NEWS

Alphaware Cyberarm with Cyberdeck

• 5 Replies

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« on: <09-16-13/1354:15> »
I was looking over a friend's first Shadowrun 5 character a moment ago to help him get ready for a missions-game, and had the misfortune of noticing some flaws in his build which is going to cost him.

Specifically, he had a cyberarm with all sorts of goodies, including a cyberdeck. He also made it alphaware, because he wanted to stay above 5 essence (because adept) and had some other piece of chrome in his skull. According to him, this would cost him 3k for an alphaware cyberarm, but I noted that, if a cyberarm is alphaware, all accessories and addons must also be alphaware.

Naturally, this would set him back a great deal more then he wanted, but the point which we both wondered about was the cyberdeck. It costs 5k+cyberdeck cost. The question is, is that whole cost multiplied, or just the 5k part to make it into cyberware?

I'd think that having to pay 20% markup on the actual cyberdeck would be rather excessive, and it's also not quite logical (the cyberdeck itself is still the same item; it's the bit that connects it to the arm that has to be improved). However, a strict reading would say that the cost of the item, as in the whole 5k+cyberdeck, is the part that gets multiplied, which results in a massive 70k markup for the alphaware.

Since this is a missions character, it has to be rules-legal. What do you think would be the rule in this case?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-13/1402:31> »
The current reading for Missions is that the Cyberdeck is NOT effected by grade modifiers. This means you can't get a Cyberdeck for "Used Ware" prices and availability, but it also means that you don't have to pay Alpha mark ups for it. The Slot is affected, but not the deck itself.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-13/1441:42> »
Ah, it's already been answered? I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, thanks for the swift answer. You made someone a very happy decker!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-16-13/1444:01> »
I believe it's over in the Mission's FAQ thread.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-16-13/1739:36> »
I can't find a thing on cyberdecks or cyberware from Bull in the five topics of the Missions forum, nor with the search function elsewhere. If he made any statements on it, they likely were made at DumpShock.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <09-19-13/2250:52> »
Bull posted the following today:

When you're installing a commlink or cyberdeck, only the cyberware portion is subject to the grade markup/markdowns.  The cost for the cyberdeck or commlink is seperate and doesn't change.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!