use of it, though. And that IS gonna happen, personel checking you will get suspicious if something about you and the SIN doesnt make sense.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-12-10/1034:51> »
On the other hand, I don't really understand why the same bodyguard shouldn't have bone lacing.
Who can use bone lacing if bodyguards can not ?
This "F" rating seems a bit strange some times.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.