NEWS

Cutting Black

• 57 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« on: <01-17-20/2203:05> »
Cutting Black PDF is now available for sale with a street date of 02/12/2020!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/300822/Shadowrun-Cutting-Black-Plot-Sourcebook?src=newest_recent
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-17-20/2343:26> »
Already enjoying the changes I am seeing to the universe. Now to figure out how to use it going forward!
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-18-20/0159:42> »
*thread watching intensifies*

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <01-18-20/0626:41> »
WHAT DO YOU MEAN VOGEL AND KNIGHT <CENSORED>?!?! O____O HOLY FRAGFACE!

Sea Dragon needs to die. -_- Not because of her politics, but because of what she pulled in Free Seattle (the adventure).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-18-20/1655:57> »
WHAT DO YOU MEAN VOGEL AND KNIGHT <CENSORED>?!?! O____O HOLY FRAGFACE!

Sea Dragon needs to die. -_- Not because of her politics, but because of what she pulled in Free Seattle (the adventure).

Indeed! Well all dragons need to die as far as one of my groups believe with Ghostwalker on the top of that list. Regardless of what the computer game Dragonfall tries to insinuate...

That said, have you got to the part where Ellis gives the big reveal?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <01-18-20/1822:01> »
Nope, been too busy to read much. Holy frag. O_O
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <01-18-20/1932:17> »
I don't know what any of it means yet, but ... my complaint about Market Panic was that it was too static feeling, and too hard to roll into runs.  I have to say that is VERY much not the case here! 

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-19-20/0953:59> »
Yeah, this is the bridge that finishes off 5th edition and rolls us into 6th, setting up things for years to come.

There are some bigtime shake-ups in here.

Dangit, no it's in my head.

Shake shake shake, Senora!
Shake your body line
Shake shake shake Senora!
Shake it all the time

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-20/1034:42> »
Quick question,  two data havens participate in discussions in Cutting Black that I'm not familiar with: Asgard (listed in the English wiki as defunct),  and Frozen Shadows (not listed in the wiki).

Anyone know where these are based, and where I might find out more about them?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-19-20/1126:42> »
Not certain. Liberty Belle's board in Philly I've used before, and I know at least one of the others is from Canada, but after that, I'm not certain. Since stuff was happening all over and reports were flooding in, we were using tons of Shadowland and similar posts instead of just JackPoint. I'd have to ask around, see who pulled in what beyond that. It was nice seeing the style again tho!

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-19-20/1301:33> »
One of the frozen shadows people mentioned Detroit being uncomfortably close, so my guess for them would be Toronto, which seemed like it could be interesting come 30 Nights...  but would love confirmation.

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-20/1825:23> »
I wasn't impressed from the preview, but from what I head on other boards its not quite as world shaking as it first makes you believe.

So whats the verdict for now?

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <01-19-20/2059:03> »
I wasn't impressed from the preview, but from what I head on other boards its not quite as world shaking as it first makes you believe.

I am enjoying it and looking forward to incorporating it into my campaigns and playing through it in others. Yes some cities get hit really hard but it's not difficult to prevent PCs from being impacted unless the player is willing to play along with it and while those cities face issues, there are things that mitigate it. In many ways Boston was far worse for far longer.

At the end of the day, it comes down to preferences and whether the GM and the players are willing to do some prep work in the case of the former and possible discussion in the case of the latter if they are interested in being affected by the events. Which likely would take less than a half hour to figure out in total for both.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-20/2202:28> »
I would say that Cutting Black could be a disruptive for those with ongoing campaigns that ar attached to particular settings and playstyles, as it does do a bit of a yank the tablecloth off the table sort of scene change.  On the other hand a new campaign set afterwards would have a lot of new material to work with, and ongoing campaigns that are happy to change things up have some interesting options here.

For myself, it is a breath of 'fresh' air (for some value of fresh that comes laced with traces of gunpowder and formic acid)

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <01-20-20/1336:28> »

I am enjoying it and looking forward to incorporating it into my campaigns and playing through it in others. Yes some cities get hit really hard but it's not difficult to prevent PCs from being impacted unless the player is willing to play along with it and while those cities face issues, there are things that mitigate it. In many ways Boston was far worse for far longer.

At the end of the day, it comes down to preferences and whether the GM and the players are willing to do some prep work in the case of the former and possible discussion in the case of the latter if they are interested in being affected by the events. Which likely would take less than a half hour to figure out in total for both.

My main "wtf" from reading the preview and review was the repeal of the Business Recognition Accord as corporates being able to do what they want with nations playing second fiddle is for me a core concept of cyberpunk settings. But from what I read that gets "resolved" in the book.