NEWS

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall (SPOILER WARNING!)

• 56 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #15 on: <03-04-14/2100:17> »
Nice, they're doing more!?

Kinda figured given the ending I got at least (or maybe that was just my mind going all fanboy on me), but that's awesome! Would love to see Neo-Tokyo, or Hong Kong in Shadowrun Returns.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-05-14/0217:59> »
So, I have to ask for those who completed the game: in SRR, it was pretty much to be the most effective, you needed to
pretty much be a Decker/Mage/Shaman  with high shotgun skill(because the special anti-bug rounds at the end used
shotgun skill). Is Dragonfall like that? (I felt that Street Sam was pretty much not a viable build, because you could not
kill things fast enough to not have to heal, and healing gets crazy expensive in terms of slots)

Second, do they actually have the ability to modify weapons in this one? Like, there was no point to getting a smartlink
because the only Smartgun shows up way late in the game. I would have loved the ability to have put a smartlink on any
gun I got(as that would have helped make Street Sam a viable build).

Third, do you have the ability to get heavy weapons this time around? Or is it still all pistols, SMGs, ARs, and Shotguns?

Fourth, can you pick your start equipment, or is it still picked for your?

Fifth, is there any implants that give you extra AP, or is it still that Wired Reflexes just make you move faster and harder to hit?
(Seriously..I found having someone who could put Haste on your Street Sam while you hung back healing and nuking was
practically essential!)

Sixth, do enemies still come in groups of 4?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-05-14/0444:02> »
So, I have to ask for those who completed the game: in SRR, it was pretty much to be the most effective, you needed to
pretty much be a Decker/Mage/Shaman  with high shotgun skill(because the special anti-bug rounds at the end used
shotgun skill). Is Dragonfall like that? (I felt that Street Sam was pretty much not a viable build, because you could not
kill things fast enough to not have to heal, and healing gets crazy expensive in terms of slots)
You autoheal the last injury when combat ends, playing through normal as a face/decker/rigger (with that priority distro) I had some close calls, particularly on the last mission, but I didn't have real issues. and didn't need a mage/shaman

Second, do they actually have the ability to modify weapons in this one? Like, there was no point to getting a smartlink
because the only Smartgun shows up way late in the game. I would have loved the ability to have put a smartlink on any
gun I got(as that would have helped make Street Sam a viable build).
no gun mods, but there are a LOT more guns with smatlink, pretty much every model gun has a smartlinked variant

Third, do you have the ability to get heavy weapons this time around? Or is it still all pistols, SMGs, ARs, and Shotguns?
No heavy weapons, but there are now sniper rifles that are more accurate the further away from your target you are.

Fourth, can you pick your start equipment, or is it still picked for your?
Nope, sorry.

Fifth, is there any implants that give you extra AP, or is it still that Wired Reflexes just make you move faster and harder to hit?
(Seriously..I found having someone who could put Haste on your Street Sam while you hung back healing and nuking was
practically essential!)
I think there are two different wares that increase AP, I know for sure that there is one as one of your party member has it.

Sixth, do enemies still come in groups of 4?
Nope, I had 6-8 or more enemies on screen at a time; multiple times
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <03-05-14/0509:54> »
I did a melee based Elf adept for Dragonfall, but he was built part face, as I also spent a bunch of Karma on getting Charisma up. I wasn't overly impressed by the damage I was doing compared to the ork and her sniper rifle, but it could come Down to the way I spent Karma in the end.

Overall I found it worth the money, but I will have to try and do a rigger/Decker build because of the dialogue options that I missed out on.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #19 on: <03-05-14/0642:31> »
Now I'm curious as to how this ties into
[spoiler]the entry on her Pegasus added to the German translation of Street Legends.[/spoiler]

I might be wrong but I think the German version of Street Legends has extra entries for [spoiler]Nebelherr and Kaltenstein, but nothing on Feuershwinge.[/spoiler]
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

JD

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <03-05-14/0739:48> »
It was fun, although the narrative was straight as a laser beam the whole way through, except for this one mission only retarded psycopaths would ever choose to accept. Still, I enjoyed it a lot, and it definitely succeeds in bringing a location and a bunch of NPCs to life.

I had no problems as a street sam. I did go for high CHA, because it opens up a lot of options in the early phases, other than that, it's just a matter of choosing a type of firearm and sticking with it, getting wired up and bringing along a shaman and a decker for the things you can't do on your own, and a second hard hitter to kill things. Oh, and accept that there are things you can't do - not to worry, the plot won't grind to a halt.

Don't ignore the stun grenades. While the exact effects are pretty much unpredictable, because there's no way to tell how many APs each bad guy has (that I know of), the effect on the opposition can be devastating. Regular grenades are less powerful.

