NEWS

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall (SPOILER WARNING!)

• 56 Replies

martinchaen

« on: <03-03-14/1156:43> »
So, I'm almost at the end of Dragonfall, and so far, I've enjoyed every second of it.

This feels like the Shadowrun I know and love from the tabletop format. You've got intrigue, actual characters, job selection, and choices with consequences. I think the devs did an awesome job in integrating fantastic themes from Berlin and the Sixth World in general.

[spoiler=Seriously, spoilers...]
When the first mention of Feuerschwinge was made, I literally got chills. All I could think was "Oooooooh, shit, I knew it was called Dragonfall, but damn!".

The inclusion of Aztechnology, the SOX (saw that one coming a mile away, but still cool!), and all those little easter eggs was amazing :)
[/spoiler]

Can't wait to go home this afternoon and finish up the end game.

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <03-03-14/1251:09> »
Just finish it today.

The last run is awesome and the ending is very cool.

end game spoiler
[spoiler]The true motive of Feuerschwinge, why she was go rampage on 2012.
I didn't believe myself to feel sympathy for great dragon in shadowrun (I ever help her escape!).
The last convo with THE BIG L is awesome,too.
My character not just deal with a dragon but two dragons! [/spoiler]

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-03-14/1339:01> »
Agreed.  I just beat the game last night and I started a second play through as a different character.  It was very well written and I can't wait until the next campaign comes out.  I only hope Shadowrun Online has plotlines as good as SRR
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-03-14/1347:16> »
I'm really enjoying it--it's much smoother and less linear than the first one.  I really like that it seems to have more replay value since you can go through making kinder/jerkier decisions.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-03-14/1444:01> »
I'm really enjoying it--it's much smoother and less linear than the first one.  I really like that it seems to have more replay value since you can go through making kinder/jerkier decisions.

To add onto this:  Without spoiling anything there are also some serious moral dilemmas to handle as well.  I found at least 4 missions that have 2-3 endings based on your choices.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-03-14/1849:05> »
I'm sad because Michael's playing the DRM-free version which, unlike my Steam version, seems to have a bug in the Prototype mission where you can repeatedly complete an optional objective without any effort for massive Karma. :(

martinchaen

« Reply #6 on: <03-03-14/1918:11> »
ZeConster
If you want to make an über-character, I might suggest Cheat Engine (or indeed any hex/memory bank editor capable of searching for discreet values). :D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <03-03-14/2013:20> »
Not a spoiler, but a complaint...

F***ING TASERS!!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-03-14/2026:10> »
Not a spoiler, but a complaint...

F***ING TASERS!!!

I'd say that's accurate: Electric a Damage has always been absurdly badass. XP
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-03-14/2157:56> »
ZeConster
If you want to make an über-character, I might suggest Cheat Engine (or indeed any hex/memory bank editor capable of searching for discreet values). :D
There's a debug mode with the option to manually give yourself Karma, actually, but it's not as fun as exploiting a bug.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-04-14/0210:39> »
Does it use any of the save data from your other game? Or..do yous tart completely fresh with a new runner who has to build
up gear and skills from the bottom?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-04-14/0330:31> »
Does it use any of the save data from your other game? Or..do yous tart completely fresh with a new runner who has to build
up gear and skills from the bottom?

Fresh runner.

Inside my Spoilers tag has some information about the conversation triggers and differences, I'll try not to spoil any actual plot. 
[spoiler]
There are a lot more ways to complete missions than in SRR (including moral dilemmas)
the Shadowrunner Etiquette is never used as far as I can find
Your conversations with teammates are important and people will react to how you choose to finish missions (though the severity depends on the mission)
The gang etiquette is used a bunch, as is Decking and Biotech
Speaking of Decking, there is a lot you can do as a decker in this campaign.
Drone Rigging also has a few nice options outside of combat
There are a bunch of times that if you have spellcasting or summoning you can "open your third eye" and peer at a person's aura.  Except in a very few cases, they are hidden unless you have the skills.
Due to the Decker/Spellcasting options that are present you are likely to want to play at least twice to see everything.
[/spoiler]

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-04-14/1353:43> »
Just finish it today.

The last run is awesome and the ending is very cool.

end game spoiler
[spoiler]The true motive of Feuerschwinge, why she was go rampage on 2012.
I didn't believe myself to feel sympathy for great dragon in shadowrun (I ever help her escape!).
The last convo with THE BIG L is awesome,too.
My character not just deal with a dragon but two dragons! [/spoiler]

Now I'm curious as to how this ties into
[spoiler]the entry on her Pegasus added to the German translation of Street Legends.[/spoiler]

martinchaen

« Reply #13 on: <03-04-14/1933:04> »
Aaaah, now I can finally go ahead and read those spoilers :D

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #14 on: <03-04-14/2040:59> »
Had a BLAST.  My favorite part was actually the little touches on your character improving your neighborhood and helping it band together and such.  I'd legit play a campaign based entirely around that sorta thing.

A cheat sheet for those who want to maximize their dialogue options - note that NPCs can help with some of these (Hint: Rigger/decker/face gets the most, Dragonfall is a very tech based campaign)

[spoiler]Will 4 is a fairly important one late game (plus Will is always good)
A few scattered strength checks; you should always have an NPC on hand who can help you with these
A few scattered Intelligence checks; I don't think NPCs can help you with these.
Only one or two spellcasting ones. They can go pretty high though.
LOTS of decking. NPC can handle most of these...but not all.
Lots of biotech. NPCs cannot assist you on most of these, from what I saw.
A good number of Drone Control. There aren't really any good NPC riggers.
Plenty of charisma checks, though a few of these can be done with etiquettes instead.
Etiquettes: Gang, Security, and Corporate come up the most, I think. One or two Academic, I think only one Society[/spoiler]

Most of these are for pure fluff and dialogue options, not just getting a few extra nuyen or whatever.  But frankly, more fluff is always better!

There's been some questions as to what's next.  If I recall, the poll they did had Hong Kong going very high, and since Hong Kong is somewhat magically oriented with Wuxing and the like thirty ley lines that connect there, a more magic based campaign opposed to Dragonfall's very tech based could be cool.