NEWS

Distance strike and other tidbits in 5th?

• 2 Replies

Mathan

• Newb
« on: <08-08-18/0652:08> »
So long story short, I've been out of the game for a while and I'm currently updating some of my old characters while making plans to get the books I could not or did not before.

I haven't seen anything past... I think Howling Shadows was the last one to come out that I got. As such I wanted to ask about a few things, in particular, Distance strike.

Outside of a random page with some mention of Denver attached to it, I haven't seen it in 5th yet. Nor have I seen anything to subsequently fix/buff Technomancers, rules to help customize decks beyond simply popping in a module, or anything more to help give faces a better edge.

I guess what I'm asking is if there are any current resources that help shore any of these things up in the newer books, or if anything coming down the pipeline will cover these things in detail. As the title implies I am particularly interested in distance strike. I've done a house rule of it and a weapon focus variant for a while now. But it would be nice to see something official come of it, or other things get some more love in the current edition.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-08-18/0936:13> »
You can (and often have to) do a lot of things with houserules. Distance Strike, f.i., should be pretty easy to adapt from 4th Edition. As far as I remember the power, you can just copy the description and it would work just as well in 5th Edition. With the Buff to Melee Damage, you can even keep the relatively high PP cost.

TMs were in sorry state right until recently, with a very low power level (as long as you donīt abuse the hell out of Sprites) and only a fringe section of the generally underwhelming Matrix SupplementData Trails dedicatet to them. However, the official Errata for the Core Rulebook contains a huge buff for Technos in the Form of adjusted Priorities at Chargen and reduced Drain Fading Values for Complex Forms. Most importantly, the second (I dare to say, "the real") Matrix Supplement Kill Code will hit the shelves soon - and from what Iīve heard so far, it seems to be really really really good, including a huge Technomancer section.
« Last Edit: <08-08-18/0939:05> by Finstersang »

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-18/0606:45> »
Heh thanks for the reply.

I admit I love me some houserules. And I'm fine giving characters distance strike and my variant for magic weapons, distance slash. I just always feel a lil hit of catharsis when things like that get moved up to the rules properly.

Also much thanks on letting me know about the Errata! I normally don't touch them unless Chummer insists or something. Because I tend to balance things myself anyways. Really I only looked at it most times for the FFG 40K stuff because sometimes it came with fun new goodies.

The idea that they will get some more love with a new book is also quite win. Just hoping against hope that it's not mostly fluff again.

Frankly I kinda feel like Catalyst would do well with all fluff and all crunch books. But then that's just me.

Anyways, thanks again!