One major gripe, which ties in with the absolute lack of choice along the way: once you leave a location by U-bahn, you cannot go back! So if you realise later that you overlooked something, there's no way to go back except to rewind the game. Annoying.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the game, and it's a great way to while away the time between real life RPG sessions.
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #21 on: <03-05-14/0801:35> »
If you want to go for pure combat power, the answer really is go Rigger.  A rigger can turn 1 AP into a full extra character who doesn't reload and has 4 AP.  Grab the second S-rank drone and now you have someone with like four -AP grenades and a first aid kit - again for the cost of a single AP.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-05-14/0854:03> »
A quick note on the heavy weapon thing: you eventually unlock a vindicator minigun.  It uses the rifle skill, but...MINIGUN!  ;D (Str 7, Ranged 8 prereqs, iirc, so plan accordingly)

I went with an elf street sam and had no problems in terms of game play.  I was always a little disappointed with Eiger's performance, so I played the heavy hitter.  Mage buffing the Sam is still very effective.

Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-05-14/1211:13> »
Playing a human character, I mostly donated to Beckenbauer out of spite: "So you don't like humans? Well, I guess your charity now has the name of one on its building! Muhaha!"

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-05-14/1300:43> »
Now I'm curious as to how this ties into
[spoiler]the entry on her Pegasus added to the German translation of Street Legends.[/spoiler]

I might be wrong but I think the German version of Street Legends has extra entries for [spoiler]Nebelherr and Kaltenstein, but nothing on Feuershwinge.[/spoiler]

That's right. I was confused.

[spoiler]I was thinking about how they touch on Feuershwinge's demise.[/spoiler]

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <03-05-14/1314:13> »
I don't know much about SR before 4th edition.

Isn't Clockwork a hobgoblin rigger? and a jerk ,too.

But in Dragonfall, Clockwork is a decker and seen a decent dude.

They are not the same clockwork?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #26 on: <03-05-14/1354:29> »
I don't know much about SR before 4th edition.

Isn't Clockwork a hobgoblin rigger? and a jerk ,too.

But in Dragonfall, Clockwork is a decker and seen a decent dude.

They are not the same clockwork?

Copy-pasting what I wrote on the shadowrun.com forums earlier today: I don't think the Clockwork from Dragonfall is the Clockwork we see on Jackpoint in recent books. The Jackpoint Clockwork is a hobgoblin rigger. Being at the top of his game in the 2070s, he cannot be more than 30-35 years old. So if he's supposed tobe the same guy, he would have been 10-15 y.o. during the events of Dragonfall...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-05-14/1430:30> »
[spoiler]
Also, it seems like the Clockwork in DF doesn't make it to the end.
[/spoiler]
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <03-05-14/1622:15> »
It was fun, although the narrative was straight as a laser beam the whole way through, except for this one mission only retarded psycopaths would ever choose to accept. Still, I enjoyed it a lot, and it definitely succeeds in bringing a location and a bunch of NPCs to life.
One major gripe, which ties in with the absolute lack of choice along the way: once you leave a location by U-bahn, you cannot go back! So if you realise later that you overlooked something, there's no way to go back except to rewind the game. Annoying.

I disagree here, there are a lot of branches through missions and the overall plot.

Major spoilers:
[spoiler]
I assume you are talking about the wet work "cleanup" for the only branching mission, I haven't played that one yet, as it went against the character I beat the game with for my first go through (working on my second now) But here are some examples in branching plot and moral dilemmas given to you.
  • What your teammates decide to do at the end is directly decided by your conversations throughout the game
  • You can completely miss out on the decker/rigger NPC depending on your choices
  • whether you help certain NPCs or not, including your runner's nephew
  • How you resolve the sewers issue has ramifications later in the game IIRC
  • Missions are easier or harder based on how you progress through them (my character was often able to delay or reduce the number of enimies in a mission even when she didn't avoid them all together)
  • the Mark VI prototype; depending on your skills and who you bring along, you have 3(4) choices {send it to original johnson, send it to other johnson, kill it (free it to kill itself) -- each with their own moral ramifications and post mission conversation text}
  • The AI, you have the choice of freeing it or killing it, this has ramifications in the next mission, gives you another end-game option, and has dialogue at the end of the game based on your choice; I believe you also have the option of doing nothing and assaulting the mission while the AI is very much alive and actively defending it
  • The bloodlines mission has you deciding what you do with the research afterwards, along with whether or not you let the clones out (also with conversation based on your decisions)
  • There are 3 distinct endings
    • convince firewing to rejoin and heal herself
    • Give the AI take over Firewing's body
    • say F--- it all and kill the dragon or blow up the mansion
    • each one has distinctly different dialogue at the end and one specific set of choices gives you an extra text chunk right before the credits roll (but after the train conversation)
  • I have not confirmed this yet, but it looks like you can join humanis given the options.
[/spoiler]
That's what I remember off the top of my head, which is quite a bit considering the length.

Also I think it makes sense that you can't go back after you start with most of the missions because you are given the impression of a time crunch.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <03-05-14/2038:18> »
Fragging tasers.   >:(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11