NEWS

Street Legends Review

• 209 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #60 on: <08-12-11/0213:22> »
"Thank you for your service.  In return, we'll have you provide more services for us.  Even after you've died."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #61 on: <08-12-11/0230:47> »
"Thank you for your service.  In return, we'll have you provide more services for us.  Even after you've died."
It's a Megacorp.... what did you expect? ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #62 on: <08-12-11/0233:14> »
Got a question about the ring though...is it supposed to be 1903 -1904 Boston Americans or 1912 the first time the Americans won the series as the Red sox?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903_World_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_World_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1912_World_Series

The 1906 series was against the Cubs and the White sox of Chicago :( sorry for being pedantic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_World_Series

Edit: Because i feel like I am being an ass for pointing this out without a reason:  We are wondering if the ring or the Delta ware would cost more.

If there's an error/joke, it's a carry over from System Failure, which is where I got the idea for the ring for.

Of course, it's been established for a while now that Shadowrun takes place not in our universe anyway, but in a parallel one. So with that in mind, it makes sense.
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <08-12-11/0236:27> »
It couldn't have been Ares. Ares didn't have cybermantic capabilities in 2056, only Fuchi (2), Aztechnology, Saeder-Krupp, Tír na nÓg clinics existed with rumors of a sixth. I always thought it was Fuchi.

Anyway, no one gave a shit about Aina Dupree until I killed her so, yeah, whatever. Her death was necessary, but hey, it's not like I've written in the past about killing storylines (and characters).

Nadja's chapter foretells certains things, and the story Rusty and I wrote helps explain how it gets there in case someone might want, oh I don't know, use material from the book in their games. It's apt that her reappearance is as logistically ... off ... as her disappearance. Almost as if it was intentional. :D

« Last Edit: <08-12-11/0254:40> by James Meiers »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #64 on: <08-12-11/0239:12> »
And Aina Dupree is?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <08-12-11/0255:03> »
An immortal elf. Harlequin's best friend. Dead.

(She was also the Vice Chair turned Acting Chair of the Draco Foundation)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #66 on: <08-12-11/0318:54> »
Doesn't ring any...

Oh, wait, wasn't she the special guest star on "Karl Kombatmage" last season for two episodes?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #67 on: <08-12-11/0656:11> »
Doesn't ring any...

Oh, wait, wasn't she the special guest star on "Karl Kombatmage" last season for two episodes?
dude?
what's wrong with you?
usually, you can rule and fluff fu with the best of them . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <08-12-11/0714:30> »
It couldn't have been Ares. Ares didn't have cybermantic capabilities in 2056, only Fuchi (2), Aztechnology, Saeder-Krupp, Tír na nÓg clinics existed with rumors of a sixth. I always thought it was Fuchi.

Anyway, no one gave a shit about Aina Dupree until I killed her so, yeah, whatever. Her death was necessary, but hey, it's not like I've written in the past about killing storylines (and characters).

Nadja's chapter foretells certains things, and the story Rusty and I wrote helps explain how it gets there in case someone might want, oh I don't know, use material from the book in their games. It's apt that her reappearance is as logistically ... off ... as her disappearance. Almost as if it was intentional. :D

I thought Universal Omnitech was a prime candidate for a cybermantic clinic.

And FYI - I gave a shit about Aina Dupree.  Cautious warm fuzzies.  Though I never got to play to find out if working for her was a viable 'career track'.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #69 on: <08-12-11/1021:03> »
dude?
what's wrong with you?
usually, you can rule and fluff fu with the best of them . .
I've been busy.  And even I can have a bad day.

I actually have quite a few of them, as a matter of fact.

This one got past me, sorry.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <08-12-11/1053:19> »
Regarding the ring: thanks for telling me about finding it in a previous supplement, that makes sense.

Regarding Dupree:

First I hope that there was some communication with Caroline Spencer concerning Dupree, she did invest three books about her.

Second: she is an important IE in shadowrun, she is the only one I have a solid place to draw on her personality and mannerisms as an NPC.  She is also a bridge for earthdawn, a game I played for four years as a youth and I bring allot of 4th age magic/lore into one of my plot lines.

Last:  do I care that she is dead, no... It is shadowrun, a universe that is full of magical and physical threats to eat your face off. People die, which I love: no one in this universe should be above the talon of death's touch.

