NEWS

Another pistol thread...

• 41 Replies

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #15 on: <02-21-12/0543:54> »
Hmmm, what about a sawed-off Panther assault canon? Would that classify as a pistol?

Rasmus  8)
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #16 on: <02-21-12/0939:09> »
Hmmm, what about a sawed-off Panther assault canon? Would that classify as a pistol?

Rasmus  8)

Maybe if you're a troll...
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <02-21-12/1008:46> »

Maybe if you're a troll...

Nah, it's at least the size of a sawed-off shotgun on 'em.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

DoomerEX

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <02-21-12/1132:35> »
High Power chambering is pretty good for pistol users, it lets you do some more damage and if your GM doesn't rule you need Restricted Gear for each 10 rounds of High Power then you could slap it on two guns of the same class and only need to buy RG once.

Millenia

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <02-21-12/1240:44> »
High Power chambering is pretty good for pistol users, it lets you do some more damage and if your GM doesn't rule you need Restricted Gear for each 10 rounds of High Power then you could slap it on two guns of the same class and only need to buy RG once.

I'm already using ex-ex ammo, what is the benefit of using high powered rounds?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-21-12/1254:39> »
They are not, in general, worth it. HP is a two-slot weapon mod that lets you fire HP rounds. They are +2 DV/-1 AP, so +1 DV better than Ex-Ex. However, you get -2 to hit when firing them. If you are so good that you can hit all the time even with -2, then they are on average 1/3 of a DV better. I'm not a big fan - I'd rather use SnS ammo on live targets, and Antitank rounds on drones and vehicles (where you care more about beating their armor than anything else).

Crash_00

« Reply #21 on: <02-21-12/1338:24> »
It really just depends on what kind of game you're playing. If the game uses dice pool caps, I like them toward the end of the cap. Once I've used up my +4/-4 and am hitting regularly, another -2 for 1 isn't that bad of a tradeoff. Especially on an assassin/infiltration weapon where I should be able to fire on an unknowing target (all hits = extra damage) and aim to my heart's content.

For some reason I thought High Power rounds added to recoil as well, but I guess I just imagined that. Personally I think a +1 recoil per round (including the first) would be much better than a static -2penalty. Then again, I like guns and lining up a .357 with .38 rounds isn't any harder really, it's the follow up shots that are harder.

I guess technically the AP Flechette's are almost always going to be better.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-21-12/1343:02> »
Yeah, I mean, I can imagine niche situations, like a guy who has 26 dice in pistols but a dice cap of 20, where the HP rounds are worth it. But that's very niche. Another use is Adepts with Adept Centering and a relatively high initiate grade, because they can Center away that penalty.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #23 on: <02-23-12/0243:04> »
Also remember that once you mod a weapon for High Power rounds, that's all it can use from then on.

No Ex-Ex, no stick n shock, no gel rounds, etc.

-k

Crash_00

« Reply #24 on: <02-23-12/0307:01> »
Ya, but as a pistol user, carrying multiple guns for different ammo loads isn't that big of a deal.

A High Power Hatamoto or Warhawk makes for a very High Damage weapon to fire through barriers with, and the Funuki makes a wonderful S-n-S weapon.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <02-27-12/0959:20> »
I dont see why any one would want to use HP ammo, it requires a special mod on the gun and gives the mentioned -2 to shooting pool, while only having -1 Ap over armor piercing fletchette  that goes against impact armor witch on most opponent is likely to be more then 1 point lower then ballistic.*
And if your gm allows it, using APF round on Ares Viper gives you a burst capable gun with damage code of 8P -AP.
Or even better is loading a Super Warhawk with them for the epic damage code of 8P -2AP.

*This is why i much prefer my own version of the similar gun mod
[spoiler]Higher Caliber
Gun is modified to fire higher caliber bullets then it normally does, this gives the gun +1 to DV.
Ammo capacity is reduced by 25%(round up)
2 10 shop Weapon price + 2500¥ 10R[/spoiler]
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-27-12/1502:01> »
Or even better is loading a Super Warhawk with them for the epic damage code of 8P -2AP.
I'm pretty sure that the Super Warhawk is a production model of a higher caliber Warhawk.   So if you allow that, then you should allow making a higher caliber of a higher caliber... Eventually, you get this monstrously huge single shot weapon that does a lot of damage.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-27-12/1514:29> »
I'm pretty sure that the Super Warhawk is a production model of a higher caliber Warhawk.   So if you allow that, then you should allow making a higher caliber of a higher caliber... Eventually, you get this monstrously huge single shot weapon that does a lot of damage.
Whut, what does that have to do with anything.
I was talking about loading the super warhawk with Armor Piercing Fletchette ammo(witch is pretty much better then High Power Ammo and doesn't require a special mod to the gun)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #28 on: <02-29-12/0043:15> »
All this makes me think of Mechwarrior's Sternsnacht pistol. .60+ caliber round, tiny clip and bulldrek for range.

snowRaven

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <03-01-12/1806:06> »
Forgive me if this was mentioned above, but:

If your GM has the Runner's Black Book, I suggest the Izom Armaments RP-63A - an SA/BF capable heavy pistol with 25(c), sound or thermal suppressor, powered slide mount(1), flashlight or lasersight, and a bargain at 5,100 nuyen. No internal RC, but some mods to it and suitable work-arounds and you can be blasting off 4 bursts a rounds 4 rounds before reloading...  8)