NEWS

Ammo question

• 10 Replies

Inconnu

• Omae
« on: <01-04-13/2017:19> »
If you're going to use uranium bullets, why use depleted uranium? Just slap shielding on the gun and on the clips.
I now feel epic.

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-04-13/2047:43> »
Your gun is now the size of two trolls put together.

D-38 is a byproduct of enriched uranium. U-238 (natural uranium) is 99.38% (I think, fact check but I know I'm close) uranium. D-38 is only .2-.4% uranium. Much less. Even at that level prolonged exposure causes cancer. ANY exposure to U-238 directly will usually kill you.

Nice try though!

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-13/2051:27> »
Isn't the point of exposing people to ammo killing them? ;)

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-04-13/2115:24> »
Lol. I meant exposing yourself, the ammo bearer. The lining for your gun to prevent exposure would be enormous.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <01-04-13/2127:51> »
Isn't the point of exposing people to ammo killing them? ;)
From what I understand, wounding them is considered superior.  Takes three men instead of one.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-04-13/2135:03> »
CanRay: IF your force commits men to recovering the wounded then yes. If not, then no tactical advantage is gained. Psychological advantage maybe though.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-13/2157:10> »
If you're going to use uranium bullets, why use depleted uranium? Just slap shielding on the gun and on the clips.
I now feel epic.
The main reason depleted uranium is used in military contexts that it's self-sharping and pyrophoric. It pieces armor because it's dense and doesn't spread on impact. Then it catches on fire which is a big deal in enclosed spaces. It just happens to be the byproduct of enriching uranium.

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-04-13/2216:19> »
Well, yes, so is U-238 pyrophoric. But you are correct on why Depleted Uranium is used. It is use in an anti-vehicle capacity.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #8 on: <01-05-13/0046:50> »
CanRay: IF your force commits men to recovering the wounded then yes. If not, then no tactical advantage is gained. Psychological advantage maybe though.
Felt that didn't need to be said.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ted Fast

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-05-13/0828:52> »
The main reason depleted uranium is used in military contexts that it's self-sharping and pyrophoric. It pieces armor because it's dense and doesn't spread on impact. Then it catches on fire which is a big deal in enclosed spaces. It just happens to be the byproduct of enriching uranium.
Am I the only one that wanna make some depleted uranium flechette shot gun rounds for your char after reading this? (I guess that rules wise they would be AP flechettes but what ever.)

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-05-13/1047:48> »
What I meant, CanRay, is that current tactics dictate that nobody goes to recover the wounded until the fight ends. This is to prevent exactly what you said, see Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. We do learn from our mistakes...most of the time.