I also want to add that I love the writing and work you do, I am a fan. I may not like every word printed, may seek clarification on things....hell I may even post a certain frustration on things. But at the end of the day I am grateful for yours and everyone else's work on expanding this shadowrun universe.
« Last Edit: <08-12-11/1813:52> by Frankie the Fomori »

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #71 on: <08-12-11/1453:53> »

It's going to be hard making him give a shit about that character, since I don't in any way shape or form give a shit about her. I will endeavor to manage.

Normally when the word 'Mary Sue' comes up I get pissed, because I think it gets overused to a pretty disgusting degree by people with a much-too-broad definition of what it means. But Aina Dupree, if it's the character I'm thinking of, is one of the worst EVER.
« Last Edit: <08-12-11/1455:51> by Neurosis »
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Smirnov

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <08-13-11/0652:19> »

It's going to be hard making him give a shit about that character, since I don't in any way shape or form give a shit about her. I will endeavor to manage.

Normally when the word 'Mary Sue' comes up I get pissed, because I think it gets overused to a pretty disgusting degree by people with a much-too-broad definition of what it means. But Aina Dupree, if it's the character I'm thinking of, is one of the worst EVER.
That's sad to read.
First of all, there are people who care about Aina. Our group for example. For ones, we have Aina as major NPC in the campaign.
Yes, Aina was a strange cookie in  an already disfunctional family that immortal elves are. But just because you try to avoid your slightly insane uncle whenever you can doesn't mean you don't love him. Especially not in the way 'since no one cares, she dies. Ha-ha!'
Secondly, Harlequin, Aina's close friend, one time lover, comrade-in-arms and one of the few people on earth (save probably the late Dunkelzahn) who took her seriously, wouldn't care about Aina? Wouldn't care about the death of one of the dozen, at most, human beings in the whole world who are on par with him? He may have had his reservations about her, but he loved her.
And I can understand that her death is part of the yet unpublished story (which must be real big as Aina is [should try using 'was'] second only to Harlequin himself in power), but the attitude towards it baffles me. If she is such unwanted child, why just don't leave her out? The death of the character of the scope Aina was is a big deal, it should serve some purpose other than just to get rid of her and make some big waves. This could as well wake other elves up. As far as I know, immortals have never previously lost one of their own.

To stop grumbling, the book itself is good and pretty. I have some issues with art for the last two chapters and Agent, but other than that art is superb.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #73 on: <08-13-11/0731:51> »
We need harlekin to go on a city killing spree untill he has found the people responsible for her death and throws them all into the horrors waiting arms.

And that Posting is basically EVERYTHING that's wrong with current writing of shadowrun.
In. One. Single. Posting.
« Last Edit: <08-13-11/0932:37> by Stahlseele »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

WARRGARRRBL!!!1!

• Newb
« Reply #74 on: <08-13-11/0801:11> »
All right, I tried to be good, I really did but I just can't take it any more.

First off, I really don't care if you stat up Lofwyr, Harlequin et al.  I'm actually on the record as being of the opinion that the system allows for sufficiently big stat's that all the 'we blew up Lofwyr with an anti tank missile' masturbatory nonsense would be demonstrably just that.  Clarification on the two stupid 'I win' buttons would have been necessary but hardly difficult.

But for the love of God, Dawkins or whatever you call out to whenever you just can't take any more of the lunacy, could you at least have legendary, iconic NPC's designed by someone that knows the frakking rules.

I've been reading this thread, and others like it elsewhere, for several days now and I've so far managed to tolerate the nauseating, self-congratulatory back-slapping and the abusive mod attacks on critics for being 'unconstructive' but Nadja just tipped me over the edge.

IMPROVED ABILITY IS CAPPED AT 3!!!!!!!

If you don't know that you've got absolutely no business being employed in a professional capacity on a project like this.  And I'm not just talking about the primary author.  That howler has passed in front of at least a dozen pairs of eyes who all ought to have that sort of knowledge as a pre-requisite of acquiring the job that they have.

@Neurosis

Not a personal criticism.  However I'm afraid your confidence in Lugh is sadly over-rated.  Have a look on Dumpshock for the Fields of Fire campaign.  it was all very silly (or cinematic if you prefer) and never went very far but all the PC's qualified as 'legendary' (1250 karma, which works out as the original base of 750 plus exactly the 500 needed to be legendary) and I'm pretty sure every single one of them would have given Lugh a run for his money and I'm certain that one or two would have wiped the floor with him.

I agree that it is fine for a character like Rigger X to be poorly optimized but it is not okay for legendary icons like Lugh, Hestaby or Lofwyr.  They can have as much fluffy window dressing as you like but at their core they must be capable of handing the PC's their asses if need be.