NEWS

Ally Spirit in a Drone

• 15 Replies

gunther

• Newb
« on: <03-28-15/0545:58> »
Hi, i am thinking about my beloved troll mage again.
By now he has a roto-drone with good autosofts, i know its not efficient, but its really stylish and fun. And it hasnt any Karma-Costs included, i got a rigger/mechanics contact alongside for repairing.

Now i read up on ally spirits. They are really expensive and stuff, but again..the style!

So, am i having this right:
Initiation required, 13 Karma + 3 for arcana                                   16 Karma , missing out on centering
Force 3 Spirit of (whatwouldbethebest?) binding as ally-spirit: 24 Karma
Additional Spells that rock...?                                                               5-x Karma

Now the Spirit and the Drone would buff it out, with a nearly 100% Flesh form result, since the drone will roll about 15+ dice, the spirit 6. Hybrid would be cool too, but would require an incredible high karma cost. Spirit force 7, 56 Karma^^

But flesh form still means i´d have a drone with a force 3 spirit in it, with endless services. Its aura is masked and its immune to normal weapons, effectivly making a drone quite tanky. Especially if it has reinforce or something fancy...

So, its a really big investment, 30+ Karma from now, but then he got 13 in 2 weeks, so its not impossible.

Now tell me why my spirit friend drone sucks balls. before i go for it^^

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-28-15/0742:04> »
Inhabitation is an insect power, not a PC power.

gunther

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-28-15/0756:04> »
oh, didnt get that by searching the grimoire..just said that ally spirits use one of three "methods", i thought i was free to decide. Since theres also a great deal of stuff about vessel preparing. All for npc?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-15/1122:51> »
I believe vessel prep helps with possession.

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <03-28-15/1216:13> »
Inhabitation is an insect power, not a PC power.

You totally can create an Ally Spirit with the Inhabitation power. People will think you've gone insane, but you can do it.

gunther

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-28-15/1256:30> »
Well, he might be a little insane. but not insect-spirit insane...

Typical case of just reading the mentioned pages without context. Nothing seemed to be insectish about all that and i begann to ask myself why not many more people got their ally spirit in something nice...

Ah, My troll mage is cool as he is, gonna get some nice spells and initiate for centering. Bind some foci. Not bind some insect...

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <03-28-15/1307:27> »
I made a thread a while back about a similar concept (though it was an Inhabited motor cycle).  Here it is.  There's a lot of odd questions as to how the crap certain things work.  It's a tiny thread but it's useful as a list of what to keep in mind.  There's already been an answer for Hardened Armor and normal armor stacking, btw (AP reduces hardened armor first, reducing the auto-hits, and you still do stun damage if it's more DV than the hardened armor but less than the total).  I think that's what the ruling was anyways.

I don't think it's considered unethical to use Inhabitation on an inanimate object (strange, perhaps, but not totally unethical).  Using it on an organic creature gets closer to "what the frag, man" but I'm sure a lot of people would see a big enough divide between sacrificing a housecat or maybe like a hellhound and an actual metahuman.  Unethical?  Sure, but not on the level of body-snatching.

Most people don't have their ally spirit in something nice because most people don't have ally spirits.  They're very difficult to create/acquire, and require a lot of power (karma).  Not to mention, for a lot of traditions, an ally spirit would not just be seen as an eternally bound spirit made by you.  In Shamanism, there's likely a lot of religious significance and ritual to what I'm sure would be seen as your totem granting you the honor of having a more direct spirit guide and guardian.

Hermeticism and Qaballism are likely the ones that'd make their ally have Inhabitation.  They are logical and scientific enough to not really see it as something sacrilegious and the latter it could even make sense as an extension of possession.  I'd imagine the iconic clay golem would be considered Inhabitation.
« Last Edit: <03-28-15/1312:36> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <03-28-15/1427:31> »

I don't think it's considered unethical to use Inhabitation on an inanimate object (strange, perhaps, but not totally unethical).  Using it on an organic creature gets closer to "what the frag, man" but I'm sure a lot of people would see a big enough divide between sacrificing a housecat or maybe like a hellhound and an actual metahuman.  Unethical?  Sure, but not on the level of body-snatching.

As I recall (away from books) inhabitation requires a living vessel whose "soul" is destroyed in the merge with the spirit. Possession of an inanimate object is possible however.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

8-bit

« Reply #8 on: <03-28-15/1527:39> »

As I recall (away from books) inhabitation requires a living vessel whose "soul" is destroyed in the merge with the spirit. Possession of an inanimate object is possible however.

Actually, you can.

Quote from: Street Grimoire; page 196
To inhabit a vessel, a spirit requires a prepared vessel (p. 135) in a magical lodge with a Force at least equal to the spirit’s Force. Once the vessel has been enchanted, the spirit may use Inhabitation on it. The Inhabitation process takes a number of days equal to the spirit’s Force. At the end of that period, the spirit makes an Opposed Test using its Force x 2 against the vessel’s Willpower + Intuition. The spirit’s conjurer (if any) may influence the result by adding his Binding skill to either dice pool. If the spirit is attempting to inhabit a nonliving vessel, the spirit rolls Force x 2 against the vessel’s Object Resistance dice pool (p. 295, SR5). The number of net hits determines the resulting form. If the spirit gets a critical glitch, the merge is unsuccessful, and the vessel is immune to further inhabitation attempts by that spirit.

So, the only difference between Possession and Inhabitation is that Possession is more temporary (it can jump between vessels), while Inhabitation ties the spirit to the vessel until it is banished or the vessel is destroyed.

gunther

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <03-28-15/1904:54> »
So, it would work...

And would all the ally spirit rules still work with flesh form? Would a drone be avle to fire its guns with pilot+autosoft and cast all the spells i gave it too? Or would it only gain explicitly what flesh form states?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-28-15/2052:10> »
Of course you could use a Guardian Spirit base with Gunnery Skills...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #11 on: <03-29-15/0237:19> »
Might as well name it "Montgomery", because it's almost always going to be stuck sitting by Wards. :p

gunther

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <03-29-15/0400:31> »
Yeah, seems like the concept has some holes...

*Really* expensive, very situational use. Would be a killer rp-accessory though when he is stalking the barrens alone...
So if this char ever gets to the point where he got 50 karma to spent and nothing better to do i´mma get me a spirit in this drek drone :)

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #13 on: <03-29-15/1417:22> »
Might as well name it "Montgomery", because it's almost always going to be stuck sitting by Wards. :p

Not really, you can pass through wards.  Any literally every spirit or ally spirit would have to deal with it, too.  They can pass through wards the same way you can.

But yeah, the nuyen cost is absolutely crazy since you need lots of high-class regeants.  The result would be , if the Force of the spirit is even moderately high, a total powerhouse in combat and a very useful ally, though.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-29-15/2152:56> »
I told one of my players about this as he regularly likes to break games... his response was a wincing "no... just noooo" to which I was rather amused.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor